Helpful ReplyWorking in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes

Author
vaultwit
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2011/12/28 18:12:57 (permalink)

Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes

I frequently need to switch back and forth between Sonar and other programs (let's just say iTunes) for various referencing reasons, such as comparing different sounds with other songs and making sure my volume levels are ok.

I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track mkii interface, and it seems like ASIO and WDM cannot be shared between Sonar and iTunes, so I get problems when I am working in Sonar and need to use iTunes to play some songs while doing so. Basically, I need to unselect the driver from Sonar so that it can be used by iTunes, then reselect it afterwards so Sonar can use it again. This is not practical for me, since I switch back and forth very often. I could just use seperate drivers (one for Sonar and one for iTunes), however I have all my speakers/headphones/monitors connected to my audio interface, so I would like all music being played (from iTunes or Sonar) to go through the interface so I can hear everything through my speakers/headphones/monitors.

I've tried all the drivers, and it seems like MME is the only one where I can freely switch between Sonar and other programs (let's just say iTunes). This makes sense, since both Sonar and iTunes would then be sharing the onboard souncard. However, of course I would not be taking advantage of my interface's sound card, and MME is never the preferred driver for latency and other reasons.

Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64-bit
Computer: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Windows 8 
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
DJMashbot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 18:28:21 (permalink)
So you are saying you are selecting the driver for the specific program (iTunes), but not for your system sounds? If that's the case, maybe setting your default sound driver in System settings would fix it? If you're using Windows, just set your Fast Track ASIO as your default sound driver from the control panel. I have a Fast Track Pro and I have it set as my default sound driver (when it's plugged in), and have had no problems going back and forth between Sonar and iTunes without changing any settings.
vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 19:50:28 (permalink)
DJMashbot

So you are saying you are selecting the driver for the specific program (iTunes), but not for your system sounds? If that's the case, maybe setting your default sound driver in System settings would fix it? If you're using Windows, just set your Fast Track ASIO as your default sound driver from the control panel. I have a Fast Track Pro and I have it set as my default sound driver (when it's plugged in), and have had no problems going back and forth between Sonar and iTunes without changing any settings.

Yes I have Windows 7. And I did set the Fast Track as the default driver from Control Panel > Sounds, and yes I can switch back and forth as you mentioned. However, when I share the Fast Track driver between Sonar and other programs by setting it as the systems default, I get strange things within Sonar that cause me to have to disable the Fast Track as the system's default. Check out this thread I made earlier about that very problem:  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2459922

Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 20:19:19 (permalink)
you should be able to use both soundcards at the same time. On this lappy, I was able to run the Saffire with ASIO on the DAW while at the same time playing my mp3's with the factory card..... literally at the same time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 20:40:09 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

you should be able to use both soundcards at the same time. On this lappy, I was able to run the Saffire with ASIO on the DAW while at the same time playing my mp3's with the factory card..... literally at the same time.

See that's what I thought too... I think I should be able to do that, just like you are. But this is what happens when I try:  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2459922

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 20:56:55 (permalink)
you can use both.. go into windows control panel/sound.. switch ya default card to the realtek or whatever..

it's probably set to the fast trak.

I'd use VLC player etc.. personally I find itunes etc bloated
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/
vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 21:23:29 (permalink)
Fog

you can use both.. go into windows control panel/sound.. switch ya default card to the realtek or whatever..

it's probably set to the fast trak.

I'd use VLC player etc.. personally I find itunes etc bloated
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

But my speakers and headphones are all connected to my Fast Track interface's line out and headphone jack. Nothing is connected to my laptop's headphone jack. So if I set my iTunes to use my onboard sound card, yes the driver conflict will be solved, but there will be no way for me to hear what's playing through the onboard sound card (unless I unplug my speakers from my interface and plug it into my laptop each time, which of course is not very practical).

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 21:47:10 (permalink)
If your audio interface has a wdm driver and an ASIO driver, you may be able to do what you want.

In Windows, select your FastTrack as the default Playback device. In SONAR, set SONAR to "share drivers with other programs," in Preferences, and in SONAR use ASIO driver Mode, in Preferences.

Now, Windows should be using the FastTrack WDM driver to play the media players audio, and SONAR should be using the FastTrack ASIO driver to play whatever you're playing in SONAR.

Does that work?

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Fog
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 22:18:43 (permalink)
tbh vault, switching back / forth doesn't mean you'll get an exact match volume wise.. remember each app has a sep. volume control also..

you could feed the line into the fast trak.. 

but I'm confused why your actually worried about volume.. you should only be worried about that when it comes down to mastering .. as what your reference it against is a fully mastered 2 channel song , so your not comparing like for like.

I just use my laptops speakers for doing the editing of audio.. as it doesn't have to be perfect..

or why not drop the reference track into sonar ?

vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 22:31:47 (permalink)
thomasabarnes

If your audio interface has a wdm driver and an ASIO driver, you may be able to do what you want.

