Helpful ReplyWindows Update

Author
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
2016/07/25 19:35:09 (permalink)

Windows Update

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes. I have window 10 now and I get message to start download. My old PC seemed to go crazy when I had it on auto so this one I want the option. Well there is no option to choose. Apparently its set to download whether I want to or not. I see "correct windows update" but I'm not going to just click anything anymore! Does anyone know how to choose the updates? Thanks for any info!
post edited by bayoubill - 2016/07/25 19:57:49

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: Windows Update 2016/07/25 19:41:13 (permalink)
I did go to setting and all that. There is no option anymore to choose. There used to be an automatic setting and choose if you want to download

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Windows Update 2016/07/25 20:14:30 (permalink)
See this:

source : http://blog.cakewalk.com/...s-10-music-production/

WINDOWS 10 AUTO UPDATES

There is a somewhat controversial change to how Windows update works in WIndows 10.
For Windows 10 Home users, there is no way to turn off automatic updates and they will be mandatory.
Windows 10 Pro users will have a little flexibility; they’ll be able to switch from the mainstream release to the “Current Branch for Business (CBB).”
This will give some control over when updates are deployed.
While the CBB will essentially track the consumer release, it will allow feature updates to be held back for some amount of time so you can prepare for the update.
Windows 10 Enterprise is the only OS for which users will be able to actually turn off Windows updates. By opting for the Long Term Servicing (LTS) branch, Enterprise users will be able to defer feature updates for years, electing to receive only security fixes during that time.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Windows Update 2016/07/25 20:16:20 (permalink)
Right click in the lower right hand corner or the task bar on the "Notifications" area
When the menu pops up select "All Settings".

Then select "Update & Security"

Then select "Windws Update"

Then, at the bottom is "Advanced Options"

Select that then select "Defer Feature updates"

rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
How to control Windows 10 automatic updates... 2016/07/26 18:12:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bayoubill 2016/07/26 22:48:12
Here's a good article (actually, the best I found!) that describes the various ways to control automatic updates on Windows 10. What you can or can't do depends largely on the version of Windows 10 you are running:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

I run Windows 10 Pro, and followed the setup tips in the article under the "Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates - Professional Editions Only" section, and it works GREAT!! I get the notification in the task tray when new updates are available, (notifications usually happen within a few minutes of starting a Windows session), but never any other reminders or automatic downloads popping up unexpectedly!  Also, this isn't just deferring updates - any available updates are postponed until you decide to download and install them.

If you have Windows 10 Pro and decide to try this method, I recommend you make a full registry backup prior to making any changes, just to be on the safe side. Also, the article includes links to some automatic registry.REG hack files that will both configure AND de-configure these changes for you with just a couple of mouse clicks. I tried the manual setup method as listed in the article AND the registry hack files, and both work great - but the automatic hack files are MUCH easier to use!! 

FWIW, I've been using this method on both my desktop and laptop for several months, both of which were upgraded from Windows 8.1 using the free Windows 10 automatic upgrade. So far, everything on both computers works fine, and any updates that are available get downloaded and installed on MY schedule, not Microsoft's! 

Randy

post edited by rivers88 - 2016/07/26 19:29:31
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: How to control Windows 10 automatic updates... 2016/07/26 18:33:39 (permalink)
I left mine set to notify to schedule restart.  I've been on Win 10 for almost two years as I'm in the "insider" program and get advance Windows versions (I already have what will probably be the big August update).  I haven't had any problems with updates and running Sonar (I go off line (disable NIC) when I'm recording or mixing).

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
bayoubill
Re: How to control Windows 10 automatic updates... 2016/07/27 00:28:54 (permalink)
I haven't seen the downloads are ready to install since I selected  "Defer Feature updates". Thanks for the info and help!!!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

VanessaJ
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: How to control Windows 10 automatic updates... 2016/07/27 02:33:28 (permalink)
My general, patchwork solution is that I simply do not use my DAW PC for anything I need online, other than music software upgrades and downloads. Otherwise, the computer is disconnected from the internet at all times and the router is turned off. I have a separate laptop I use for anything I need online, such as email. Nothing worse than being in a session and some internet message from your OS or anti-virus software pops up, or just muddles your latency.
Then, when I turn on the router and connect to the internet, I tend to look for any updates to just get them out of the way before I disconnect again.

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart" ~ Confucius

Sonar Platinum;  Windows 10, 16gb RAM;  Mackie Onyx Blackbird FW Interface;  4 Keyboards, 2 Native American flutes, 7 guitars, several pedals, a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, some mics, some B/W posters, a roll-y foot massager, partridge in a pear tree (and lotsa' other cool sh*t  )
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1