Helpful ReplyWindows 8.1 Preview is here

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/29 15:25:15 (permalink)
gswitz
I'm totally A Linux nerd!

You shouldn't have told me that. Now I'm gonna bug you all the time for info. ;-p

After I posted I actually started looking at what DAWs work on Linux. Kind of grim.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/audio-production-software-linux-ubuntu,2860-6.html

Good to know that if it ever came to that there are options though. There are some discussions over at Cockos forum talking about how Reaper can be used with Wine (whatever that is) but it sounds rather complicated and potentially unstable. I'll be hanging on to Win 7 as long as I can though for audio (Pro is supported through to 2018). My plethora of ancient laptops might become Linux systems and maybe even my main lappy.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/29 15:35:17 (permalink)
gswitz
 In Windows, you can now create an account that is on the Windows Cloud Servers. You can also create a local computer account. Using 8.1, I found it very hard to log in with a local account instead of the accounts on the Windows Cloud Servers.

Since Windows 8 has been optimized to thrust sales opportunities and advertising in your face, and the M$ account is one of the most promising of those optimizations, perhaps the difficulty of using local accounts is a "feature" of 8.1 rather than a bug.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/29 21:57:26 (permalink)
It's doable to use a local account, you just have to be persistent. See my post up this chain.

And Beep, in so far as Linux is concerned, there is an Ubuntu build JUST FOR AUDIO GEEKS!!

http://ubuntustudio.org/tour/audio/

I've only made a couple of recordings with it. My RME works in Class Compliant mode and it enables me to use my work laptop, booted to $100 removable hard disk, to make recordings and practice. That way, when I travel with my family, I don't have to take 2 laptops plus a guitar. My electric, a short cable, RME and work laptop are sufficient to have plenty much DAW fun!

It also means that since work keeps me in a current laptop, I no longer need to buy a laptop for myself. I just plug my removable drive into my work laptop and boot to it. It couldn't be easier!

And at home, I still use Windows for Sonar, but when I'm in the living room, I'm on my work laptop booted to Linux. Small, light laptop with a battery that never quits. I don't charge it until the next day at work.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
soundtweaker
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1036
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 02:50:11 (permalink)
If you have an iPhone get used to using Bing as it's what will be powering Siri.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 05:23:11 (permalink)

I see nothing wrong with this particular version of Bing - in fact, it's really quite excellent.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 05:43:08 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
bapu
John
After installing the preview my system seems to be intact. I'm not sure yet, that this version being a preview, is completely optimized. But so far so good. I notice I can not exit the start screen with the pull down. I may need to do more research. 

Well Done John.

Don't be so sarky Edwidge

Mind you, I'm still trying to work out why this is in the SONAR forum in the first place

Yeah.. I've run the win8.1 preview a few days now and it's not stable enough to be worth using.

Ex.
  • After the computer has gone into sleep mode it won't wake up from the login screen. (A hard restart is all that works)
  • I find the scrolling to be very laggy in "metro" (the computer feels slow in general in comparison with win8)
  • And the most important reason NOT install 8.1 yet: Windows8 drivers do NOT work with Windows8.1. I can't get the VS-700R (that I use on my laptop) to work. I get an error when trying to update the graphics drivers. .. And here's a strange one: When connecting my Nokia Lumia 920 (which is a Windows 8 phone!), windows doesn't find it any more... Nothing at all happens when i connect it, except for the just-connected-a-usb-thing-sound.. -.-
I had no problems with these things before the update.
I read in a previous post here that it's not possible to revert from win8.1 back to win8 (or whatever OS was installed before). That's not true though: http://wind8apps.com/uninstall-windows-8-1/
(MS can be kind of stupid sometimes, but I don't think they're suicidal)

I won't try it again until it's finished. I expected issues, but I really didn't expected driver problems.. I guess this "update" is bigger and more complex than I thought it would be.. .. Or it could be that it's just not finished yet.

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 06:33:30 (permalink)
djjhart@aol.com
I really hope CW is developing sonar for osx . I am done with ms and there bing crap..

That's not going to happen. 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 08:38:30 (permalink)
gswitz
It's doable to use a local account, you just have to be persistent. See my post up this chain.

And Beep, in so far as Linux is concerned, there is an Ubuntu build JUST FOR AUDIO GEEKS!!

http://ubuntustudio.org/tour/audio/

I've only made a couple of recordings with it. My RME works in Class Compliant mode and it enables me to use my work laptop, booted to $100 removable hard disk, to make recordings and practice. That way, when I travel with my family, I don't have to take 2 laptops plus a guitar. My electric, a short cable, RME and work laptop are sufficient to have plenty much DAW fun!

It also means that since work keeps me in a current laptop, I no longer need to buy a laptop for myself. I just plug my removable drive into my work laptop and boot to it. It couldn't be easier!

And at home, I still use Windows for Sonar, but when I'm in the living room, I'm on my work laptop booted to Linux. Small, light laptop with a battery that never quits. I don't charge it until the next day at work.

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm starting to think I may try to find some blank IDE drives for my old system (remove and store the current drives) and start fiddling around with stuff like this. Cheers.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 12:55:13 (permalink)
Loptec

Yeah.. I've run the win8.1 preview a few days now and it's not stable enough to be worth using.

.... I guess this "update" is bigger and more complex than I thought it would be.. .. Or it could be that it's just not finished yet.

This "update" or "Preview" is still in beta.

