Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/04/26 20:05:39 (permalink)

Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10145952

-- 3.5 minutes

-- re-produced by Philip Traynor, and That Heavenly Choir.

Vicent performs lush classical guitar counters.

That Heavenly Choir performs the quartet ensemble:  Philip, Caleb, Josh, and Joy

A few months ago, at my obscure church, I discovered this obscure but totally awesome hymn by: Leon Ellis ... Its so obsure that I can't even find the lyrics on the web! 

'Tis My first 'official hymn' and cover.  Mechanical License is secured by Tenn Printing Co. in 2011.

With unworldly hope and joy, I now present this to you all for any constructive lashings, ponderings, or such.

Thankyou for your excellent thoughts and time.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

23 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/26 20:26:57 (permalink)
    I listened. It's a nice message, and the recording is beautiful.
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/26 21:59:52

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/26 20:45:04 (permalink)
    Wow this is insane!! (in a good way!!) I wouldn't even know where to start on recording a piece like this. The different voices, instruments, arrangement... it's just so unique! It could have easily been a train wreck mixing all of these things together, but in some weird way it just works. Impressive!!!
    Philip
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/27 23:04:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Robbie and Dave for your swift listens and crits ...

First thing that strikes me is there's too much in the 4kHz range and some shriekiness that curses my mixes.

The "train wreck" cacaphony is my signature ... learning to take a bunch of bombarded inspiration and paint a picture with the givens.

Thanks again, guys!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/27 23:25:33 (permalink)
    Hello Philip,

This obscure cover has you returning  to your melodic style with lush vocals and colorful percussive punctuations.  Very nice.  Your mixing/arranging skills are sharp. 
    Vicente is great on this as is That Heavenly Choir.

Amen!

Holy Cow, Philip, I hope you and yours are safe and out of harms way!  Let us know.
    post edited by No How - 2011/04/28 11:39:16

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/28 21:27:06 (permalink)
    a bump and a promise to listen soon when i have time sir!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/28 22:57:24 (permalink)
    I agree with Dave. This works wonderfully.

String Jammer
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/29 00:15:31 (permalink)
     Has the familiar sound of childhood cartoon movies like "the hobbit " but very clever and unique. Great title and hook, wonderful innocent sounding, voices lovely instrumentation. Production sounds pro on the cans.   

Me

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/29 01:22:26 (permalink)
    Hey Philip the arrangement sounds great.  Alot of cool detail and layers.  The production was equally good.  Great job!

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/29 11:56:54 (permalink)
    Hi Philip,

I had to chime in on this because well, I kinda stalk you these days watching your growth. :)

I dig the song, the message as well as all the different textures, panning and styles in this. The little kid singing is just precious! Ok, now that I've given you some praise...let's take a look at a few subjective areas.

I'm hearing a few "s" sounds and some hard C sounds and D sounds that could be a little smoother. This of course is just me and how I listen to my own stuff, but I've always been a lunatic with hard sounds or excessives S's. You're not bad here, but there are a few of these coming through from time to time to my ears.

Next, when the drums come in at like 0:56, I felt they over-powered things just a bit. The vocals were present, but not as audible. One thing I try to do in situations like this is to totally forget that I know the words as well as what is coming next and put myself in the place of the first time listener. When I was first getting into engineering, I would always be a bit light on the levels of my own vocals due to being too ashamed of my voice. What fixed me was to mix the levels where I thought they should be and automatically raise my vocals +0.5dB more no matter what. In time I was able to teach myself a good level and of course from singing so much, I accepted my voice/sound and got used to it.

But you have a monster track here in my opinion and I think you did very well with it. The things I've mentioned are subjective of course, but give a listen now that I've brought them up and see if you too can hear what I hear. If not, the mix is pretty healthy as is in my opinion and again, you have proved how much of a good engineer you actually are. :) Glad those recent storms didn't harm you or your family.

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/29 12:15:12 (permalink)
     I would agree with unique. When I read "hymn" I expected something different. The tune has a very clean well defined sound to me. The kids voices are cute and right on the mark...those kids have good intonation(or your good with vocal correction.)
     Great job man!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/29 14:01:55 (permalink)
    very cool as ever. not utterly convinced of the greatness of the hymn myself, but you do a sterling job on it. there are a few 'straight' versions on youtube - needless to say this is far better than those!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Philip
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/04/30 20:58:52 (permalink)
    Danny, MGH, Tim, Mike, OhGrant, Scotty, Rick, and all,

Thanks for your patience in my responding! I'll respond indepth later, Lord willing, after immense tornado damage is 'repaired'. My roof damages are slight compared to others ... but still no electric for awhile now!

