Helpful ReplyWin 7 update problem. Genius needed!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kakku
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1646
2016/11/25 03:33:28 (permalink)

Win 7 update problem. Genius needed!

Hi. I have problems updating my Windows 7. I tried to use the automatic and the manual modes, but Windows never finds anything. It just keeps on looking for updates. I used the automatic update fixing software that Microsoft has made but it does not solve the problem even though it sometimes says that it has fixed all the problems including the update problem and a registry problem. It would be really nice if someone could help me. As a reward I can only give a million thanks.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/25 09:02:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2016/11/25 22:23:34
kakku
Hi. I have problems updating my Windows 7. I tried to use the automatic and the manual modes, but Windows never finds anything. It just keeps on looking for updates. I used the automatic update fixing software that Microsoft has made but it does not solve the problem even though it sometimes says that it has fixed all the problems including the update problem and a registry problem. It would be really nice if someone could help me. As a reward I can only give a million thanks.

It's all about KB 3172605.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3136677/microsoft-windows/how-to-speed-up-windows-7-update-scans-forever.html

Install this patch and your update problems should be solved.

You can always leave automatic updates enabled, unhide any hidden patches, and hope Windows update eventually gets this one applied.  Or you can jump right on it

Edit 11/27: Updated the link to one that works ... article dated Nov 4, 2016
post edited by abacab - 2016/11/27 09:58:04

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/25 11:30:28 (permalink)
I've had the same most vexing issue on my pcs. It sends my family pc into a tither at 50% cpu endlessly.

I've tried all the homegrown stuff I know as a former techie, including what you have astutely described as your attempts.

What has worked, I set the automatic updates to let Microsoft rule over my machines and household (in other words download and install everything at 3AM without my permission), I turn my head and cough and Walk Away, Joe Walsh style.

To my surprise, I get downloads in the afternoon, and the install by the next morning.

If I revert my settings, endless downloading and 50% cpu.

So I go with the flow and Let It Be.

It works for me...

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/25 12:57:01 (permalink)
In a worst case scenario, you can download an iso of an up to date version from Microsoft and do a repair installation on your current version. 

https://www.microsoft.com...ware-download/windows7

http://www.pcgamer.com/ho...-without-reformatting/
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/25 13:54:30 (permalink)
I had this problem back in September after performing a fresh install of W7 on a Laptop a friend grave me that had come with W8.0 
It was his daughters and she had made a huge mess of it.. it would not even boot, turned out the HD ( 900GB) was crammed full of downloads to the point the OS couldn't even open. 
The restore utility could not run because of this. I had to pull the drive and format in another machine. 
I tried to use the W8.0 licence with my 8.1 disk but 8.0 and 8.1 use different serials. So I grabbed my trusty W7 disk and managed a clean install. It's long in the tooth so it needs a tonne of updating. 
It would just sit and go round and round for hours and then say it couldn't update because of server errors? 

I went on a computer nerd forum ( NCIX)  and everyone was ranting about how MS was putting a throttle on the W7 updates bandwidth to make life miserable for those turning there nose up at W10. True or not it sort of seemed this way. They all claimed, as above, that the only solution was to set it on automatic and leave it alone for a few days.. This is what worked for me in the end. I think it took 5 days. 

I just recently inherited my mother in laws HP desktop. It is an impressive i7 quad core. sandybridge. 10 GB ram.. It came with W7 Home and a  1TB 7200 HD. The whole family has been messing with it for 4 years so I thought best to slap a SSD drive in it and re build. 
I used my same old trusty W7 Ultimate disk again but this time the updated ran smoothly right away and within less than a day it was 100% good to go. 
So possibly this is something at MS servers and there's a limitation on the bandwidth. 
Now that everything is a download you can see this happening... And just think of the crazy bandwidth that W10 update is using alone. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

kakku
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/26 02:14:16 (permalink)
A trillion thanks to everybody who helped and advised. I will try these fixes when I get back home. I hope the tips help.

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
kakku
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/27 06:32:12 (permalink)
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/27 10:05:40 (permalink)
soens
abacab
It's all about KB 3172605.

http://www.infoworld.com/...ate-scans-forever.html

Install this patch and your update problems should be solved.

Sorry, the link is a dead end.

Go here: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3099109/microsoft-windows/microsoft-yanks-buggy-speed-up-patch-kb-3161608-replaces-it-with-kb-3172605-and-3172614.html

Or: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Sorry, apparently some Infoworld editors must have moved the article around.  Here it is:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3136677/microsoft-windows/how-to-speed-up-windows-7-update-scans-forever.html

I corrected the link in my earlier post to the newer Infoworld article above. 

