Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe)

Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
2016/11/01 14:21:43 (permalink)

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe)

http://www.infoworld.com/...dy-for-prime-time.html

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 

12 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 06:44:42 (permalink)
    I saw the reference to that article on the tenforums.com.  I haven't had any problems with Win 10, even with the original version, except for Roland compatibility and that was Roland's fault for either not supporting Win 10 with some (old) hardware or not having Win 10 drivers for current production items when Win 10 was rolled out.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 11:46:00 (permalink)
    The point of the article is not to take a swing at Windows 10.  I like Windows 10 and think it is the best Windows ever.  It is working great for me now on version 1511, and that is good enough.

But upgrading to the latest version of the OS has become a crapshoot, apparently, due to insufficient Microsoft QA testing.  MS appears to be relying on their broad user base to report issues with each release version, which then get resolved in subsequent patches.  So letting it bake for a few extra months is good advice.  I'll take mine fully patched please

In my opinion, if your current OS is stable and compatible with your current hardware and software, there's no need to rush into the latest just to have the latest.  If there is a feature upgrade you really want, or a fix to an old issue you need, then it's worth the risk.

Otherwise the OS's job is just to stay in the background and let you run your applications on the PC.  If what you already have meets your needs, why take a chance?

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 12:24:21 (permalink)
    abacab
     MS appears to be relying on their broad user base to report issues with each release version, which then get resolved in subsequent patches.  So letting it bake for a few extra months is good advice.  I'll take mine fully patched please

Shall we call this strategy "rolling updates," " continuous development," or "the mandatory SONAR model?" 
    fireberd
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 14:29:56 (permalink)
    I'm also in the "Insider" program and get pre-releases of Win 10.  I've been in it since early In the program.  I have Sonar installed on the pre-release version(s) to see if there are any issues with Sonar.  Even way back (about a year before the release of Win 10) Sonar ran without problems.  Even my Roland Octa-Capture and PCR500 keyboard ran with the pre-releases (Win 8.1 drivers worked), but unfortunately did not with the final version.

As all my software (and hardware) work with the pre-releases, the official version releases are not an issue for me. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 20:02:10 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    abacab
     MS appears to be relying on their broad user base to report issues with each release version, which then get resolved in subsequent patches.  So letting it bake for a few extra months is good advice.  I'll take mine fully patched please

Shall we call this strategy "rolling updates," " continuous development," or "the mandatory SONAR model?" 

No.

abacab
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/03 20:06:16 (permalink)
    fireberd
    I'm also in the "Insider" program and get pre-releases of Win 10.  I've been in it since early In the program.  I have Sonar installed on the pre-release version(s) to see if there are any issues with Sonar.  Even way back (about a year before the release of Win 10) Sonar ran without problems.  Even my Roland Octa-Capture and PCR500 keyboard ran with the pre-releases (Win 8.1 drivers worked), but unfortunately did not with the final version.

As all my software (and hardware) work with the pre-releases, the official version releases are not an issue for me. 

I'm glad to hear that method works well for you.  But I would not recommend that to a non-technical musician.

I have been working with computers for 40 years, and have rarely beta tested anything.  I value stability and compatibility above all else.  I try to stay one version behind the curve.

fireberd
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/04 10:34:51 (permalink)
    There are "non techies" that will/have "shot themselves in the foot" trying to get new OS' (any OS, not just Win 10) running properly.  I remember problems when Win 3.0 came along then 3.1 then XP, then problems with Vista (Win 7 was basically what Vista should have been), Win 8/8.1, etc. 

I too go "way back" with computers.  First one I worked on was a special purpose NASA Apollo tracking station Telemetry processor. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    TerraSin
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1975
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/05 04:07:19 (permalink)
    I'm having to format my parents computer tomorrow because updating to W10AE has been freezing every time I try to do it. This is a known bug that has been known for several months now and MS has done nothing to fix it. Formatting has been the last option but I'm tired of troubleshooting the damn thing. It's a waste of my time.

I was a huge Windows 10 fanboy for a year but MS has done everything they could to change that. I've gone as far to install linux on my laptop in an attempt to see if it's anymore viable to move all my daily computers over to it cause I'm so sick of dealing with MS's BS.
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/06 18:19:26 (permalink)
    Well I was going to say just install version 1511.  But it appears that MS has wiped that from their Win 10 Media Creation Tool, and only offer the 1607 Anniversary Edition download now ... even checked with the MSDN subscriber downloads page ... smh 

A thought just occurred to me that it might pay to keep a local archive of all Win 10 download versions for rollback purposes going forward if MS is going to pull this kind of crap ...

The Grim
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/06 18:34:39 (permalink)
    link removed just in case 

if you dare :)

i have the original direct from microsoft stored away, i'm not moving from 1511 until if and when it is necessary. updates have been disabled for months now

i think you can still download it from microsoft, you just have to know where to look
    post edited by The Grim - 2016/11/06 18:58:01
    abacab
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/06 19:04:33 (permalink)
    1511 running great here on two PC's.  I deleted the 1511 installer from a flash drive that I needed for another use.  Good thing I take regular image backups, so not likely I'll need another clean install. 

But I looked for an official link for the 1511 download from Microsoft as a suggestion to an earlier comment posted here and ran into a dead-end.  Not gonna risk a torrent or unofficial mirror, no thanks!

The Grim
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Finally Ready for Prime Time (maybe) 2016/11/06 21:44:42 (permalink)
    i just downloaded direct from microsoft to check, and you can still get it, it's the same as the version and build number i am currently running, which i haven't allowed to update for months. so you can still get it. they have made it hard to find to just download it, taken away references etc, but it is still there.

the link (non microsoft) that i originally had put up seems to be legit, md5 sums etc match, but i don't blame anyone who wouldn't want to download from a non official site, but you don't have to.

1511 works like a dream, have it on 3 desktops and 2 laptops, no issues whatsoever, no intention of moving for the foreseeable future
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1