Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City

Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2009/02/26 11:32:11 (permalink)

From our LOCAL NEWSPAPER

I'm glad to see they've got nothing better to do with my ever-increasing Council Tax

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

27 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 11:44:13 (permalink)
    years ago where I was born / grew up .. it was gonna be renamed "Nirvana" .. some crackpot councillor came up with that dumb idea.. it's far from that , it should be renamed "ghetto" or "hood" and twinned with the bronx..

so it seems to be a national epidemic of stupidity.

if you look from news from my area 99% of the time it's always bad, either robberies or worse. it's a pity in a sense as 90% of the people there is no problem with.
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 11:57:59 (permalink)
    I'm glad to see they've got nothing better to do with my ever-increasing Council Tax

On a positive note, they probably won't be so eager to spend tax payers money on a 'fact finding mission' (aka a free holiday)

VJ
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 11:58:23 (permalink)
    There's a sign on Scottie Road going into Liverpool City Centre Simple saying "Welcome to Liverpool" underneath some wag has written "Twinned with Hiroshima"

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 12:55:09 (permalink)
    Obviously these folks have been either sheltered for most of their lives and aren't dealing with reality, Of unsound mental state and not dealing with reality, simply daft, or all of the aforementioned. But we seem to see this with most politicians these days. By the way Can I still come back to land of me forefathers and run for PM?

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Fog
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:07:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth
    By the way Can I still come back to land of me forefathers and run for PM?

not sure what the pre-requists are for the job. I'm pretty sure you have to be a member of the Church of England (Protestant) so that counts me out.. and I can't go for the US job as I wasn't born there.hehe
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:08:07 (permalink)
    Where I lived in brooklyn in the 80s (Redhook) should have been twinned with Berlin, c. 1945. They actually blew up my building (fortunately after we moved out) for a Miami Vice episode so it would match the rest of the neighborhood. It's probably high rent these days, tho.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:15:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

As if to prove that local councillors are the 'West Bankers'....
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/26 13:16:47

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    AT
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:17:47 (permalink)
    So skip Liverpool on my next trip to England? Any other cities to add to the must miss list or should I just do Scotland?

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarzan54
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:29:07 (permalink)
    .....I know what you mean AT.

I'm originally from Nassau County, which of course, is NOTHING like Brooklyn. But, I have heard from family that still live there that Hempstead (home of the infamous Sam Ash Music) has gotten really bad. You can't even walk the streets at night anymore...and in some parts - not even during the day.

I'm so glad I live out in the "sticks" of Illinois now. Quite, Peaceful, Awesome. Yet only about 45 minutes from Chicago.

THE GUNS OF HELL!!! --> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928547
    ---
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 2002 / SP3
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    ---
    Cakewalk Home Studio 9
    Line 6 POD UX2 Pod Farm

Fog
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 13:37:43 (permalink)
    AT I haven't been to Liverpool or Manc in many years... so even to me it's changed I bet.. depends what your interests are..e.g. if you want to go to "strawberry fields" then you'll have to visit Liverpool.. Manchester might be a place to go if your a big fan of the smiths / new order etc.. although the hacienda club is long gone..

tricky really, even with London.. there are so many fake touristy things about.. which I bet aren't exactly 100% geniune.

you could even take a tour / walk of graveyards here.. I mean a lot of famous people are in some of the London ones.

it depends where your interests lies. I've never been to Scotland though myself. I guess a lot of people use England , well London as a base, as it's sort of a midway point between europe / states etc.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 16:06:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

By the way Can I still come back to land of me forefathers and run for PM?

not sure what the pre-requists are for the job. I'm pretty sure you have to be a member of the Church of England (Protestant) so that counts me out.. and I can't go for the US job as I wasn't born there.hehe

Got the Anglican thing covered. I've asked about the whole prerequisite thing before but no one could tell me. Can't find any resources on line.

Doc
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 16:24:01 (permalink)

Got the Anglican thing covered. I've asked about the whole prerequisite thing before but no one could tell me. Can't find any resources on line.

Just tell 'em you're the new coach of the UK IBS Bobsleigh team and you'll probably get a knighthood too mate!!

Doc_Hollingsworth
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 16:49:36 (permalink)
    I can't claim ancestral rights to title? I can show lineage enough to claim the heraldry as well.

Doc

Fog
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 17:05:57 (permalink)
    Doc, thats more appropriate if you were going for the job as king..hehe
    trust me you'd not want the job of PM at the moment.

well you'd have to turn up in the UK.. become a local MP.. then work your way up the ranks.... although the common theme is a lot of PM's have gone to Eton etc.. jobs for the old boys network

Steve thats funny, bit like Bob Kiley the transport bloke for London who creamed it in for 6+ years.. and he's gone back to the states now.. ah well I believe theres a brit in the states who owes the odd billions of so of others money.
    AT
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 17:28:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

tricky really, even with London.. there are so many fake touristy things about.. which I bet aren't exactly 100% geniune.

you could even take a tour / walk of graveyards here.. I mean a lot of famous people are in some of the London ones.