I'm at a Jack's now (in Gadsden, AL), which has WiFi and electric.

Thank you all for your spot-on comments and excellent crits. Suffice it to say I will continue to relish your crits and listen/study your excellent works.

Philip  

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/02 21:37:48 (permalink)
    I've heard this one, but certainly not done this way.  It's unusual like all your songs, but it works.  Nice!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/02 22:08:46 (permalink)
    nice Philip!  I"m not fond of the intro and I'm with Danny on the drums coming in too loud over the vox.  but other than that, this is a nice producition!

kudos to Caleb, Josh & Joy!  very good job guys!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Philip
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/02 23:10:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Danny, Reece, Janet and all for your thoughts.  (I've recovered well from the tornados and power is now on in most of Huntsville, AL)

I've made corrections per Danny and Reece, but have other tweeks to make before re-posting (... after listening to Danny's latest collob with Tony, Bapu, and Phil ... which I relish).

I suppose in a strong chorus one should:

1) Raise the vocs levels and widen them or compress them more
    2) Raise instrument levels and add percussives (though my beatz, per Reece, may be a little quirky ... but I tried without and it was dulls-ville -- without those beatz ... haha)
    3) HPF the lead voc to be more to clear
    4) Be bolder, nastier, and more vibrant

blessings all!

Philip  

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 13:10:39 (permalink)
    Philip, this is awesome.  So different than anything else up here.  Many people on this forum here doing unique things.  I love that Heavenly Choir.  It's all done so nicely. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 18:25:01 (permalink)
    Just an amazing job on this.  I wouldn't know where to start with a piece like this, but you've done a wonderful job with it, Philip.  I always enjoys hearing those children sing.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 19:11:46 (permalink)
    A Huge WOW Philip. The production on this is top shelf. Bravo.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 21:11:47 (permalink)
    Phillip,
    I'm really glad I was meandering through the song forums today and noticed your latest.  Great song and great work put into it!  I love the production and the approach you gave to the hymm.  Very creative and definitely worth more then one listen.  Also loved the child's addition.  I did notice the things Danny Danzi mentioned (listened on my old Yamaha NS-10M's), but I figure you've heard enough about that stuff. 
    I put it on my SC station so that I can just ENJOY it more.
    Make more please!!!

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 22:06:19 (permalink)
    I thought I was watching a big movie production!

What a production.  I can imagine this would be difficult to pull off effectively and you certainly did that.

Kudos to all.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 22:23:17 (permalink)
    Philip, this is just great. What a great musician you are - and your message is right on.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Philip
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/03 23:27:57 (permalink)
    Arlen (Mr Grant), You are too kind!  You've given me the utmost encouragement adding this to your SC station (I chimed there).  I'll implement the chorus tweaks on SC per Danny and you, after fixing a couple other bugs, hopefully by weekend.

I've got a lot to learn from all you musical giants around me --haha!  Lord-willing, I'll have 2 'special forum-member-collabs' to offer this Spring.

Warren,  I wondered where you were.  Thanks so much for your encouragement and faithful listen.  I'm always so glad and humbled by your comments.

Tim, Thanks so much for your encouraging and professional validation.  I'm tweaking portions (per Danny) ... but with your ears I am more confident that I'm in the ball-park.  I'm awaiting your next performance(s).

Clean, Mark, that encourages me; I'm a quirky hacker at best, and consider you a far greater musician than me.  Vicent, OTOH, is a great musician like yourself, and I stole his blessings.

Daryl, Thanks for your kind words.  Of course, much of this is layered EWQL MIDI stuff.  You know I'm a fan of your most excellent productions and performances.

Philz, I utterly love your vox in your duet with Tony.  Thanks so much for your encouraging listen.

Philip  

julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Win the Lost At Any Cost -- a Hymn Ensemble: Featuring Vicent on Guitar 2011/05/04 15:04:21 (permalink)
    Good heavens, one just never knows what's going to come out of the speakers when you click a Phillip song!  It's got all sorts of everything all melded together... Salsa Beatles!  :D

Your creativity is inspiring.  And your child is so precious....

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1