The article you link to is an older one, published back in July.

kakku
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/11/28 02:02:39 (permalink)
Thanks again guys!

kakku
kakku
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/01 05:01:09 (permalink)
Great! I just tried the Infoworld's tip and it erased the update problem. Thanks again:)

kakku
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/01 08:52:26 (permalink)
kakku
Great! I just tried the Infoworld's tip and it erased the update problem. Thanks again:)

+1

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

kakku
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/06 13:46:34 (permalink)
abacab
kakku

+1

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Thanks. I looked for solutions for my problem but I could not find one that would have solved it.

kakku
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 08:43:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2016/12/07 08:58:52
If you install Win7 (at this point in time)... and go to check for updates, it can literally take ~12 hours for Windows updates to appear.  This was not the case in the past, and I'm guessing it's not complete happen-stance.
MS is trying to influence folks to move to Win10.

Installing the hotfixes manually will allow you to work around the issue.
The update process functions normal after doing so...

Once Win7 is fully up-to-date, make sure to create a backup image file (prior to installing any software or additional hardware).  This will allow you to quickly reinstall a clean Win7 (including all updates).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 08:58:48 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Once Win7 is fully up-to-date, make sure to create a backup image file (prior to installing any software or additional hardware).  This will allow you to quickly reinstall a clean Win7 (including all updates).

^^^this

which also prompts me to check if they have a patched/updated/slipstreamed version available, save all the hoo-ha

just a sec

kakku
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 09:19:11 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
If you install Win7 (at this point in time)... and go to check for updates, it can literally take ~12 hours for Windows updates to appear.  This was not the case in the past, and I'm guessing it's not complete happen-stance.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to make a image of the current fully working state of Windows. I only need to find a good piece software for that.

kakku
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 09:20:33 (permalink)
kakku
Jim Roseberry

Thanks for the tips. I will try to make a image of the current fully working state of Windows. I only need to find a good piece software for that.

Macrium Reflect Free will do the job.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Just offering a solution here.  Others will probably suggest their favorites.  But this one is dependable, popular, with user friendly instructions, and automatically builds the recovery environment with the drivers that you need to restore your system with.

It's not a backup plan if you are unable to restore the image

abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 09:31:24 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

+1

Making an image afterwards is the best advice. 

Also make sure you have the Win 7 SP-1 DVD to install from initially, or it can be extra painful to update with the service pack first, then all of the years accumulation of updates on top of that.

Restoring from a clean image actually takes very little time, depending on your setup as far as disk throughput and size of the image.  Unfortunately if you make major hardware swaps, such as MB & CPU, you may still need to clean install...

I just did a clean install recently on my Win 7 machine, and imaged afterwards, because I don't wish to repeat that process any time soon!  This is really handy in case the OS gets borked and you just want to start fresh (the same day).

AntManB
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/07 11:34:31 (permalink)
pwalpwal

which also prompts me to check if they have a patched/updated/slipstreamed version available, save all the hoo-ha

Not quite, but you can download the "convenience update" which includes all updates up to April 2016 to speed things up a bit.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3125574

AMB

JayCee99
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 08:45:55 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

I just dealt with the same problem on a clean install of Windows 8.1.  The first 850 megs or so of updates went smoothly.  Then it would just be "Checking for Updates" forever.  I eventually got it to work by manually installing one of the updates and then running the "Windows Update Troubleshooter" but it took a while to figure out.  It showed 206 updates were required at 1.2GB!  After that, now everything is working smoothly.

There's a lot of advice online on how to handle this problem so be careful.

My advice would be:
1) After the clean install, let Windows have a few hours to install drivers, etc without doing any updates.
2) After that, manually run Windows Update over and over until you get to the point where it searches for updates indefinitely (they say an hour online)
3) At that point, search for the "Windows Update troubleshooter" online for your Windows version and run that.  Note that this is a later and better version than the troubleshooter that comes with Windows.  It will probably find and fix errors.  Don't get too excited yet because that might not fix the issue.  Try rebooting and running Windows Update again.
4) If that doesn't work, search the Windows forums.  There are one or two KB updates that address issues with Windows Update but it varies by Windows version.  Install those (you may have to manually kill the Windows Update service to do so.  Go into the "Local Services" management tool in Windows, right click "Windows Update" service and select "Stop"). Otherwise the updates will "Search for Installed Updates" indefinitely. (If you get stuck in this, go to task manager and kill "wupi.exe"). For me it only took one update being manually installed, and I'm not 100% sure that it even was what made the difference. Reboot after installing.
5) After step 4, try steps 2 and 3 again.  That's what ended up working for me.  Eventually I ran the troubleshooter and it went from "Searching for Updates" to showing me 206 available updates.  It was a glorious moment.

One other note, I wouldn't recommend manually making any changes to the Windows Update folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.  The Troubleshooting tool will do that for you.

I didn't make a backup image file, although I should have.  I like to live on the wild side :)

Sonar Platinum
Audio Interface: Focusrite 18i8 ASIO Interface 
Keys: Korg Kronos 88, Alesis VI25
Windows 8.1 x64 Laptop, 8GB RAM, i7 CPU
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 09:00:03 (permalink)
rlared
I didn't make a backup image file, although I should have.  I like to live on the wild side :)

If I was planning to keep that hardware for a while, I would rather have a fully patched image to restore from, than to have to repeat a clean install + update.   Windows 8.1 even includes a free imaging utility ...