In Windows, select your FastTrack as the default Playback device. In SONAR, set SONAR to "share drivers with other programs," in Preferences, and in SONAR use ASIO driver Mode, in Preferences.

Now, Windows should be using the FastTrack WDM driver to play the media players audio, and SONAR should be using the FastTrack ASIO driver to play whatever you're playing in SONAR.

Does that work?

That's the set-up I tried to do originally: set the fast track is the default sound card for my system, and play everything through it. I would use the ASIO drivers in Sonar, and set the "share drivers with other programs" option, but then I would run into the problem I described in this other thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2459922 If there is a way to have the set-up you described, without getting the errors I mentioned in that thread, I would love that too.

Fog

tbh vault, switching back / forth doesn't mean you'll get an exact match volume wise.. remember each app has a sep. volume control also.. 

you could feed the line into the fast trak..  

but I'm confused why your actually worried about volume.. you should only be worried about that when it comes down to mastering .. as what your reference it against is a fully mastered 2 channel song , so your not comparing like for like. 

I just use my laptops speakers for doing the editing of audio.. as it doesn't have to be perfect.. 

or why not drop the reference track into sonar ? 

You're right, checking volume isn't the primary reason I need to do this. It is mostly to compare different sounds. For example, I may have heard a synth from a song that I want mine to sound similar to, or want to make the kick as boomy as some of these other songs have. Or I may want to compare my vocal effects to the vocals of some other songs in the same genre to see if the EQ's are similar. Sometimes I just listen to different songs randomly while working on a project to get some ideas and get creative juices flowing. Or sometimes, heck, I like to take a break from working on a project and just listen to songs for leisure, or take a break and watch a quick YouTube video. The list goes on. The point is, I want to be able to play audio from other breaks and not just Sonar - for various reasons. Dropping the reference track into Sonar is certainly an option, but I constantly listen to a lot of different songs randomly that this would be unpractical. Sometimes I literally just browse my iTunes and say "hmm, I wonder how the snare in this sounds? let me take a listen..." and I may listen to a few seconds of that song, and never listen to it again while working on the particular project.

Fog
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 22:40:09 (permalink)
you might find it actually helps NOT having such distractions as youtube etc 

you can learn how they make sounds , well boom , have more punch etc... you can't really do it from a mix as it's not on it's own. Once you learn stuff like that , theory wise you won't need to listen to it on others work.

again EQ wise , your not comparing like for like, even if you have say the same synth , the sound can be coloured by numerous subtle effects , which again really alters the overall mix.

learn about side chain ducking , and things like that , if you haven't already .. is one of the things that gives you more room Hz wise, as sub bass / kick will clash.
thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 23:05:31 (permalink)
Make sure the sample rate and bit depth are the same in SONAR and for the Windows Sound setup.

Try that? Now, does it work?

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 23:33:58 (permalink)
Fog

you might find it actually helps NOT having such distractions as youtube etc 

you can learn how they make sounds , well boom , have more punch etc... you can't really do it from a mix as it's not on it's own. Once you learn stuff like that , theory wise you won't need to listen to it on others work.

again EQ wise , your not comparing like for like, even if you have say the same synth , the sound can be coloured by numerous subtle effects , which again really alters the overall mix.

learn about side chain ducking , and things like that , if you haven't already .. is one of the things that gives you more room Hz wise, as sub bass / kick will clash.

Well I'm not copying the sounds exactly 100%, I'm just using them as a reference and to help get ideas. In the end, I EQ and mix with my own ear.
Anyways I appreciate your suggestions and advice, but they do not change the fact that I want to fix the conflict I am experiencing with my drivers.

thomasabarnes

Make sure the sample rate and bit depth are the same in SONAR and for the Windows Sound setup. 

Try that? Now, does it work? 

Where do I find the sample rate and bit depth for the windows sound setup?

sethmopod
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 23:51:50 (permalink)
I wish I had an answer for your problem, but I have to chime in to say +1 for referencing other recordings and for taking breaks!  If I have a few tracks that I know I will reference frequently for a mix, I drop them into their own tracks in the project I'm working on and use mute/solo to check in on them for a second when I need to.

I hope you get your problem solved.   It would drive me nuts too if I had the problem you're describing.

Good luck,
Seth
thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/28 23:59:24 (permalink)
Where do I find the sample rate and bit depth for the windows sound setup?

In the Windows Sound Control Panel, select your playback device and then select Properties at the bottom. Then select the advanced tab, there is a section called "Default format," you select the sample rate and bit depth from a drop down list in that section.

vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 01:05:42 (permalink)
sethmopod

I wish I had an answer for your problem, but I have to chime in to say +1 for referencing other recordings and for taking breaks!  If I have a few tracks that I know I will reference frequently for a mix, I drop them into their own tracks in the project I'm working on and use mute/solo to check in on them for a second when I need to.

I hope you get your problem solved.   It would drive me nuts too if I had the problem you're describing.

