Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
2009/09/30 01:46:21 (permalink)

Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers?

Hey guys!

Maybe this has been asked a million times, but I wanted to open this thread partly as a way to get out of the Sonar Forum's noise and also take the opportunity to ask a question.  I basically want to know how you guys go about working with big sample libraries like EWQLSO in Sonar.

So far, my basic workflow is to Insert the synth (with the normal Audio and MIDI tracks) and then add as many MIDI tracks as the synth can handle (in this case 8).  Each MIDI track is set to a separate MIDI channel of said synth which enables me to use it's Multi-timbral qualities.  Now the only problem I have is when it's time to mix since there's only one Audio track for a bunch of instruments.  This makes it hard to work with volume envelopes and/or adding FX to individual instruments.  So I was thinking of maybe bouncing each MIDI track to audio, but that's very time consuming since you can't do it all at once (or else you bounce every instrument to one stereo track).

The other alternative was using the All Stereo Outputs option, but then you only get one MIDI track which makes editing MIDI a nightmare if you have instruments overlapping or playing unison.  So how do you guys that work with EWQLSO or other Orchestral Libraries do it.  What's the best workflow for this type of compositions?

Thanks for your help!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD

38 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 02:14:19 (permalink)
    I use the platinum EWQLSO.   My normal practice is to rough out the project first with TTS1 or Coyote Forte Dxi from the creative standpoint because it is quick and easy to get the project idea and then get down to detail one track at a time in EW.  I will rarely use more than 1 at a time though I do use something like the 11 violins master and duplicate the track with a different channel and run a solo violin just add a bit of definition and mix down as single output with different key switches especially when dealing with the mart and marc and maybe add some more leg to it with the solo violin but cut back on the number of voices to just fill it out a bit and reduce some abruptness.  At least now with the 8.5 upgrade I don't have to reload all the samples as previously had to be redone.  I find as replace each TTS1 track I have less re-editing to to as I get each track done with horns or cellos and maybe can complete with a few envelopes and a touchup and redo on the violins at the end.  I am looking forward to improvements in both engines so at some point the fast bounce will work for it but unfortunately it still ain't there.
    Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 02:54:43 (permalink)
    Hi Lorneyb2,

I have no problems using EWQLSO for sketching (my system has enough resources).  So that's not what I'm having issues with.  My issue is during the mixing part of the process.  I wanna be able to use volume envelopes (not velocity/MIDI volume enevelopes), as well as have the freedom to use FX on individual tracks as needed.  So far I haven't found an easy way to bounce individual tracks simultaneously, or a way to just have the amount of control I want without bouncing. 

What I want is to hear how you guys go from composing the piece to the finish product in the most seemless way.  Actualy the ideal would be to use multiple Audio and MIDI tracks per instance.  That would give me control over writting each individual MIDI tracks on it's own as well as the ability to insert FX and/or audio automation at will, but I don't think that's possible..  The ONLY way I can think of is by having one instance of EWQLSO per instrument group (i.e. 1 for Violins, 1 for Violas, 1 for Cellos, etc).  That would give me several MIDI tracks for each articulation and one Audio track for envelopes and FX.  Is this how you guys do it?  Or is there a more elegant way of doing the same without sacrificing control.

By the way, thanks for the tips on combining solo with grouped instruments.  That's good stuff :-)

Take care!
    post edited by Jose7822 - 2009/09/30 07:06:27

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 05:04:52 (permalink)
    Sorry Jose I do not know the instrument you are talking talking about but I assume it is a soft synth/sampler. 

You could of course try muting all but one channel bounce the non muted track creating an audio track.

If it is a soft synth copy that to an audio track repeat for other tracks that would give you x number of audios to mix and generally play with.

OK it is a pain but bouncing does not take that long.

Of course I could be totally off track. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 05:30:55 (permalink)
    Hey Wookiee,

You have described exactly what I want to avoid.  I'm currently experimenting with just using an instance of EWQLSO per instrument (as explained in my previous post).  The down side of it is that it'll probably raise CPU consumption, so I'm gonna have to resort to freezing.  But at least it gives me what I want (control over automation and FX).  Guess I answered my own question.  However, I'm still interested in hearing how you guys work with these big sample libraries.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 07:12:37 (permalink)
    Hi Jose.

