Will there be additional features in future versions of X1

Author
syntheticpop
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 688
2011/02/07 17:51:32 (permalink)

Will there be additional features in future versions of X1

or will bug fixes be the only thing that will be baked?  I'm leaning towards upgrading to X1 but from following the forum, a lot of folks have not upgraded and are holding out for their own reasons.  I would like to see more features be introduced to X1 which appears to be very bare bones in my own opinion.  I'm not sure if it's the marketing but it doesn't look like a lot was added since 8.5.   But a lot of folks seem to be sold on Skylight, the new GUI and the Prochannel which may sell me on X1 along with it being easier to learn and use over time.  So here's hoping that a future version of X1 will be similar to what 8.5 was to 8.0 and hopefully it will be a complimentary update similar to what Spectrasonic is doing with Omnisphere.

So in my case, I can stick with the feature rich stable version of 8.5.3 or upgrade to the bare bones, buggy version of X1 and wait for the X1b update in March that's been mentioned -- hoping that Cakewalk will also implement some new features along the way to make it a more feature rich DAW with lots of bells and whistles.   I have to try and convince myself that X1 will have everything I need to make some decent recordings based on only a few new features which may just be good enough for the time being.  As you can see, it's been hard to get be sold onto X1 because of the lack of lots of new features and the cover art being very bland looking.  But I realize it's what's under the hood that revs up the music.

14 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 02:16:09 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that there will only be bug fixes in X1b.

What on earth gives you the impression that there are less features in X1 than 8.5? Some of the mis-information circulating on here?

There wasn't a great deal added, the GUI and workflow were the main improvements, I thought CW were quite honest about that pre-release. The pro channel is one exception. Of course whether the GUI & workflow are improvements all depends on personal opinion. I find both a big improvement, there'll be others along soon to tell you they're not.

I've given up on arguing about that, I'm now getting on with making music.....
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 02:41:12 (permalink)
    syntheticpop

So here's hoping that a future version of X1 will be similar to what 8.5 was to 8.0 and hopefully it will be a complimentary update similar to what Spectrasonic is doing with Omnisphere.

-- hoping that Cakewalk will also implement some new features along the way to make it a more feature rich DAW with lots of bells and whistles.   I have to try and convince myself that X1 will have everything I need to make some decent recordings based on only a few new features which may just be good enough for the time being. 
    In my opinion 8.5 to 8 was nearly what 7 was to 6. It was not just an update. So my guess is that X2 will be to X1 what 8.5 was to 8. New features will surely be introduced. I'm almost sure Cakewalk will keep the yearly upgrades coming, but the name will be X2,3... I guess. No new features for X1 in 2012, I assume.

X1 being "bare bones"??? The forums are full of debate on the radically changed workflow and GUI.
    I haven't tried it, but it does NOT  sound like a small change to me. The main focus in the magazines reviewing X1 seems to be on this change.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    gt2004
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 313
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 02:49:50 (permalink)
    X1 is great and i will never look back at 8.5 again. The fact that you have screen sets this makes it the best DAW for me. i work with editing systems that cost $180,000 and they use screen sets in some way and this make total sense to do so.

The more you use the more you realize its CLEAN looking Easy on the eyes and even though its simple colors its works great for the most part.

The fact that i can hit number 2 on my keyboard and adjust all my envelope settings and hit 1 and back to working again its its't amazing if you ask me. Welcome to the Future of Work-flow.

DUAL Processor XEON W5590
    INTEL 160GB SSD G2
    INTEL 80GB SSD G2
    INTEL 80GB SSD G2
    24GB ECC RAM
    EMU-0404
    Xboard 49
    KRK Rokit PR5, Mackie HR824
    Sonar X1 64 Bit
    Windows 7 64Bit Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGhEm5oqdgE
    Blogman
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 02:58:38 (permalink)
    If you use Audio Quantize, you'll want to wait atleast until X1b.  As of X1a, quantize audio is broken and doesn't do anything. Found out the hard way...
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 02:59:23 (permalink)
    On occasion a few new feature appear in update patches. We may see some in X1b. It depends on what they planed on in the release that did not get in with first version.

