Will you watch the Grammies?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/09 17:52:16 (permalink)
Will it be on again?...... in that case....no.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/09 19:53:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KenB123

I watched 20-second of the Grammy's and turned it on to a bunch of people rapping away, one of them being what appeared to be a pregnant woman, who should have definitely kept her pregnancy figure private, not exposed to national TV. I just don't get it.

Guess I'm just uncool and unhip.

That would be M.I.A or MIA.. with her it's a joke.. she's from britan BUT has to go to the states to import music BACK into the UK.. there is a thing about something she did sample wise.. aboriginals and she works with timbo... so have no time for either of them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGrvf7HCZgw&feature=related

some people just ARE about the money and not the music..

on the brighter side, I got a message from a friend to say his wife just had a son..
Marah
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 975
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 00:18:29 (permalink)
Ya I had been looking forward to watching it, though I turned in down a number of times. But I enjoyed it overall, much better than usual.

U2's opening put me off. Not that I dislike em, though I don't love em, but Bono's getting too bono-y for his own bononess.

One of the things that stood out was the duet that Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift did. It wasn't all that great, but that was part of what I liked about it. It was quite modest. Miley (who I don't think I've ever seen perform before) sang in a very conventional country-inflected pop way. She's like 16 and doesn't really have what it takes to put it over... it had a kind of kiddie-act quality to it. Taylor was more interesting. I'd seen her before on SNL and was struck then too by how she doesn't try to overplay what seems like a modest voice. She doesn't fake-belt-out big notes, but seems to be trying to work within her limits. I like that. It comes across as somewhat honest, and the sound of her voice "not great" voice could actually be ok I think if she was singling something worth listening to. They did a song that she wrote, which I thought was interesting, but there was an overtly moralistic line towards the end with a teen-abstinence subtext (not so sub, really) that made me yell nasty things at the TV. Other than that, I enjoyed it more than the typical 'good singer singing good'... How boring is that?

I thought Katy Perry was interesting and enjoyable. You'd expect on a big production number like they did that you'd get pitch-perfect vocals with correction and so on. But no, at least not super obviously... my ear was drawn not to corrections (which I don't care about way) but to things you'd want to fix or redo on a session. She sang through a headset while moving non-stop and so it sounded a bit rough in places... a little out of breath.. and that actually made it sound better. The song she did... the record she simulated... I Kissed a Girl... I think is smart and quite good. I'd love to have written or produced it. 'Manufactured' definitely. But what's not?

Paul McCartney did I Saw Her Standing There and I was fascinated watching his fret fingers... they moved with such grace and ease as he picked the 1/8 notes... it was like watching some strange 4-limbed sea creature crawling along the Hofner's neck. Sure Sir Paul can sleep walk his way through it... maybe that was part of what I was seeing. Dave Grohl on drums.

Alison Kraus and Robert Plant performed with T Bone Burnett and band. It was OK... like how could it not be... but not great. I really want to hear their record. What I've heard of it sounds really good. They won record of the year.

I was looking forward to seeing Rihanna but she pulled out cos her bf (also scheduled to perform) was having legal problems. [Edit: which as it turns out was not a laughing matter.]

Was good to see Radio Head. Interesting textures. (Though not as exciting as TV on the Radio were on SNL the other night.)

Cold Play live up to their name as far as I'm concerned. All I could think about while they did Vida La Vida (which won song of the year) was how Joe Satriani must be feeling. Poor Chris Martin... having to follow U2 and precede Radio Head. Serves him right. Gwyneth should dump the poser.

Stevie Wonder performed with the Jonas Brothers. That's right. Read that sentence again.
post edited by Marah - 2009/02/10 10:37:09
Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 09:38:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Marah
Poor Chris Martin... having to follow U2 and precede Radio Head. Serves him right. Gwyneth should dump the poser.

thats not very nice, put ya claws in , they are married

so your saying about ONE song, out of how many BIG selling albums prior to that ? ... best not buy any of timbo's stuff then, he's in a different league concerning that... lol

as for U2 maybe you haven't seen them live.. I have 2 times.. if you have well they are good showmen.
post edited by Fog - 2009/02/10 09:47:55
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 09:59:39 (permalink)
Fog, did you see Ms. Paltrow introduce Radiohead?

I thought she was about to jump ship :-) She seemed to suggest that the Radiohead were the real thing :-)

The best part about the Radiohead set was their use of a drumline to replicate the beatbox rhythm... it was an entertaining way to distract one from realizing that their retinue could be carted in a laptop.

I thought it was effective theater... in a David Copperfield illusionist sort of way. :-)

best regards,
mike

Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 10:24:23 (permalink)
nah I didn't Mike, but if you've seen her being interviewed.. it's a bit of an in joke.... e.g.. over here she did an interview on the chat show... and the host said.. "so.. whats it's been like married to one of the most successful groups.... radiohead" hehe

some bands HAVE to use laptops etc. I mean the prime example was when Depeche mode was on tv here.. they went back to the synthy sound like the 80's BUT for me it was watered down sounds.. they are big fans of NI stuff..that time they were using reaktor... and more recently said things regarding how they like Massive...