JayCee99
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 11:44:01 (permalink)
abacab
rlared

If I was planning to keep that hardware for a while, I would rather have a fully patched image to restore from, than to have to repeat a clean install + update.   Windows 8.1 even includes a free imaging utility ...

I agree, I should have done it.  I just didn't really think of it until it was too late and I had already installed a bunch of DAW software, etc.  Next time I do a clean wipe I'll definitely do an image backup once all the updates have installed.  I like to wipe the computer and reinstall windows every 1-2 years anyway.

Sonar Platinum
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 12:36:07 (permalink)
There's no reason to avoid taking an image now, as long as things are stable.  You will have a nice restore point with your DAW software in working order to go back to.  Last known good working state.  I take one monthly ... before each Windows and/or Sonar update.

JayCee99
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 20:22:07 (permalink)
OK I only have a single hard drive in my laptop.  The image would be about 100 gigs.  My hard drive is 1TB so there's space.  How would that work?  Would I create a separate partition to hold the image?  

Sonar Platinum
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/13 20:31:08 (permalink)
rlared
OK I only have a single hard drive in my laptop.  The image would be about 100 gigs.  My hard drive is 1TB so there's space.  How would that work?  Would I create a separate partition to hold the image?  

To take an image of the system partition, you need to write to somewhere other than the partition you are backing up.  A secondary internal drive, or an external USB drive is perfect!

I use a couple of really cheap USB2 external drives.  I alternate them each time I make a backup image in case one craps out, then I will have at least the other one to fall back with.  Poor man's RAID setup, LOL!  But one is really all you need.

As you can see here, the 1TB drives are running around $50 now.  Cheap insurance to keep your sanity!
https://www.amazon.com/s/...amp;sort=relevancerank

If you go this route, and the built-in Windows imaging utility seems too techy, then have a look at Macrium Reflect Free.  Very user friendly and fully documented in the user guide.  It can get the job done, as well as step you through setting up a recovery reboot disk or thumb drive. You can use that to boot from and restore that image with.  Really useful if your system won't boot one day

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 05:41:41 (permalink)
abacab
I use a couple of really cheap USB2 external drives.  I alternate them each time I make a backup image in case one craps out, then I will have at least the other one to fall back with.  Poor man's RAID setup, LOL!  But one is really all you need.

guilty of using that poor man's RAID system, either. very effective.

also has the advantage that you can store it in different places in case your DAW goes up in flames or under water.
no disadvantages really, other than in case you get divorced, your wife may have a legal right to claim one of the 2 drives ;-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 08:23:18 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
abacab

no disadvantages really, other than in case you get divorced, your wife may have a legal right to claim one of the 2 drives ;-)

Nah, she gets the house and truck, I keep the dog and DAW ...

JayCee99
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 08:32:09 (permalink)
OK thanks for the tips.  I'll pick up a 1TB external hard drive.  That's big enough for me to do one "base" backup image of my hard drive plus an additional few images that get updated every few weeks.

One question, can you open an image file and view the file structure from within Windows?  Like if I have an image from a month ago, can I open it and just copy a few files out of it?

Sonar Platinum
abacab
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 09:00:38 (permalink)
rlared
One question, can you open an image file and view the file structure from within Windows?  Like if I have an image from a month ago, can I open it and just copy a few files out of it?

I can do this with a Windows native image. Windows imaging utility uses the .vhd file extension.  In Windows Disk Management, you can click Action > Attach VHD, browse to the image file, then mount by assigning a drive letter.

After that, the image is mounted just like any drive on the system.  You can browse the entire file structure of your main partition with File Explorer, and you can drag and drop from it to any other drive if you just need to recover some files or folders. 

Windows 7 Image utility (Win 7, 8, 10) tutorial.  In Windows 8.1 Create a system image is hidden under "File History".
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

I keep a few old system images around from past builds that I can refer back to, from time to time, if it seems like I misplaced something during a clean install

Macrium can do this too, just with a slightly different process, outlined here:
http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer

JayCee99
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 10:09:14 (permalink)
That's fantastic, thanks for the info.  Windows Native disk image should work fine for me, I think I will be able to figure it out.  I should have done this a while ago, would have saved me numerous headaches since I like to wipe my system every now and then.  I am in the perfect spot to create a backup right now, I just downloaded all the Windows updates plus my DAW software, VI's and 100 gigs of libraries, but haven't really done anything else.

Glad to know that next time I need to wipe everything, it will take an hour instead of a few days to get everything back up and running.

Sonar Platinum
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Win 7 update problem. Genius needed! 2016/12/14 10:13:31 (permalink)
abacab
I can do this with a Windows native image. Windows imaging utility uses the .vhd file extension.  In Windows Disk Management, you can click Action > Attach VHD, browse to the image file, then mount by assigning a drive letter.

After that, the image is mounted just like any drive on the system.  You can browse the entire file structure of your main partition with File Explorer, and you can drag and drop from it to any other drive if you just need to recover some files or folders. 

learned something real good here. thanks a lot!

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1