Why such limited use of the step generator?

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2006/11/13 13:02:17 (permalink)

Why such limited use of the step generator?

Hi, all:
I've just auditioned most of the programs in the Pads folder, and checked the elements they contain for clues as to how to make this complex instrument go.

I've noticed that only a very rare few elements in a rare few programs contain active step generators. Why is this? I gathered from the press releases that the step generators were a major part of why this instrument is so capable in the area of tempo-synced morphing, and expect to use this feature a lot.

Why do you suppose so few of the examples are made this way?

--thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

4 Replies Related Threads

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Why such limited use of the step generator? 2006/11/13 13:10:18 (permalink)
    I would say that the number of presets which use the StepGen roughly reflects the proportion of sounds with SG's that one would use in a song. Of course, this depends on which type of music each person makes. I can see a heavy use of SG's in ambiental or trance music, but not so much in other genres. Maybe a pad here and there, or a couple rhythmic sequences, but that's all. Too many complex presets and the synth would only be useful for certain applications, and unattractive to people who mostly want the typical basses, pads, and leads.

Just an opinion.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Why such limited use of the step generator? 2006/11/13 13:33:50 (permalink)
    Most patches using 'aggressively' the Step Generator are in the Sequences folder, not in the Pads folder. Same for both expansion packs.

-René
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Why such limited use of the step generator? 2006/11/13 14:15:21 (permalink)
    Yes, try the squencer folders. And there is nothing to stop you from adapting presets to use step generators. I use them most for the filters, since presets using frequencies restrict their atual use.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    thndrsn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 475
    RE: Why such limited use of the step generator? 2006/11/14 06:34:18 (permalink)
    Rene,
    Wow!Great! Thanks, that makes sense, and reassures me that the step generator is, in fact, as useful and powerful a tool as I was expecting it to be.
    I'm on my way to audition the Sequences folder! Thanks again!
    --thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1