I expect X2 will have better MIDI scoring. Or more closer to the truth is I hope.

FBB I totally agree with your post.

Best
    John
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 03:16:45 (permalink)
    +1000000000000 on the screensets BTW. They alone are IMHO worth the upgrade.

Instant switches to 9 other different customised work views, tweak/edit and more importantly instantly jump back to where you were, keeps workflow for me smooth and er...... flowing.  The greatest thing about X1 IMHO.
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 03:43:14 (permalink)
    I think they gave us quite a bit in X1 Producer. We got ...

Pro Channel (which is really a several new plug-in's lumped in to one)
    Studio Instruments - Bass/Piano/Drums/Strings
    Square I Synth (32bit only )
    Cakewalk Sound Center
    Guitar Rig 4 LE

I know some of these are old, but they are still very usable.

That's just the add-on goodies, and for folks like me who can't afford to purchase 3rd party plug-in's, it's a great deal. Not to mention the new GUI, which I really like. More color customization would be nice for those who don't like it, but for me it looks great the way it is.

I just hope Cake does the right thing and fixes all the known issue's before X2 comes out, that's honestly my only issue with all of this.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    brew58ski
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 03:50:13 (permalink)
    I would rather have them fix what they've got than get another VST plugin or whatever.  They seem to be so CLOSE yet so far to making this thing really sweet (IMHO).  The staff view STILL needs some fixin' and, as has been pointed out many times, the quantize needs to be fixed.  Also, given my screen resolution, some scroll bars need to be added, in particular to the Inspector and Control bar.  But these have all been mentioned before  Having said that, what new features (other than tweaking or fixing the ones they have) do you think would be nice to have?
    post edited by brew58ski - 2011/02/08 03:54:02
    Living Room Rocker
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/08 23:16:15 (permalink)
    There will be no more features added to X1 in future version as long as SONAR is referred to X1.  The whole reason that SONAR went through such a change was because additional features could not be added to previous versions in their current state.  Now that SONAR has finally come to full maturity, there is no need for any more features.  SONAR now has and does everything every musician, audio engineer, mix engineer, producer and dj could ever want.  As you will notice, the Feature Request page on Cakewalk's website has been dismantled and most likely could be found on the black market or ebay.  Rest assured, we need not want any longer.

What a wonderful world.
    syntheticpop
    • Total Posts : 688
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/11 15:45:44 (permalink)
    Living Room Rocker

There will be no more features added to X1 in future version as long as SONAR is referred to X1.
    So would you and most X1 users be content with the most current version and its features if Cake never released any new future versions?

I referred to X1 as being bare bones because it introduced a number of its own features but carried over all or most of the features that were bundled with previous versions of Sonar.  So in a sense, just the X1 features alone would make it bare bones but packaged as a whole it's feature rich.  I think once we get to X2 or X3, they will introduce a lot more of their own features and the X plate won't be as bare.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/11 15:51:18 (permalink)
    If the bugs were fixed - I would be yes..... but I'd like to see a few of those features enhanced. A way of saving and loading screensets plus a visual indicator as to whether a set is locked or not would make me very happy.

Bare bones can be applied to just about any release. 8.5 would have been bare bones if it was just the new features and not those from 8.3 and previous versions.
    Thornbird
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/11 16:02:57 (permalink)
    What about features for touch screen and other input devices.
    candlesayshi
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/11 20:26:42 (permalink)
    Thornbird

other input devices.

This. I especially expect OSC support to be added to a future version of SONAR.

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Will there be additional features in future versions of X1 2011/02/11 21:55:49 (permalink)
    the funny thing is that when i was reading the X1 review from both Future Music UK and Computer Music UK, both of them were stating the fact that there are no new features in X1 except prochannel, but they were so amazed of how they have improved the workflow, the aesthetics and stability. well...... I don't know what tests they run over there, if they do at all.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1