Also good work Loptec in finding out how to roll back!

I have been using Win8 on this pc (not my music pc) for at least six months now. And with all the negative things being said about it, I really wasn't expecting much. But I have been surprised. I see Win8 as two different UI on the same OS. And you can argue about the way that MS has implemented the way in which the user can switch between the two. But make no doubt, we are moving to an app oriented OS.

And as far as non-music production software is concerned, I am enjoying it. I have purchased quite a few apps that do some things I want and need, each at less than $2 each. And they do it really well, look really good, and are stable! What more can you want from a everyday PC?

And for whatever reason, MS is committed to Bing being Google's equal. And they are not that far off.

And Loptec, how do you like that 920? I have one and really like it.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 13:18:47 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

I see nothing wrong with this particular version of Bing - in fact, it's really quite excellent.

The Re-Mix ->>>> http://www.thecoffeehouseband.com/bing/index.html is even mo bettah (IMHO)
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 14:35:06 (permalink)

Shameless

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 14:53:26 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Shameless

Well Done what did you expect?
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/06/30 15:37:50 (permalink)
I read in a previous post here that it's not possible to revert from win8.1 back to win8 (or whatever OS was installed before). That's not true though: http://wind8apps.com/uninstall-windows-8-1/

Just to be clear, a system restore may or may not return you to your previous version of Windows 8. A system revert (refresh or reset) definitely will not. And neither is possible if you have installed the 8.1 preview over an earlier version of windows or if you install it from the iso file after formatting.
System restore depends on having all of the files and settings present in a restore point in the shadow copy. If multiple restore points have been set, the earlier restore points (and the files and settings they "protect") will be overwritten as space is used up. If you left your shadow copy on a small C:\ drive (SSD?) as is the default, it may not hold very many restore points, and you may have lost the one you need to get back to Win 8.0 by the time you decide to bail on 8.1. Restoring to an earlier version of 8.1 will not help. A disk image of the Win 8.0 system is the safest way to ensure that you have a working copy of your old system. The restore point system is a very complicated operation, and MS does not say that you can use it to get back to Win 8.0 from Win 8.1. I suspect that in many cases it will fail.
Refresh (which is the way MS says you can go back) will take your system back to the place it was when Windows was first installed losing all subsequently installed programs drivers and settings. "Personal" (data) files will not be erased.
Reset will take you back to your old system as it was first installed, losing all of your subsequently installed programs drivers and settings. It is equivalent to using the restore disk or partiton supplied by computer makers. All files will be erased by the format which is part of the operation.
Another question that is not clearly answered is whether it will be possible to move an optimally tweaked Win 8.1 preview system to the Win 8.1 final release version, or whether you will need to re-install and re-optimize a working system when the release is availble this Fall. I believe this was a problem for users of the Win 8.0 preview.

gcorcoran
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/17 17:48:16 (permalink)
Anyone had any luck getting a V-Studio 20 windows 8 driver working with 8.1?
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/17 18:03:06 (permalink)
I want to add that RME DigiCheck does not work on Windows 8.1.

I have not succeeded at launching it. The driver installs and TotalMix seems to work.

I have not installed 8.1 on my personal laptop, only my kid's laptop, so I can't report on how it works with Sonar.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/17 20:08:01 (permalink)
gcorcoran
Anyone had any luck getting a V-Studio 20 windows 8 driver working with 8.1?

absolutely.
works flawlessly
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VS-20

these drivers for the windows 8 32 / 64 will work with 8.1

there you go buddy  :)

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

gcorcoran
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/18 15:26:18 (permalink)
Actually, they don't work for me, thus my inquiry. Did you have to do anything to them to make them work. Or change any file flag, etc? When I run the install it just hangs after plugging in the device. If I look in the install event log I see this:

Device USB\VID_0582&PID_0117\6&6a1879f&0&3 was configured.
Driver Name: null
Class Guid: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Driver Date:
Driver Version:
Driver Provider:
Driver Section:
Driver Rank: 0x0
Matching Device Id:
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
I'm assuming that some registry entry or attempt to modify the registry is being blocked in 8.1 causing the install of the driver to fail. This is after a file by file modification of the required install files to "unblock" them, flagging all .exe files as administrator and windows 8 compatibility. However, the same result occurs before taking these steps too.
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/18 17:15:22 (permalink)
Grem
Loptec

.... I guess this "update" is bigger and more complex than I thought it would be.. .. Or it could be that it's just not finished yet.

This "update" or "Preview" is still in beta.

Also good work Loptec in finding out how to roll back!

I have been using Win8 on this pc (not my music pc) for at least six months now. And with all the negative things being said about it, I really wasn't expecting much. But I have been surprised. I see Win8 as two different UI on the same OS. And you can argue about the way that MS has implemented the way in which the user can switch between the two. But make no doubt, we are moving to an app oriented OS.

And as far as non-music production software is concerned, I am enjoying it. I have purchased quite a few apps that do some things I want and need, each at less than $2 each. And they do it really well, look really good, and are stable! What more can you want from a everyday PC?

And for whatever reason, MS is committed to Bing being Google's equal. And they are not that far off.

And Loptec, how do you like that 920? I have one and really like it.

I agree with everything you say :)
And I really love my Lumia 920! Best phone I've ever had! :)

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview is here 2013/07/18 17:25:30 (permalink)
At present I can not recommend the 8.1 Windows preview for installing on a DAW.  

Best
John
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1