Your workflow exactly mirrors mine when working with the EWQLSO.

I can run about 10/12 instances of EW, each loaded up with 3/4/5 articulations until my system begins to creak.

That leaves me with about 12 tracks to mix - if any given articualtion is way out compared to the others, in terms of relative volume, I'll address it at the MIDI velocity level.

I'm thinking of ways in which I can increase the number of EWQL instances I can run without going down the 64-bit route.

The only method that really springs to mind is to bounce what I considered "finished" to audio, and free up resources that way.

I have a question or 2 of my own - do you guys keep everything in Stereo or set each track's interleave to mono? (Or bounce each track to mono when bouncing becomes necessary)?

Also, do you go down the same route of carving out a space for each instrument with EQ, as you would in a rock or pop production?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 07:43:54 (permalink)
    Bristol,

Rather than Bouncing to Track, use the Freeze function.  This way you'll be able to revisit the original tracks at any time.  Freezing will let you squeeze more resources out of your system without sacrificing flexibility.

Regarding your two questions:

I personally keep everything in Stereo since all instruments were recorded in their natural placement (although some articulations seem to need small panning adjustments).  Then you can use Busses to group similar instrument families for treatment.  This type of music doesn't need much processing like other more popular types, so treating it as stems with a little EQ'ing is enough.  You'll find youself spending more time making them sound real and adjusting levels, than processing them.

[Wow, I just described a nice workflow idea right there :-P]

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 07:53:45 (permalink)
    I think a lot of the time when we ask these questions - we already know the answer & just want a second opinion.

Thanks for your input mate - especially regarding freezing/bouncing.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 08:11:22 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I think a lot of the time when we ask these questions - we already know the answer & just want a second opinion.

Thanks for your input mate - especially regarding freezing/bouncing.

Yeah, I know.  Ain't that funny when it happens? :-P

Still, I'd like to hear how others do it in Sonar.  The more ideas, the better I can improve my current workflow.

Oh yeah, no problem man :-)

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 08:13:14 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Hey Wookiee,

You have described exactly what I want to avoid.  I'm currently experimenting with just using an instance of EWQLSO per instrument (as explained in my previous post).  The down side of it is that it'll probably raise CPU consumption, so I'm gonna have to resort to freezing.  But at least it gives me what I want (control over automation and FX).  Guess I answered my own question.  However, I'm still interested in hearing how you guys work with these big sample libraries.

Take care!

I generally use one EWQLSO Gold Pro XP instance per instrument per MIDI track. If I need different articulations of an instrument I'll have them in one instance. I can, depending on the instruments in use, have 6 to 7 instances of EWQLSO running at once before the system begins to protest. But that's more related to lack of ram - I only have 1 gig because that's all my laptop can handle - than processing power with the simple system I have - an ancient 2.53 GHz P4 Toshiba Satellite laptop running WinXP Home SP3 tweaked to the max.

Further to my workflow: when I get an instrument to where I like it I then freeze it with any effects or eq added afterward. Then it becomes like working with a real instrument - if I don't like the way it works in the mix I go back and unfreeze it (like re-recording a real tuba, sax, whatever) and change things and proceed.

My only real limits working this way, with the ancient system I have, is bringing in frozen tracks or other audio from my external hard drive (Glyph daisy-chained off the lone FW port with my Powercore dsp box). The most complex I've been able to get is 16 audio tracks and that's only because that's the largest project I've done - and that includes non-sample lib (i.e. real instruments) work as well. I do have a version of Tubular Bells I'm working on that will end up with 32+ tracks.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 08:31:39 (permalink)
    Good question. IIRC TTS works the same way..... One audio track where the synth lives and then an assortment of midi source tracks where the data for each channel exists.

