Worst Album In Your Collection

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/10 11:46:16 (permalink)

Worst Album In Your Collection

I was reading another thread and thinking about the things I bought trying to develop some culture.
I have the ring series from Wagner. That is a hard listen.
I have numerous Musique Concrete albums such as John Cage and others - they are hard listens as well.

But
Metal Machine Music

Double LP with two guitars placed in front of their amps, feeding back and Lou at the mixer recording the sonic mayhem.

Also, my LP has no lead out groove on side 4. The last 2-3 seconds of that noise play over and over.

Now, I consider myself pretty open minded about music. I have thousands of LPS and CDs and some obscure or avant garde things - No Pussyfooting by Eno/Fripp - mostly tape looped stuff and the predecessor to Frippertronics. I kind of like that. My life in the Bush of Ghosts - Eno/Byrne - another very odd one.

I enjoy most classical, some country, very obscure rock and even some pop.

But I have to agree with the critic at Rolling Stone who said that the sound was like the "Tubular Groaning of a Galactic Refrigerator" and was as pleasing as "a night in the bus terminal".

I think this ranks way up there on the list of worst albums of all time. Even worse than Culture Club. Or Lothar and the Hand People.

Your worst?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

69 Replies Related Threads

space_cowboy
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 11:57:40 (permalink)
    Earthbound - By King Crimson is a close second.

Don't get me wrong - I am a very huge fan of KC. However, as I recall, this particular LP was recorded live on a 2 track cassette in 72 or so, well before Dolby was taking off.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 12:08:01 (permalink)
    space.. worst? absolutely loads.. remember I used to sample a lot (before they really clamped down on it) .. so I would have any amount of random records which are REALLY bad from different era's BUT sometimes I used to find the odd snippet to use..
    post edited by Fog - 2009/02/10 12:13:04
    space_cowboy
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 12:21:17 (permalink)
    Fog
    Find a way to try and listen to maybe a minute or two of this MMM by Lou Reed. It will sink your views of worst to new depths.

Oh
    the full LP is not as pleasant as this excerpt

Fog
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 12:27:49 (permalink)
    space.. ah they are trying to be a bit avantgarde / arty with that.. does sound pretty bad. but hey someone bought it

do you like things by Brian Eno and people like Boards of Canada etc? some people like minimalist stuff.. or that appears to be anyway.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 13:18:29 (permalink)
    Yeah but there is a huge difference in the relative artistic content in some of the Eno and other minimalists stuff and just letting guitars feed back and recording it. Then again, I was never really fond of the guy who wrapped things in pink plastic a few years back.

And Lou on that album - my guess is he was stoned out of his gourd. Just a guess mind you.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 13:45:56 (permalink)
    John Cage is interesting.........exactly one time.

Andy Partridge of XTC did an album with some alleged poet, Pietr somebody. Ennui embodied. I couldn't make it through one listen.

The most disappointing album was Miles Davis' ****es Brew, lofty expectations from Miles. Directionless, monotonous, tedious......and those are it's qualities. I played it numerous times, thinking I just didn't get it, maybe if I tried harder........ended up thinking the musician's were the ones who didn't get it

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 14:02:47 (permalink)
    Easily SSQ - "Playback" (of ...have my..."Walkman On" fame).

Even though she was pretty hot, the album's pathetic

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 15:20:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

My life in the Bush of Ghosts - Eno/Byrne - another very odd one.

Spacey, MLITBOG is one of my all time favourites in my collection, which I regularly play year in year out............... I actually love all the Eno ambient series too. Funny how one mans meat is another mans poison musically speaking. By way of entertainment, and to expand my musical knowledge, I occasionally invite two or three people round on a Friday night for a themed musical evening, where they have to bring 2 or 3 of their fave albums from the chosen genre. So far I have had prog rock, modern jazz, 60's pop, classic soul nights and a few more planned. It's amazing what people dig out of their collections and I have had some pleasant (and not so pleasant) surprises.

I digress, worst album, well not so much worse, as total disappointment has to be Miles Davis ****es Brew, I was already totally into Miles and his music before I bought this, having read so much about it's influential nature beforehand, and having already bought his Jack Johnson album, which came afterwards, I thought this would be a life changing album for me. Sadly, I didn't get it, I don't get it and I probably never will get it. If someone could open the door for me on this album I would love it, but it just comes over as self indulgent to me and I often look at it in my collection, a bit like you might have looked at a girl in school that you loved but she just wouldn't love you back.

Garry Kiosk

EDIT: Whoa ! looking back through the thread, I see mcourter has the same difficulty with ****es Brew....
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/10 15:27:53

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 18:06:18 (permalink)

i have very few awful albums, mainly cos i tend to read reviews first. i remember one totally awful bedroom black metal project by Ildjarn called 'Det frysende nordariket', which inexplicably gets 90% in reviews on the encyclopaedia metallum. other than that, i'd vote for 'st. anger' i think...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 18:40:51 (permalink)

Off the top of my head (more to come!) - The Clash - Cut The Crap

Ironic really - it is complete crap

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 18:43:11 (permalink)

But
    Metal Machine Music
    Double LP with two guitars placed in front of their amps, feeding back and Lou at the mixer recording the sonic mayhem.

Also, my LP has no lead out groove on side 4. The last 2-3 seconds of that noise play over and over.

Now, I consider myself pretty open minded about music. I have thousands of LPS and CDs and some obscure or avant garde things - No Pussyfooting by Eno/Fripp - mostly tape looped stuff and the predecessor to Frippertronics. I kind of like that. My life in the Bush of Ghosts - Eno/Byrne - another very odd one.

I enjoy most classical, some country, very obscure rock and even some pop.

