Winter Solstice

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/05 16:05:11 (permalink)
This is a lovely piece of music, Malcolm, and the images made it all the more enjoyable for me.  Very impressive composing and orchestrating.
malcolmb
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/06 04:55:14 (permalink)
Hi Phil - Sincere thanks for watching and listening and your exceptionally generous comment. Truly appreciated.

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory
GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
Zuma
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/06 10:04:11 (permalink)
Very beautiful, moving composition. I got intensely homesick watching the slide show. I was born and raised in Vermont but moved to Southern California in my late 30's. Now in my 40's, it's been awhile since I've seen the frozen beauty of Winter. Kinda transported me for a moment... thank you and very well done!

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

stratrat1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/06 10:12:34 (permalink)
Hey Malcomb..Please dont't take this wrong...The video with this beautiful song made me flash to an old Charles Bronson movie... I kept seeing him trudging thru the winter wilderness chasing the giant buffalo.. This a stunning piece... Drum beat definitely has a native American ritual to it..All instruments set well inside this track.. sound scape will definitely take you away !!!
 Absolutely beautiful!!! Great Job my friend !!
post edited by stratrat1 - 2011/01/06 10:14:24

Sonar Platinum
windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 Quad 950
Asus p6t 
24 gigs DDR3 1333
3 250 gig SSD
VS-700C
Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
malcolmb
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/06 14:34:28 (permalink)
Hi Zuma - Sincere thanks. With the weather we have been having in England over the last month or so, I envy your location! But I do agree with you there is something magical about snow and ice in Winter and I fully understand your nostalgia which I share. Although when I was young, the snow never seemed so cold!

Hi Stratrat1 - So pleased you like the piece. I am sure I also saw that movie! And that was exactly the picture I was trying to create with the music and photos (excluding the Buffalo of course!). Druids trudging through the snow up the hill to the Henge for the Solstice. I found the free drum loop somewhere on the web and it was listed as Native American. So you are also absolutely right about that. I have tried to record my Druid friends drumming but when you are in a forest clearing with a howling east wind, all you can hear is my teeth chattering!

Best Regards
Malcolm

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory

stratrat1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 212
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/06 15:07:38 (permalink)
oops
post edited by stratrat1 - 2011/01/06 15:09:08

Sonar Platinum
windows 10 64bit
Intel i7 Quad 950
Asus p6t 
24 gigs DDR3 1333
3 250 gig SSD
VS-700C
Soundcraft COMPACT 24 for pres and converters....
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/09 00:10:19 (permalink)
"malcolmb"
Alegria - This thread was at the bottom of page two of this forum; so additional sincere thanks for finding it.

You din't think I was going to miss this one, especially after your enthusiastic description in your previous thread. Very nice work indeed! 
Truckermusic
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1924
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/09 12:00:26 (permalink)
Hi Malcolmb

I really like this work....for me it started out a little slow or maybe I should say it took to long to get going......

but that would be my only crit.......I could listen to this all day no problem.....very well done ....very well written......nice production and the fact that you put a video to it helped it so much....I would not even know where to start for that...I'm just struggling trying to write music .....

I see that you have GPO , VSL and EW....

What did you use for this......cause I have GPO And cannot make it sound this good......I am trying to fix a guitar and orchestra composition of mine and cannot get there which is frustrating as all get out....

did you write thin in notation first and then transfer to Sonar or did you write it all in the piano roll view?

Good job!
Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
16 Gig of Ram 
4.5 Gighz
Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
Unibrain Firewire Card
Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
Mackie Big Knob
NI Komplete 8
Machine 2
malcolmb
Re:Winter Solstice 2011/01/09 14:34:39 (permalink)
Hi Clifford

Sincere thanks and so pleased you like this piece. In answer to your question, I write all my music by notation in Staff View in Sonar Home Studio 7XL. So everything is done in Sonar from beginning to end. The instruments I used for this piece are:

Winter wind - Dimension LE1 - Hypnotica + Triangle (although not seperately audible, I also added Dyad DXi1 with Layer A - Ghostwhisper and Layer B - Ghostpad to add some depth to the sound).

Erhu and Bass Dizi (Chinese violin and flute) - these are free cut-down versions of the full VSTs from Kong Audio. If you are interested, just Goggle "Mini Erhu" and you will find the links.

Solo Alto Flute, Violins, Violas, Cellos - Garritan Personal Orchestra (Second Edition).

Drums and Wind Chimes - free .wav files I found on the web (after much searching - not sure where I found them!).

How do I get the sound quality? The only sound 'enhancers' I use are Sonitus Reverb and Boost11. With Sonitus, I always use presets (usually 'The Venue' or 'Short and Sweet') and with Boost11 I usually set the input to 1 and output to around 0.5. And that is it. The only other component is my soundcard. After trying a number of M-Audio cards and not being happy with the sound, I eventually went for a Marian Marc 4 Midi card. It does give me a beautifully warm sound and perhaps it is this that is making the difference. At the moment I use Windows XP as my operating system and this is fine for the Marian. But when I eventually move on to Windows 7, I suspect I will need to change the sound card.

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing your guitar and orchestra composition.

Best Regards
Malcolm

PS - for the video I used Windows Movie Maker - came free with XP and very easy to use.
post edited by malcolmb - 2011/01/09 14:40:20

HS 7 XL
XP Prof.
4 GB memory

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1