Good luck,
Seth

Thanks for all your input. Yeah, hopefully I find a fix for this soon because its definitely becoming a nuisance...

thomasabarnes

In the Windows Sound Control Panel, select your playback device and then select Properties at the bottom. Then select the advanced tab, there is a section called "Default format," you select the sample rate and bit depth from a drop down list in that section. 

So I just checked and rechecked everything, and yes everything is the way it should be. Sample rate and bit depth in Sonar's preferences match that of the Windows sound control panel, Sonar is running on the ASIO drivers from my Fast Track, and the "share driver with other programs" is checked in Sonar's prefs.

I even tried unchecking the "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" from the sound card's "properties" window underneath the samplerate/bitdepth dropdown menu... no difference.

Thanks for your help, but any other suggestions? Really hoping to get this problem solved...

thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 02:26:04 (permalink)
Hmmmm.....

OK here's an option:

-Use your onboard audio for media player/Youtube audio by selecting the onboard audio as the default Windows playback device

-Use the FastTrack in ASIO mode for SONAR

-get a Y spliter adapter that has one male connector and two female connectors, connect the male end into your speakers input and connect the output from your FastTrack headphone jack into one of the female connectors (using a cable that has to male ends) and the front output of the Onboard audio into the other female connector (using a cable that has two male ends.)

Will that work for you?
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/12/29 02:33:03

vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 02:32:00 (permalink)
thomasabarnes

Hmmmm.....

OK here's an option:

-Use your onboard audio for media player/Youtube audio by selecting the onboard audio as the default Windows playback device

-Use the FastTrack in ASIO mode for SONAR

-get a spliter that has one male connector and two female connectors, connect the male in into your speakers input and connect the output from your FastTrack headphone jack into one of the female connectors and the front output of the Onboard audio into the other female connector.

Will that work for you?
I suppose I could do that. But I would need to buy the splitter, and deal with more wires and cables. That would be my last resort, and I would much rather have the problem fixed in my laptop... I mean, should it be working? Is the problem I'm dealing with supposed to be normal? I feel like it shouldn't be, and that there should be some kind of fix. Should I contact Cakewalk customer service? Could it possibly be a problem with the M-Audio Fast Track?

thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 02:36:00 (permalink)
Some audio interface drivers allow sharing drivers with other programs, some don't.

I can do it with my UltraLite-MK3, but some audio interface drivers don't allow it.

thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 02:48:05 (permalink)
Also, maybe you can contact Cakewalk/M-Audio and see if you are suppose to be able to do it internally without having to use a spliter.

Have you tried posting to the M-Audio forum?

vaultwit
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 03:19:57 (permalink)
Well screw me. Took me countless hours of googling to come accross this:  http://www.m-audio.com/?do=support.faq&ID=edb8088eb50111034766ac6534d0e292 which tells me to do exactly what I'm trying to avoid (set my onboard soundcard as default):

There is currently a known issue with the device drivres for M-Audio USB interfaces that affects multi-client operation.  This error can occur when launching an ASIO application and another application, or in some cases the Windows operating system, is trying to access the device.  If you are receiving this error message, quit your recording application, then go to the Windows Control Panel and select your computer's built-in sound card as the default playback and recording device.  This will allow you to use your M-Audio device with your ASIO application.

When you would like to use your M-Audio device for non-ASIO applications (e.g. iTunes, Internet Audio, Windows Media Player, etc), you can set your M-Audio device as the default playback device from the WIndows Sound Control Panel.

thomasabarnes
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2011/12/29 09:51:08 (permalink)
Yeah, that means that the drivers don't allow you to use your soundcard for both SONAR and media player playback. That puts you back to the option of using my suggestion of using a Y spliter.

By the way, other options include using a mixer (running the FastTrack output into a mixer, running the onboard sound into the mixer and connecting your speakers to the mixer output) or connecting the onboard sound output to the FastTrack via S/PDIF or an analog input, and have your speakers connected to the FastTrack, but they all require more cables. Sorry.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/12/29 09:57:46

alkemy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2012/01/08 10:38:48 (permalink)
I'm using an Echo Gina 3g and Sonar X1. I can't get Sonar and Firefox to share the audio outs. When I start Sonar, it takes the outputs and Firefox can't access them. When I start Firefox first, same thing. I'm using ASIO drivers. Is this a problem with Sonar or Echo? I've tried pretty much everything in this thread. Anyone else using the same hardware?
Markusad2014
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2015/07/30 16:25:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rogeriodec 2016/07/16 17:50:17
I had a similar problem with my saffire 6 usb. Sorted it by going into control panel/sound/saffire 6 properties/advanced then selecting 2 channel, 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality) then un-checking both boxes in exclusive mode, hit the test button and hey presto. Deep joy. Hope this helps anybody else trawling about with the same problem.
bongillgoo
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Working in Sonar X1 and also playing music from other programs, like iTunes 2017/07/12 10:00:10 (permalink)
Markusad2014 - YOU ARE MY SAVIOUR. I LOVE YOU. 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1