I have pretty much stopped using TTS  as my synth of choice..... but if my memory doesn't fail me..... I was able to place the enveolpes (volume & panning) in the midi source track and that would be reflected in the synth's output. But you are still limited to just haveing ONE audio track. If you wish to apply compression or EQ.... you have a problem, since that doesn't work on data. (in the midi channels....only in the audio channel FX bin..thereby affecting all the synth channels)

You can bounce to audio like you said..... but that is quite a bit of work, especially if at a future point you need to change a few notes.... edit midi..bounce to audio..... just a pain.

OR: you can insert a seperate instance of the synth for each track you need. Your limitations on this are how many synths (VST's) your platform can run at one time (a real number determined by Cake) AND the ability of your computer to process all those synths in real time and keep it all synced and running.

OR: you can do as I do.... record the midi track get it right (or as close to right as you think it needs to be)... bounce to a track (audio) and freeze/archive the synth/or delete it and hide the synth tracks...and then work with the audio.

I stopped using TTS because I found better sounding synths. And as it turns out, they are one track synths. Problem solved. I use Koreplayer, Jamstix, and cakes Sound Center now. And I have also started the practice of working almost exclusively in the audio realm. I bounce all tracks to audio...it's easier on the processor and leaves my CPU's available for my mastering & sweetening software plugs.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/09/30 08:33:09

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 08:57:24 (permalink)
    I don't have EWQLS, but I have several softsynths with big libraries, like GS3, Wusikstation, Sampletank.  What I tend to do is bounce everything to it's own separate audio track and work in the audio domain only.  I prefer to have everything static on an audio recording instead of using softsynths.

I have seen some instances (I think maybe only with GS3) where the waveform did not look exactly the same each time I ran the project.  To me, that's asking for a lot of trouble during mixing.  what is changing?  I don't know, and I don't want it to change, so once I've got the MIDI edited the way I want it, everything goes to audio and the softsynths get archived.

the only exception to this is Superior Drummer 2.0.  I can route all of the outputs to separate outputs (I can in GS3, too, but I have to rewire GS3 into sonar and there's the problem of the dynamic output that I don't like).  I've tried bouncing each track in SD2.0 down to audio but it's a pain, especially since most of the FX of SD2.0 I use are in the program itself and not external to SD2.0.  however, if I want to slap a compressor on one of the outputs, it's easy since there are 8 (IIRC) outputs.

so another vote for bouncing to audio (with exceptions!).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 09:10:01 (permalink)
    BTW - I always use TTS-1 for editing the MIDI - saves CPU.  I don't add the real softsynths in until I start actually mixing - which of course is what the OP actually asked, but thought I'd throw that in.

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 09:43:48 (permalink)
    Good ideas!

I just need to figure out how to create keyswitches in Kompakt and I'll be set. 

By the way, Bitbridge 2.0 is a godsend.  Now I'm finally able to use all my RAM, which is the reason why I want to change my workflow to a more flexible one.  I'm sure I'll still need to bounce/freeze/archive.  But at least it won't be as much as before.  Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 10:16:06 (permalink)
    My main problem with freezing/bouncing - whatever, with regard to any sort of orchestral production is that, from a compositional viewpoint, I never know if it's finished!!!

I started work on a piece last Christmas, and it's now developed into a four-part work lasting about 16 minutes.

I guess I should pull the plug on the writing side, call it a day and mix the damned thing!!!!

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 10:44:40 (permalink)
    Don't worry, it happens to all of us :-S

:-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

kcearl
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 11:23:23 (permalink)
    I'm switching to reaper!

lol

Sonar 8 Studio, Ableton Live 8, XP Media SP2, Intel Dual Core 2.80Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 & 250Gb SATA

http://www.soundclick.com/trainsetghetto

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 11:40:11 (permalink)
    Aww, come on!

I know you meant it as a joke, but please leave that in the Sonar Forum.  Let's not mess this one up :-)

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Sepheritoh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 13:15:33 (permalink)
    jackn2mpu

Jose7822

Hey Wookiee,

Take care!

