Windows 10 settings for recording Audio

Author
paradoxx@optonline.net
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2016/04/12 17:56:04 (permalink)

Windows 10 settings for recording Audio

Can someone tell me where to go for info on setting up Windows 10 for best performance with SPlat?
I remember finding it for Windows 7 back in the day!

I find it hard to believe that after many searches, I can't find anything . I know it has to be here someplace, but the search engine only comes up with "NO RESULTS".

6 Replies Related Threads

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/12 18:38:39 (permalink)
    This Youtube video tutorial worked great for me, I'm using a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation i7 running Windows 10 64 bit with 16 GB's of ram. 

I was having a problem with pops/clicks/static and other things. This video helped me, although I didn't turn off the Antivirus and a few other things. I think my problem lay mainly in the CORE PARKING. 

Anyway, I thought I would let you know about it in case it might help you. It worked for me. I'm having no more problems. Although you don't need to turn everything off unless your using a PC that your not going to connect to the internet in which case you would probably want to do so, I use my PC on the Internet so I keep the FIrewall and Antivirus on. 

The Core Parking for me using MC7 was for whatever reason causing a conflict and using this video turning it off solved the problem. 

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLzg0GJhoA

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/12 18:41:12 (permalink)
    I have my Power setting to "High Performance".  That is the only thing I've done in Win 10.   Resplendence Latency Mon does not find any problems. 

I disable the NIC (Internet) when using Sonar.

Nothing else.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/12 19:13:55 (permalink)
    fireberd
    I have my Power setting to "High Performance".  That is the only thing I've done in Win 10.   Resplendence Latency Mon does not find any problems. 

I disable the NIC (Internet) when using Sonar.

Nothing else.

I will be curious also as to what you should do for Windows 10, only thing I've found was that Tutorial video, it helped me and all seems to be working fine. 

But I am like you, I have other questions, I have 16 GB's of Ram and have been wondering about the Page File settings, A couple days ago I changed it to No Page file at all and things seem to have speeded up for me and I haven't had any problems. Although I mostly do one thing at a time with my PC and when I record I don't use a lot of Virtual Instruments. Actually the only VSTI's I use are 2, and that is a VSTI's for Strings and another one for Drums. Everything else I use Pod Farm 1 32 Bit to record my vocals/guitars/bass. So I guess I'm not using that much memory. 

Although I have heard using VSTI's or a lot of them will really use a lot of processing power and such things. Most of the time I freeze the tracks if I run into a problem, but so far for the kinda music I have been making Rock'n Roll/Metal/Rock/Blues I haven't ran into anymore problems since making a few changes that tutorial mentioned. 

The other day I recorded 1 guitar on 4 tracks at the same time using Pod Farm 1 "32 Bit" and I have a 64 Bit system, anyway each track had different amp sounds and it didn't skip/pop/crack/sizzle or miss a beat. So I must have it setup right. 

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience THUS FAR with my PC and things in the hopes it might be useful to someone out there. 

There is no one magic fix for all though I guess. Something I had a problem with a few weeks ago was I was using a 15 foot USB Chord powering my Toneport KB37, that was causing a big problem because the KB37 was powered from the USB port from my PC and didn't have it's own power supply, so come to find out there was a voltage drop. I changed it to a shorter chord and that fixed that problem, but there were other problems after that, and that's when I followed a few suggestions from the tutorial video I mentioned earlier, it helped, although I didn't do everything it mentions. 

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about ME ME ME ME ME, that's no my intention, I am just mentioning things you might find of interest to check out and maybe someone who knows will answer and it will help us all ya know. 

Good Luck!!!

post edited by Serious_Noize! - 2016/04/12 19:37:50
    paradoxx@optonline.net
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/12 20:28:58 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I'm not having any problems, I just want to be sure I wasn't forgetting anything. The video was helpful!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/13 15:07:08 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Windows 10 settings for recording Audio 2016/04/13 19:59:00 (permalink)
    I've done less tweaking after XP.  With most of the hardware you don't really need to do it anymore. Sometimes problems would arise when I read "I've done all of the tweaks". So many articles on the web are outdated and people try XP tweaks on W7. My only tweaks on Windows 10 is to try to get it to look like Windows 7.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1