But I have to agree with the critic at Rolling Stone who said that the sound was like the "Tubular Groaning of a Galactic Refrigerator" and was as pleasing as "a night in the bus terminal".

I think this ranks way up there on the list of worst albums of all time. Even worse than Culture Club. Or Lothar and the Hand People.

LOL! You do know that this has been transcribed into an orchestral piece, with Lou's approval, and performed by the avant garde ensemble Zeitkratzer, right?
    http://www.musicomh.com/albums/zeitkratzer_0907.htm
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 19:02:50 (permalink)
    Easily in the top 5 would be Touch Dance by The Eurythmics....The Spin Doctors CD is pretty awful too..can't even remember the name of it, only played it once.

Oh, yeah..No. 1, without a doubt - Vapor Trails by Rush. Never got past track 4 of that one.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 19:26:49 (permalink)
    something by some guy palying some kind of music I did not understand.

I forget the details, but it was bad.
    Fog
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 20:44:16 (permalink)
    James

Pocket Full of Kryptonite , Turn It Upside Down , You've Got to Believe in Something ?

only reason I really remember them for one song.. and there was the joke about the lead singer looking like the US world cup soccer teams goalie..hehe

I do remember this subject from maybe over a year ago.. either that or I'm having serious deja vu
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 21:19:12 (permalink)
    The worst?
    Easy - Showaddywaddy's Greatest Hits.

My dad bought it for me in the 70s, when I was 3 or 4. I chose it, probably because of the awful cover. Terrible rock 'n' roll songs...
    But I still have the album! haha

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/10 21:33:20 (permalink)
    Vapor Trails? I know that the album is very poorly mastered, but at least the songs are pretty good. (Even Rush regrets the way it was mixed & mastered.) But... the worst album in your collection? I find that hard to believe!

Best,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 11:43:59 (permalink)
    I find it hard to believe myself Ed, but there it is. I just can't listen to that CD, it's hideous. Rush are a favourite band of mine too.

Truth be told I'd gladly swop it for Slugbaby's Showaddywaddy album. I don't mind a little '50's/'60's homage now and then, and any band with a drummer called Romeo Challenger can't be all bad..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 12:29:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

Easily SSQ - "Playback" (of ...have my..."Walkman On" fame).

Even though she was pretty hot, the album's pathetic

she aint that hot -- looks like a starving Etheopian boys body with a girls head on top

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 13:15:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mooch4056

she aint that hot -- looks like a starving Etheopian boys body with a girls head on top

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2009/02/11 13:21:05

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 15:28:58 (permalink)
    Probably... well, I can't recall the title, but the album was by Wreckless Eric & the New Rockets. A hazy memory from my punk-influenced days.

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 15:30:29 (permalink)
    In order for something to be "the worst" it has to have aspirations to being "the best". So from that perspective, the worst album in my collection is The Eagles Long Road out of Eden. Naturally, you could argue for years about that album's particular aspirations, but I don't think you could argue (well, some could) that they aspired to produce something great. They failed miserably. It bored me to death. It is worthless music. Nothing new to be learned from it, nothing to be inspired by, nothing to even laugh at. I've heard it described as "ear candy" and I think that's pretty apt--the ear has no use for candy.
    mark s
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1140
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 19:04:19 (permalink)

I was reading another thread and thinking about the things I bought trying to develop some culture.
    I have the ring series from Wagner. That is a hard listen.
    I have numerous Musique Concrete albums such as John Cage and others - they are hard listens as well.

But
    Metal Machine Music

Your worst?

and I thought I had the only copy of this one. Maybe you have mine. I got rid of it some years ago. I particularly like how you can lift the needle and drop it anywhere and it sounds like you set it right back into place.

I'd heard it was Lou Reed's way of getting out of a record contract with his label. He was contracted for two more discs. They wouldn't let him out but they were contracted to putting out a certain number of albums. and voila!

Just the same, it may not be the worst but it is the most unlistenable.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 19:16:12 (permalink)
    Mark
    I think I have heard perhaps 5-10 minutes of the 64+ minute thing. Dropped the needle on side 1 side 2 side 3 side 4 and tested the whole "no lead out groove" concept and yep didnt matter where i was, it reminded me of going to the dentist for a multiple root canal while coming down from a bad LDS trip.

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/11 19:39:44 (permalink)
    I can't remember, I used it for target practice. They got my $12.00 though. If I haven't heard them, on the radio or from a friend, I don't buy them. Makes me realize how hard it is to get a recording out.
    That's my girl, that's my dog, but that's not my truck. <--- a lyric I heard that stuck like a tick.

Craig DuBuc
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/26 18:32:33 (permalink)
    Any of the Kiss solo LP's....picked them up for a buck each @ a thrift store....

Broke back in that night to put them back....

Most dissipoining LP was a Santana LP from the 90's (forgot the name)where his brother played on the LP.....I forced myself to listen 3 times....then killed my cat
    bapu
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/26 18:54:49 (permalink)
    Eric Burdon sings the Animals.

Seriously, he made a cover album of all the Animals songs and it SUCKKKKKKED!!!
    post edited by bapu - 2009/02/26 19:00:37
    bapu
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/26 18:56:29 (permalink)
    then killed my cat

So an Animal was harmed in the listening of that album, eh?
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/26 19:02:52 (permalink)
    yes...poor kitty..lol
    ORIGINAL: bapu

then killed my cat

So an Animal was harmed in the listening of that album, eh?

Fog
    RE: Worst Album In Your Collection 2009/02/26 20:09:22 (permalink)
    what Ed (bapu) has neglected to tell us... he changed his name from...

Eric Burdon a number of years ago

to avoid angry animal owners who bought the album..

opps.. he'll have to relocate again

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1