I generally use one EWQLSO Gold Pro XP instance per instrument per MIDI track. If I need different articulations of an instrument I'll have them in one instance. I can, depending on the instruments in use, have 6 to 7 instances of EWQLSO running at once before the system begins to protest. But that's more related to lack of ram - I only have 1 gig because that's all my laptop can handle - than processing power with the simple system I have - an ancient 2.53 GHz P4 Toshiba Satellite laptop running WinXP Home SP3 tweaked to the max.

Further to my workflow: when I get an instrument to where I like it I then freeze it with any effects or eq added afterward. Then it becomes like working with a real instrument - if I don't like the way it works in the mix I go back and unfreeze it (like re-recording a real tuba, sax, whatever) and change things and proceed.

My only real limits working this way, with the ancient system I have, is bringing in frozen tracks or other audio from my external hard drive (Glyph daisy-chained off the lone FW port with my Powercore dsp box). The most complex I've been able to get is 16 audio tracks and that's only because that's the largest project I've done - and that includes non-sample lib (i.e. real instruments) work as well. I do have a version of Tubular Bells I'm working on that will end up with 32+ tracks.

My workflow is the closest to jackn2mpu's.

Usually I have to deliver the final audio in stems of each instrument in a seperate track, and this method makes it very easy to export the stems at the end.
    kcearl
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 13:33:12 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Aww, come on!

I know you meant it as a joke, but please leave that in the Sonar Forum.  Let's not mess this one up :-)

Take care!

wilco

I couldn't resist

Sonar 8 Studio, Ableton Live 8, XP Media SP2, Intel Dual Core 2.80Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 & 250Gb SATA

http://www.soundclick.com/trainsetghetto

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 16:51:36 (permalink)
    One of the unique problems with the EWQLSO is that you can't do a freeze with the fast bounce option without totally garbling the results.  If you have a 10 min song it takes 10 min to freeze each track.  Short songs aren't the problem, it's the long ones where you need to try to get creative in reducing the number of freezes you do.  Hopefully at some point Sonar and EW  can get together to move it into fast freeze realms and then we'll have huge smiles.
    Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/09/30 20:31:56 (permalink)
    kcearl 

wilco

I couldn't resist

I know :-)

I just don't want this forum to get noisy too.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 03:45:59 (permalink)
    Hey Bristol,

Is it possible to use one MIDI channel for all articulations?  I'm trying to figure out how to do this in Sonar since I don't like how the Kompakt player has separate keyswicthes for long and short notes.  I don't wanna work with multiple MIDI channels any more, so please tell me there's a way to change articulations from the same MIDI Track :-)

Thanks!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 04:32:45 (permalink)
    Nevermind, I got it.  :-)

I dunno why I even opened this thread if I keep answering my own questions :-P

Actually, it has helped me get this far.  This new workflow gets better evey day though (why didn't I do this before?!).

Take care guys!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 05:02:33 (permalink)
    OK,

I have another question.  So far, the best way I've found to deal with all this articulation mess is to simply use an Instrument Track for each Instrument in the Orchestra (Violins, Violas, Cellos, Bass, etc).  I load up Kompakt with all the articulations I need for each instrument (each in their own MIDI channel), and go to the PRV/Event View to change the MIDI channels of the notes based on the articulation needed.  That reduces the amount of tracks in the project considerably, great!

Now the problem is, how do I play a certain articulation of an instrument?  For example, if I want to play a staccato Violins part using my MIDI controller, but channel 1 is set to sustained Violins, how do I go about changing the channel my MIDI controller is triggering?  My guess is that I'll have configure it in my MIDI controller, right?  Or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advanced!

post edited by Jose7822 - 2009/10/01 05:06:26

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 06:53:30 (permalink)
    Yeah - change it in your controller - with my rig, whatever synth has the "focus" responds to keys played on ym keyboard. But initially, it defaults to whatever artic. is on channel 1.

So I'm guessing you just chnage your transmit MIDI channel no. on your controller & voila.

I tend to write primarily by entering notes in the prv, and add controller data later for pedal events, velocity, wheel data, that sort of thing.