Just because she's married to Chris, doesn't mean she can't like other bands she's an independant person in her own right.. I'm sure like a lot more americans, she liked radiohead for years.. I used to work with loads who were big fans and thats going back hhmm 8+ years.

heck I'd like it more if like you and me we were getting the latest things for free.. although the crystal method do make me laugh in the sense of they seem to be poster boys for anything that comes out..

whether people like it or not, computers are a part of live acts, even rock bands. As to if the stuff is onstage or in the background.. different matter. Much like people have a rack in the 80's and 90's on stage and normally you'd see an akai sampler in the rack.

edit : I did see it just now.. so she's bigging up radiohead... she's a presenter... it's a bit like seeing a cake video.. could you imagine if Brandon/Robin/Seth were downbeat and in a bad mood? haha.. it really wouldn't exactly come across as they were enthusiastic about their company or the products.. hopefully you see the logic in that.

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/10 10:35:43
The Maillard Reaction
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 10:49:54 (permalink)
Hi Fog,

I'm certainly not against computers... I think I would have enjoyed the set/song even better if the stage was bare except for the two Radioheads and a laptop laying on the stage. :-)

I don't get Radiohead... and over here in the States all the die hard fans I encounter and have discussions with seem to not really be serious fans of either popular or counter culture music and so they describe radio head as both lyrically innovative and socially pertinent... which I find difficult to agree with.

I have two of their albums and do find the vibe compelling but the whole time I'm listening I can't help but think that several of the songs could be huge if someone would sing them with the intent of singing in tune and actually expressing the emotions as suggested by the lyrics. I mean, if you didn't understand English you'd have no idea what the guy is whining about... whereas you don't need language to interepret say for example an Aretha Franklin song... her performances transcend launguage and that' why we call that "music".

I have an extensive "art school sound" background so I'm open to an *I don't care if you get it* style but somehow the "heads" non committal blend of insipid pop and too cool for art school bad singing doesn't impress me as being near the boundaries of any cultural envelope.

It's like my take on many forms of music... I dig the music, but I'm befuddled by the primary audience. :-)

I think the Heads are very clever and they have leveraged some really powerful ideas that occur in people's subconscious... but so does the advertising industry... my point is... most of their fans that I encounter are into the message they perceive rather than the music. I find that curious, because after all, we are talking about "musicians" and "music".

Also I wanted to let you know that I do want to hear some drum and bass stuff... I think I'd really enjoy it :-)

best regards,
mike

Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 12:01:52 (permalink)
ah you heard soul beat runna from the other post Mike?

Trip to the Moon - Acen
Mr Kirks nightmare - 4hero
helicopter - deep blue
Valley of the shadows - Origin Unknown
The Chameleon - Links
Don't Punish Me - Dom & Roland (it's Dom and his Roland equipment in reality..hehe)
Still Waters - Basic Influence ,
The angels fell - Dillinja
Journey Into the Light - 4hero ,
Greater Love - Soundman, Don Lloydie & Elizabeth Troy
Celebrate Life - Nookie
Technology - Ed Rush & Nico
5 Miles High - TMF
Cyantific feat. Diane Charlemagne
Just Memories - Alix Perez

thats only a VERY few.. I guess part of it is that there was no specific boundaries set with the music, which is what I liked and the fact so many of the people making it were local to me (all 5-10 minutes up the road) . All sorts of people made / make it also. Thats not all the latest stuff, thats spanning from 89 onwards.. You need a decent sub to listen to some of them though.hehe

but this is currently one I have a lot of time for >
Look Inside - 4hero feat. face (nu tone remix)

but 4hero are doing a different style for a while now.. this is the original >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3gA4jucwfg

but I like both versions equally.

but it's all subjective.. as much as I go to the tate art gallery and see some of the "supposed" art there..
post edited by Fog - 2009/02/10 12:10:57
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 15:29:46 (permalink)
The best part about the Radiohead set was their use of a drumline to replicate the beatbox rhythm...

So now they're stealing from Gwen Stefani?

My introduction to Radiohead was the album "The Bends"... I forget which song. All I remember was that I couldn't stand the snare drum sound on it. Utterly painful to me. Ever since then, I've heard a few tracks from them I've liked (not enough to know their name) but mostly ...eh...
Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 17:32:13 (permalink)
tarsier.. Gwen's not the first if it's the effect I'm thinking of.

was it a beatbox instead of drums? e.g. the drums replaced with someone beatboxing.. if someone can find the clip.. cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIXYLOxBPhk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDI8IOXaQ8Y&NR=1

roni size was dropping that in hmm 97-98 or whenever his reprezent album was nu forms was out...

but there is very little now that people haven't done years ago..

tarsier
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 17:48:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Fog
tarsier.. Gwen's not the first if it's the effect I'm thinking of.

was it a beatbox instead of drums? e.g. the drums replaced with someone beatboxing.. if someone can find the clip.. cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIXYLOxBPhk&feature=related

No, not that at all. I tried but couldn't find a clip of Gwen Stefani doing Holla Back Girl on SNL a while back. She used a drumline for the drums--a group of people playing marching band percussion. It also included a nice marching brass section. And for that matter, Paul Simon did the drumline thing on that album after Graceland. And it all stemmed from New Orleans dixieland back in the day. Which evolved out of...
The Maillard Reaction
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 20:08:03 (permalink)
Fog, I'll check some of that out next time I'm in town.