Fog,

Well, i went to Stradford on Avon on saw Shakespeare's tomb. Don't know if he is still there. But walking back I sat on a little hummock in the park and fancied he might have rested his tosh there, too. Pleasant to think about.

And I've never spent much time in London. The most was one night I got in very late (like midnight) and had a train to the coast to catch at 4 or 5 so I hung out with all the old farts in the train station. I was a hit since I had a carton of marlboros from the tax exempt shop. They were really entertaining, tho I was much younger then.

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 17:30:20 (permalink)

We even made tonight's Midlands Today - http://www.bbc.co.uk/midlandstoday/latest_stories/

Click on the 'Watch now' link under Worcester bids to twin Gaza

Fog
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/26 18:02:36 (permalink)
    Steve , it's a PR stunt + the fact I'm guessing he had a bad holiday in Israel or something.. the idiot should remain totally neutral and is only doing it for votes.

VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 12:08:56 (permalink)
    We even made tonight's Midlands Today

Is Alan Towers still going? Haven't seen Midlands Today in years - I get Look East.

VJ
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 13:00:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

We even made tonight's Midlands Today

Is Alan Towers still going? Haven't seen Midlands Today in years - I get Look East.

Sadly he died last year aged 75 VJ.

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 13:05:47 (permalink)

As far as the twinning is concerned, there's some good news and some bad news...

The good news is that it was a typo...

The bad news is we're getting twinned with Gazza - why-aye man

Fog
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 14:24:53 (permalink)
    Steve you do realise it won't be just him.. his daughter and his "supposed" ex wife will cash in on his surname

as the famous football chant goes ..." who are ya!"

hehe
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 15:18:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

So skip Liverpool on my next trip to England? Any other cities to add to the must miss list or should I just do Scotland?

@

AT No, go to Liverpool, you have to take into account the self deprecating humour which is prevalent in the UK and even more so up North !!! Liverpool is my home town and I will personally vouch for it as a mecca for popular music fans the world over. (I'm not even going to mention The Beatles...) On top of that, Liverpool has the most Grade 2 listed (Historical architecturally significant government protected) buildings in the UK outside London, a magnificent waterfront and some of the friendliest, funniest natives of any city anywhere. The UK is so much more than London and Stratford - Upon - Avon and I would recommend the Scottish lochs, highlands and isles also to get a broader picture (and have a great time) of what these Isles are all about..........

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    AT
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 16:01:42 (permalink)
    No, Kiosk,

after living through NYC in the 80s neigborhoods don't scare me - not even y'alls description. I get it. If we had the kids, maybe, but we took 'em on the scenic tour already. If we bring them again we'll all crash at your place ;-).

Personally, I like down, dirty and real. And the architecture bit sounds nice. I haven't spent enough time in Briton - mostly in Scotland. Love to spend more time in the north of England, warts, humor and all.

@

Garry Stubbs
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 16:49:07 (permalink)
    Hey AT, you sound like my sort of guy, anywhere I travel to in the world I always leave the tourist trail immediately and go where the locals hang out, if its down and dirty, so much the better, especially if the music's live and half decent.

I visited Houston in your part of the world for a week last year for the first time, never been there or Texas before. I had only been there one day and one of the women I met who worked for a company I was dealing with invited me to friday night out at her local bar with her husband and grown up family. When I arrived there in my cab, it was a huge bar on the end of an industrial estate, the sort of place I never would have stumbled upon on my own. They had two live bands on, the house PA system and lighting setup, as I always find in the USA, were far better than most of the bars we have in the UK. I ended up having one of the best nights I have had for years, got up to play a couple of numbers with one of the bands, and made some new friends I am still in contact with. Travel is great but yes, you have to go with the right attitude. Sure you can stay at my place, but it's about 200 miles away from Liverpool !!! I'm a 1980's economic migrant..........

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 17:16:43 (permalink)
    I'm a 1980's economic migrant..........

Did you borrow Norman Tebbit's bike?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 17:34:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

I'm a 1980's economic migrant..........

Did you borrow Norman Tebbit's bike?

I sure did Jonbouy, I was thinking of Tebbit's (in)famous quote as I was writing that post............ Much as I hate to admit it, he was right, but then in 1987 I was in a position to be lucky enough to have age, health and choice on my side. It was also a typically heartless way to express a basic socio-economic mechanism, and totally ignored those didn't have as much flexibility, old, sick relatives to take care of etc (Phew that was serious for me !!!)

EDIT; Actually after posting this, I look up The Chingford Skinhead's original statement on Wikiquote, and it's less incendiary than history has deemed it, but the troubles the UK was having at the time made it seem heartless in the context of the times.
    His actual statement was "I grew up in the 30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot; he got on his bike and looked for work and he kept looking 'til he found it."
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/27 17:49:19

AT
    RE: Worcester (UK) to be twinned with Gaza City 2009/02/27 19:30:34 (permalink)
    Castlethorpe

Oh, didn't realize - I should have looked at your personal info.

Just kidding about coming with the kids. Been there, done that. They can go on there own. But if I ever make Castlethorpe I'll buy you a pint - or two.

@

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1