Windows problem.....

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2010/08/30 08:50:28 (permalink)

Windows problem.....

I built a new DAW..... assembled the parts, turned it on, started loading the OS.....  some info... i5 chip with 4gb memory running XP.

So I have a brand new licensed version of XP. I installed it, the install went OK.... it asked for the XP-SP2 update... which I installed from a disk download from the MS website.  

So far so good.

Now.... I decided to install MC4 and MC5. The install began and then a window popped up that said:

The windows installer service could not be accessed.......

the install was unsuccessful for either.

I  looked the issue up and found a page on the MS site that gave instructions on how to download the installer component..... I did this and it still gives the same message. On the page it also told how to unregisted it and re-register it... did that.... still no difference.

So, this morning, I installed the SP3 update..... ran the install of MC4... same message....

At this point I don't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to solve this issue would be appreciated. I will also try MS tech and the tech for the dealer.....

BTW: I also tried to install some other programs, just to see if they would install...... nothing that needs that Windows installer would open and install properly.

Thanks

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

16 Replies Related Threads

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 09:17:38 (permalink)
    So after SP3 did you again install the windows installer update?

And I would install ALL windows updates. The only things I do NOT install are the windows live crap, and the search stuff.

And you might have to install the latest DirectX update.

If needed use the installer cleaner tool from MS to remove all the debris.

And if you have installed not much, start new: XP, SP3, IE8, all updates, win installer, directx, hardware updates,...

And then start with the 3rd party stuff.  This is how I do it for my 8 computers, and for client's computers, when fixing and when new. All updates all the time.
    post edited by jm24 - 2010/08/30 12:07:36
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 13:01:44 (permalink)
    I'm trying to keep this machine totally off the net. I do not intend to connect it to the net.... which is another issue.... I was trying to connect to the net to get the updates and service packs and for registering my DAW plugs..... but that won't connect either.

BMI/NSAI

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 14:08:28 (permalink)
    What is MC4 and MC5?
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 14:20:14 (permalink)
    Music Creator 4 and 5.  This new box is a totally off line DAW running XP....

Just talked with MS... they wanted to charge for the tech support.... called the vendor back.... and they have a greed to replace the software.... here goes another wasted week.   So in the meantime... I think I will try to install a different XP from an older computer and see if that works.... I have nothing but time to kill or so it seems......

ok several of those didn't work..... but... I did find a MS "official" SP2 disk in my collection of disks...so it's back through the whole install of OS one last time..... we'll see.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/30 15:02:58

BMI/NSAI

jm24
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 14:43:22 (permalink)
    You do not need a new copy of XP.

You probably need to install the network card driver, which is often not auto installed. And the current vid drivers, and the latest chipset drivers, some of which will come with the windows updates.

Connecting to the net is not dangerous. Visiting bad websites is.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 14:54:47 (permalink)
    The corollary to making automatic updating easy with the Windows Update site, is that manual updating is being made more difficult. I expect this is as Microsoft is wont to say, "by design." In any case, they clearly intend manual updating to be done by system administrators with dozens of licensed copies. If you are doing a fresh installation of the OS on a clean drive, just bite the bullet and do it the way MS wants you to do it, install it from disk and update via a gazillion downloads from Windows Update. The only site you are going to be exposed to is Windows Update, and if that one has been hacked the computing world is up the creek.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 15:07:43 (permalink)
    I hear ya... I'm going through the install one more time since in looking through my stack of disks.... I found a SP2 OFFICIAL ms disk.... lets see if this time is the charmer.

On the drivers...I have the drivers disk for the Mother board...and installed them... the NIC was there...in hardware devices and appeared to be set up correctly..... and the driver installed.... I loaded FF but when I selected the networking wizard to set up the connection.... XP would not open the wiz.

I'll let you know how this attempt goes.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 16:29:40 (permalink)
    Nope...that did not work.... I'm still at the same place.

All drivers are installed.... the NIC is ready to go... but the network setup wizard will not open. The Windows Installer Service is still not accessible..... man this makes me mad..... I was so hoping to have the DAW up and running by now.

First the i5 chip screw up that took 2 weeks to straighten out..... and now the OS is screwed up....

what next? 

turn it off and get a beer..... and forget about it for today.

My laptop still works fine so no problem if I wish to record something..... it's all still hopping over there....

BMI/NSAI

jm24
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 17:35:36 (permalink)
    Maybe FF does not have firewall privilages.

And IE is necessary for windows updates.

Download IE 8 to laptop and then to flash disk and then to comp.
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 17:42:33 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

The install began and then a window popped up that said:

The windows installer service could not be accessed.......

Have you disabled the service?  Check to see if its set to automatic and running.  That's all I can think of.  weird problem.You may just want to start all over again with a frsh windows install if you cant figure it out.  then install all the mobo drivers.  then maybe do the windows update.  Hope you figure it out.
    sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/30 17:46:05 (permalink)
    and yeah,  just do it off the internet into your computer. once your all up and good,  then disable your internet. 
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/08/31 21:20:15 (permalink)
    new OS is on the way.... I will reformat and try again with a new copy of Xp... I hope this one works.... if not..... well...I just hope this one sticks.

BMI/NSAI

IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/09/05 09:06:29 (permalink)
    Hello... one question... do you have internet access after the basic XP install... what I mean is is your IP address info working?... can you do a basic internet search... connect to Yahoo, EBAY... etc... after the basic XP version install?... I always have to manually set my IP info with a XP reload... and not let windows do it for me. My order of install is...

Get XP loaded... Reboot computer...
         Mother board Drivers loaded... Reboot computer...
         Verify all motherboard Hardware drivers are Happy and identified... 
         Now get IP information in and test my internet connection... Reboot computer...
         Then go and look for Hardware updates for XP on the Windows Live Update site... Choose Custom install not Express install...
         Reboot computer...
         THEN load the XP service Pack updates... ALWAYS SELECT CUSTOM INSTALL and you can keep the CRAP updates/software away
         Reboot computer...
         Does your sound card work? all your USB hardware work...etc...????
         Now is a good time to DEFRAG your Hard Drive... ( will take a while )
         Now start installing your personal software and remember to reboot and defrag after each install...
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/09/05 09:30:44
    jm24
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/09/05 12:18:11 (permalink)
    I have all the big files (service pack, directx, ie8,...) downloaded and on a USB stick.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/09/06 12:25:27 (permalink)
    I got it installed finally.... a few days ago. It seems the SP2 update was on Install disk ONE... but it was asking NOT for install disk one but for the Windows SP2 update disk... which does not exist...... a call to about a dozen people...including MS..... and one tech asked...You are putting the install disk ONE back in when it asks for that...aren't you?..... uhhhhh....duhhhhhh... that worked and life is good.

I have almost got the DAW software and plugs all installed and registered..... just a few more to go, but not in a hurry now....

BMI/NSAI

jm24
    Re:Windows problem..... 2010/09/06 12:39:32 (permalink)
    SP3 is a must.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1