Will this run sonar x3

Author
dangars
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
2014/08/21 14:06:33 (permalink)

Will this run sonar x3

Hey guys,

So my computer has given up the ghost and I am what you call skint so a high end computer is out if the question until we can afford it next year.

I have been offered a deal and am not sure on the processor.

Here's what I've been offered:

Windows 7 64bit

8gb ram

1tb hard drive

Now the processor is a intel core 2 quad running at 2.40ghz.

I know the minimum requirement is 2.67ghz but the guy building it has told me as it's a 2 quad it should run my software I'm a bit skeptical about but either way I can collect it Saturday and get back to my music.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks stuart

Asus all in one, 8gb memory,1tb hdd,AMD A6 Elite, Sonar platinum,Focusrite scarlett 2i2 . Axes: Epiphones, Les Paul standard, 56 gold top, LP studio deluxe, fender telecaster paisley reissue, Ibanez ax, an old strat,epiphone el-00 pro, epiphone union jack outfit sheraton. Bass:My wifes sg bass Amps: Laney TF200, Marshall valvestate vs100, orange tiny terror Pedals: a small collection. Alesis Q25

4 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Will this run sonar x3 2014/08/21 16:40:37 (permalink)
    The system requirements are for a core 2 duo 2.67 GHz. Comparing that to a core 2 quad by the clock speed is misleading as the quad is a significantly more powerful CPU than the equivalent core 2 duo. The Core 2 Quad should run any version of Sonar X3, but you are getting a pretty old technology, a couple of generations earlier than the core I3 in your signature. If your current computer is "dead" that does not mean it has given up the ghost. It is very uncommon for all the parts of a computer to fail at once unless it catches fire. You should look into the possibility of salvaging your core I3, and other components rather than building from scratch with ancient technology. Or is the builder just offering to substitute a Core 2 quad in your old machine?
    dangars
    Re: Will this run sonar x3 2014/08/21 16:58:28 (permalink)
    My old system is a laptop and it's overheated and done the motherboard apparently. I've decided to switch to a desktop/tower this time around as my laptop overheated even though it was well ventilated which has caused the problems.

Started playing up a few weeks ago checked for viruses and it came back clean. Started up the next day and it wouldn't load up so we had wiped the system and start again. Everything was okay for a couple of hours and it gave up again, it's now been trying to shut down for over 24hrs.

Basically I just need something to get me going I know it's old technology but we are running low on funds and with the dreaded c word around the corner we can't afford much until the new year. Especially after having to spend all my savings on a complete engine rebuild (bloody cars).

If it runs x3 studio then great but if it doesn't I've wasted money !

I'm not to good with computer technology that's why I'd thought I'd ask for some friendly advice on here.

Thanks for the reply

Asus all in one, 8gb memory,1tb hdd,AMD A6 Elite, Sonar platinum,Focusrite scarlett 2i2 . Axes: Epiphones, Les Paul standard, 56 gold top, LP studio deluxe, fender telecaster paisley reissue, Ibanez ax, an old strat,epiphone el-00 pro, epiphone union jack outfit sheraton. Bass:My wifes sg bass Amps: Laney TF200, Marshall valvestate vs100, orange tiny terror Pedals: a small collection. Alesis Q25
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Will this run sonar x3 2014/08/22 09:02:27 (permalink)
    Before you buy this "older" machine, check out some websites that might offer a newer (possibly more powerful) desktop for the same amount.......there's always something out there.
    What's your budget for this?  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    dangars
    Re: Will this run sonar x3 2014/08/22 16:05:52 (permalink)
    Okay caved in got paid today and bought a new system for double my orginal budget but her in doors gave me permission.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1