The thing about the drum line is that the arrangement had an uncanny effect of sounding like a really funky Battery 3 type sound with a real mechanical but soulful groove. It was clever.

best,
mike

Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/10 20:23:03 (permalink)
tarsier , I did find that song.. what you said about the first to do it, that was the point, it's hard to find things that others haven't done previously (even the current trend of using un-cleared chip music) .. I mean marching bands do the same thing with pop tunes right? hehe

I haven't listened to graceland in a long time.. Just thinking that must be 20 years old? I just looked it's 22 years old. wow.

maybe it was more of a case of just doing drum replacement.. I mean.. if it's a loop.. you just cut out the hit points.

Mike the whole groove thing, reason (which is what I'm very familiar with ) has done for a long and MPC's etc.. .. like you can use the groove of say the drums as a quantize for the rest of the tune.
post edited by Fog - 2009/02/10 20:28:30
Nate
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 10:38:13 (permalink)
Big Old Fleetwood Mac used the USC Drumline way long before any of these whippersnappers were being considered as Children.
Mike Fisher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1374
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 11:24:21 (permalink)
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 12:01:46 (permalink)
Katy Perry IS a cute little thing. But you don't hear much good music at the Grammies. Kid Rock in contention for a song that combines Lynyrd Skynyrd with a Warren Zevon piano? He should be embarrassed. Really, the best reason to watch (not to be crass) is the miles of cleavage. Jennifer Hudson's brown half moons appearing and disappearing beneath a blue horizon........not to be indelicate

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 12:13:17 (permalink)
Jennifer Hudson's brown half moons appearing and disappearing beneath a blue horizon..

That's some imagination you've got there...

post edited by RLD - 2009/02/11 12:29:08
JSGlen
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 856
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 13:29:58 (permalink)
GK,

I like several of the acts you listed, but not many acts today can perform live and sound good. I guess watching many of them lip sync just put me on a perch! There is just not much talent out there IMHO. But, then again, I'm an old fart.

ADK Quad Pro, Intel Core i7 3770 IVB 3.5 Ghz, Windows 7 64
Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 15:22:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RLD

Jennifer Hudson's brown half moons appearing and disappearing beneath a blue horizon..

That's some imagination you've got there...

Naw, that's what she wore when she accepted her award. She was considerably more appealing to the eye during her overwrought performance. Here's a link to the video:

http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/redcarpet/2009/article/0,,20248264_20257697,00.html
post edited by mcourter - 2009/02/11 15:34:18

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 17:57:51 (permalink)
No I'm not gonna watch them.
When are they on?
tarsier
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/11 19:42:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Fog
tarsier , I did find that song.. what you said about the first to do it, that was the point, it's hard to find things that others haven't done previously (even the current trend of using un-cleared chip music) .. I mean marching bands do the same thing with pop tunes right? hehe

Ah, I see where the communication breakdown happened. I never said Stefani was the first to do it, I just said (in essence) that Radiohead stole the drumline idea from her. She was just a recent in a long line of drumline stealers. Because lesser artists borrow, great artists steal.

(oh, no, I didn't just imply that Gwen Stefani or Radiohead are great artists)
Fog
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/12 10:07:12 (permalink)
tarsier.. to me Gwen is more about image.. radio head.. well a bit arty and about the human condtition (whatever that is ) , lets just say a lot of their tracks aren't exactly happy clappy.

to me they aren't even in the same league, but again of course thats subjective / personal taste. Not just because they are brits , I'd same the same if they were from timbuktu

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/12 10:08:30
peggysuechan
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 581
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/13 01:39:31 (permalink)
Er, there's a show called "Grammies"?

Edit: Oh, you mean the Grammy Awards. Didn't know they aired it. Never saw it before. I guess not.
post edited by peggysuechan - 2009/02/13 01:47:10
fep
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1186
RE: Will you watch the Grammies? 2009/02/13 11:25:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

Cold Play live up to their name as far as I'm concerned. All I could think about while they did Vida La Vida (which won song of the year) was how Joe Satriani must be feeling.

How is Satriani feeling? .... Probably like he's going to make more money off that song than all his other songs combined.

I imagine there'll be a settlement with a nondisclosure agreement, Satriani get's big bucks, Colplay get's their 'reputation' protected, and the public hears nothin.

Some of My Tunes

HS 6 XL, M-audio Delta 44, Digitech GNX3000, Dell Dimension 8400 Pentuim 4 3.4 Ghz, 2GB Ram
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1