What confuses me is, as you say, you'll have an instance set up for violins, one for violas, one for cellos etc - but each of these has it's first artic. set to channel 1. How the hell does SONAR keep track of all the different "Channel 1" data????

jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 07:39:29 (permalink)
    You can change the MIDI channel on your controller, but there's no way I know of to do that dynamically, that is when you're playing. So it's of no use playing live or trying to do it as you're recording. Has to be done after the fact.

The operable question for Jose becomes then: why are you doing things the hard way? Why not multiple MIDI tracks? Why not using keyswitches in Kompakt? I use them but then again I never use the Kompakt player that comes with EWQLSO but Kontakt 2. I've already mentioned earlier in this thread about loading up Kontakt with all the articulations I use. I do that when I have overlapping tracks of say, violins, where one might play a sustained note and another might be playing a staccato or pizzicato string of notes over the top of that.

However, if the violin tracks never play different articulations at the same time in a piece then I use keyswitches. If you play the instrument it it's preferred register (easy to see by way of the colored keys on the gui for Kompakt or Kontakt) you'll see there's a bunch of different colored keys for the keyswitches. To change articulation that way I just embed in the MIDI track for that channel a short note on message corresponding to the articulation I want to play.

Still it comes down to I prefer to use separate MIDI tracks for each articulation because of ease of volume level changes and other things. Unfortunately Jose what you want - a way to truly play a sample set like a real instrument with being able to change articulations on the fly like a real violinist or guitarist or whatever musician can - is not here yet, although some sample lib providers get close. Or even playing two articulations at the same time on the same instrument. Think guitar where the player uses the thumb to play a bassline while the other fingers strum the rest of the strings - we ain't there yet.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Beagle
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 09:07:13 (permalink)
    I agree with jack that there's no way to dynamically change the articulation on the fly.  what I do in cases like this is cut and paste the MIDI data into another track and send that track to the other atriculation.  it's a pain, but there's no other way I know of to do it (save "playing" it that way like jack suggests).

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 11:24:17 (permalink)
    Hey Jose, our above exchange:

I guess I should pull the plug on the writing side, call it a day and mix the damned thing!!!!

Don't worry, it happens to all of us

Reminds me of a conversation I had with Marah about 18 months ago, when I was still a relative noob.
    She was getting disheartened about having so many projects in a state of limbo, and was losing objectivity about getting them finished. I proudly announced that I'd never start a new project before finishing my current effort.

Fast forward to now, and I've got well over a dozen "in-progress" projects - a couple just need mixing, some need vocals, some need fleshing out in terms of arrangement, some need their MIDI parts replaced with guitars, some are just sketches......

Funny how things change.

Jose7822
    Re:Workflow Using Multi-timbral Orchestral Samplers? 2009/10/01 11:26:41 (permalink)
    Aww,

I was getting so close to perfection.  Thing is that the Kompakt player doesn't allow you to create your own keyswitches, and the ones that are already programed in it have separate keyswitches for long and short articulations.  Otherwise, I'd be using keyswitches, but alas.  

But it would be fine if I'm able to change channels even if it's not dynamically.  I just don't wanna go back to working with multiple MIDI tracks anymore.  It's just counter-intuitive for me, and I'm loving the way the new workflow is going so far.  Anyways, I'll try to figure out how to change MIDI channels from my controller, even if not done dynamically.

EDIT:  Just found out that my MIDI controller has a live MIDI channel edit function (nice!!).  I can change the MIDI channels on the fly, but it's only practical between two adjacent channels (maybe 3).  However, I did encounter problems with stuck notes (there's always something, isn't there?).  Now I have to figure out where the problem lies..sigh.  Well, thanks for all your help guys.  I think I'm gonna stick to this workflow as I find it much easier to work with all these articulations this way.  Peace!

UPDATE:  I'm in heaven!  As long as I don't press/hold any keys while switching channels everything works fine.  This is so awesome!!!

post edited by Jose7822 - 2009/10/01 12:23:11

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2