Windows 7 32 bit on an old TM 4000???

Author
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
2010/09/17 16:51:18 (permalink)

Windows 7 32 bit on an old TM 4000???

SO I'm going to be replacing my desktop soon, but do not have the aditional funds to also upgrade the Laptop. Acer TM 4000 1.7Mz 2 Gigs Ram  200 Gig 7200RPM HD.

Question- I have a copy of Windows 7 Home premium  my daughter bought to replace Vista on her Sony. In the end she did not do this yet.

Can I run Windows 7 on the old Acer?? I want to get used to it anyhow.
I'm looking at a OS re install anyhow right now as it's screwing up in a few ways that a fresh install would be easiest route. I have the drive partitioned into a 20 Gig C drive and 160 Gig Data drive were all my stuff is.
This laptop is normally never used on the internet and since I enabled the LAN to activate stupid Cubase that came with the Tascam it's been messed.
But my son say's you have to verify W7 before a month is up or it will die.
I could use my USB G3 i guess.
The realtech drivers for the LAN cause a bacon frying sound a few minutes after boot up.
I had it working perfectly for 6 months an the minute I installed the drivers boom, problem came back so I now know never to do that again. 
post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/17 17:00:56

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

2 Replies Related Threads

sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re:Windows 7 32 bit on an old TM 4000??? 2010/09/17 17:59:13 (permalink)
    johnnyV

SO I'm going to be replacing my desktop soon, but do not have the aditional funds to also upgrade the Laptop. Acer TM 4000 1.7Mz 2 Gigs Ram  200 Gig 7200RPM HD.

Question- I have a copy of Windows 7 Home premium  my daughter bought to replace Vista on her Sony. In the end she did not do this yet.

Can I run Windows 7 on the old Acer?? I want to get used to it anyhow.
    I'm looking at a OS re install anyhow right now as it's screwing up in a few ways that a fresh install would be easiest route. I have the drive partitioned into a 20 Gig C drive and 160 Gig Data drive were all my stuff is.
    This laptop is normally never used on the internet and since I enabled the LAN to activate stupid Cubase that came with the Tascam it's been messed.
    But my son say's you have to verify W7 before a month is up or it will die.
    I could use my USB G3 i guess.
    The realtech drivers for the LAN cause a bacon frying sound a few minutes after boot up.
    I had it working perfectly for 6 months an the minute I installed the drivers boom, problem came back so I now know never to do that again. 

I looked up your computer model at the acer sight
    http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/
    And it seems like there are only XP drivers available for it.
    However you may be able to find win 7 drivers for it if you hunt around for them.  You need to go to the individual manufacturers of each component (like the video card,  sound card,  etc..,)  website.  But they may not have them either.  Its a real hunt and may not even be worth it or necessary.

I see your machine is an older model.  I've done plenty of work on a lot less,  so that may not necessarily be an issue for what you do.

I would say forget Win 7 on that machine.  It uses up more resources and is really no better that xp for your machine.   May even be worse,  resource wise. There isn't much to 'get used' to anyway. 

The problem you may have might be related to tweaks you have done. It's hard to say what without being there and looking at it.  But you may have turned  off services or performed other tweaks that are interfering.

It may not be so bad to start with a fresh OS install.  Just make sure you save everything! 

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Windows 7 32 bit on an old TM 4000??? 2010/09/18 14:51:01 (permalink)
    Thanks a heap sandman, I forgot about the drivers for the laptop, I still use the ones on the supplied CD as they NEVER updated them. Acer cranks out so many different models it's a wonder they can even keep track of them.
    And your right I have shut down probably something that is needed to run the Tascam install. I generally shut down all none MS background and anything that is internet related.
    I think I'll just redo the OS it only takes an hour with my set up.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1