Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..."

Author
LoopJunkie
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2466
2005/06/11 18:51:14 (permalink)

Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..."

I often use exotic VST synth plugins - resulting in all kinds of problems, of course

On occasion a rogue VST makes Sonar crash with the obnoxious "Can't read/Write/access memory address .....". This happens on bounce as well as freeze. Sometimes even two or three of these messages come up.

The pits: After reload of Sonar and opening the project in safe mode without the rogue VST - same message & crash. Puzzling!

I fiddled around for some time and found that

- the latency slider is aaaalllll the way to the right after the first crash when trying to bounce - this brings Sonar to its knees whenever this project is loaded, no matter if in safe mode or not.

- bringing the slider back to a decently low setting before loading the project (in any mode) will eliminate the problem. No more crashes on load.

But: how can I get that VST's MIDI to audio if I can't bounce or freeze the synth??

Solution: The old-fashioned way still works. I insert a new audio track and arm it. I run the audio out of the rogue VST through my mixer to a different audio in assigned to the new audio track, solo the VST and record the VST to the new track. No crash.

I hope this points some people who struggle with the same or similar problems to the right direction.

loop

7 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/11 19:19:53 (permalink)
    Loop,

I would give tech support a call on this. The fact that your latency slider gets changed suggests there some real conflict there. I've never had that happen. This might be something to do with a hardware or MEMORY problem.

OR, of course, a rogue VST as you point out - which is clobbering something.

ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie

I often use exotic VST synth plugins - resulting in all kinds of problems, of course

On occasion a rogue VST makes Sonar crash with the obnoxious "Can't read/Write/access memory address .....". This happens on bounce as well as freeze. Sometimes even two or three of these messages come up.

The pits: After reload of Sonar and opening the project in safe mode without the rogue VST - same message & crash. Puzzling!

I fiddled around for some time and found that

- the latency slider is aaaalllll the way to the right after the first crash when trying to bounce - this brings Sonar to its knees whenever this project is loaded, no matter if in safe mode or not.

- bringing the slider back to a decently low setting before loading the project (in any mode) will eliminate the problem. No more crashes on load.

But: how can I get that VST's MIDI to audio if I can't bounce or freeze the synth??

Solution: The old-fashioned way still works. I insert a new audio track and arm it. I run the audio out of the rogue VST through my mixer to a different audio in assigned to the new audio track, solo the VST and record the VST to the new track. No crash.

I hope this points some people who struggle with the same or similar problems to the right direction.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    LoopJunkie
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 09:10:11 (permalink)
    This might be something to do with a hardware or MEMORY problem.

Definitely not, ran all types of tests to eliminate that. Must be the way the VST interacts with Sonar - real strange it changes Sonar's settings. Or rather Sonar just can't cope with whatever weird parameters are passed because I suspect Sonar changes its own settings.
    I'll email the techs - they'll probably advise me to reinstall Sonar, seems to be their first standard response to every inquiry I ever sent them

loop

xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 12:41:57 (permalink)
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

This is a very easy to use util to test RAM.

The other day everything went to hell, error messages, spontaneous shotdowns, and Sonar crashes all over the place. At first I thought it was a virus, or a corrupt plugin. But then other programs, like Firefox went to hell.

Ran this util and it said I had a memory problem.
    Reseating the memory Appears to have resolved the problem. I am hopeful this is the case, as it started after pulling out the pc to install a wireless mouse.
    I will be running the util again when the PC has hadd a work out. My room is not air conditioned, the 80+ degrees may also be a factor on the failure.

Don

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 13:52:25 (permalink)
    Try another wrapper with this plug and see what happens. There's a freebee that allows use of one plug at a time, sorry don't know the name.

Or maybe the Directixer demo will suffice...?

JD
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 13:54:18 (permalink)
    I just ran the diagnostic program again.

The problem appears to be with the last RAM module, which would not be used until I use a RAM intensive software, like a sampler.

Also letting the machine cool made the memory test Error Free, so this heat and humidity in the North East is a factor.

I will be adding this Memory Testing Utility to the Top of the list of debugging tools our helpdesk uses for testing those PCs from hell.

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    jyoung
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 483
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 14:28:19 (permalink)
    Must be the way the VST interacts with Sonar

VST are Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) that Sonar loads into its memory space and then calls the interfaces of the VST. Any bug in the VST that causes a memory over-write, buffer-overflow or accessing an invalid memory location would have a direct effect on Sonar.
    LoopJunkie
    RE: Workaround for "Can't read memory at address ..." 2005/06/12 19:41:12 (permalink)
    Any bug in the VST that causes a memory over-write, buffer-overflow or accessing an invalid memory location would have a direct effect on Sonar.

That's in line with my experience.

loop

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1