Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/04 16:35:33 (permalink)

Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought!

I saw this and I was stunned - simply stunned. And I feel cheated.

500 Million Americans Have Lost Jobs

By my reckoning, there are about 300MM plus people in the US. We are not allowed to force children or elderly to work and some women have the audacity to raise their kids. That would leave about 100-130MM workers.

Now I am starting to get pissed. That means I have lost 3 or more jobs I didn't even know I had. Where are my 3 unemployment checks????

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

33 Replies Related Threads

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 16:52:42 (permalink)
    Tell me about it. One of the jobs I lost was my OBGYN position and now I'm not able to practice my love on women.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 17:16:25 (permalink)
    Well I wouldn't worry much that means that everyone is out of a job and then those that haven't been born yet too. 500 million is 200 million greater then our population.

Best
    John
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 17:33:56 (permalink)
    Take it from me, you have to apply. Check here if you're not sure.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    space_cowboy
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 18:00:06 (permalink)
    And she is just two heartbeats away.....

And Susan
    I have recieved unemployment in the past. IN 1986, the company I worked for (the evil Halliburton) laid off 55% of the company, then made the remainder of us take 1 week out of 8 off without pay. My ex insisted I go get that $150 check or whatever it was. After the second time down there, I decided I was going to find something to do to earn money that 8th week.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 18:16:42 (permalink)
    Hi-
    After the second time down there, I decided I was going to find something to do to earn money that 8th week

Agreed, it's awful! I'm still within the "waiting week", so I'm not due a check yet, but just about anything is better.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 18:18:25 (permalink)
    Things are much worse. Saw it coming long ago. The loss picture on paper has dragged us all into the red. Living on credit and overextending your ways and means to better your life betting on the future has crashed. Many who aimed high on the next 30 years have lost what they gained. Who says paper is dead, look what it's done.

Craig DuBuc
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 19:08:25 (permalink)
    I thought LuvMyDD 's comment on that page was apt.

but it just shows some people are even worse at math than me..hehe
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/04 19:47:32 (permalink)
    i wonder how many jobs i've lost this month....

- jack the ex-cynic
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/05 14:14:55 (permalink)
    I think I have to agree with Dave +10

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/05 19:57:27 (permalink)
    Apple's lost Jobs.
    (sort of)

- zevo
    space_cowboy
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/05 21:00:07 (permalink)
    hah
    and woznyac

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/06 00:36:46 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry about the jobs... they come and go... it's the $10 trillion or so in "taxpayer bailout debt" that I'd worry about...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=an3k2rZMNgDw&refer=home

Kinda makes that $700B "TARP program" look kinda cute, don't it? Gotta love how the spinmeisters spin their spintastical tales to try to divert your attention from the unpleasant truth...

And nobody knows where the money's going... nobody's talking... I guess it's only fitting...

Signed, "Still Waiting for My Bailout"

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/06 08:23:12 (permalink)
    We are an economy held hostage.

Craig DuBuc
    plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/06 19:23:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

Ther are three kinda of people who can do math ; those that can and those that can't.

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/06 20:12:17 (permalink)
    Ha, and???? Funny. I wonder if everything would have gone so badly if it hadn't been reported by the media the way it is. It is scary but might not have been as bad if everyone wasn't scared, companies didn't feel like it's open season on employees and the failing businesses just failed. What did Thomas Jefferson say? "INDUSTRY must be refreshed with the blood of employees every now and then" Well, that's kind of a paraphrase. Chuckle.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/06 21:45:53 (permalink)
    thank Bubba Bush and Co
    to me-- the whole mess with the economy
    is tied to the WAR
    after the WAR--started ---all prices went up
    through manipalation and speculation and scare tactics and the steady price rise of "OIL"
    made the price of everything else go up and stay up

and don't forget george and dick are "OILMEN"

even though oil has come down recently
    it seems to me no other company's are lowering there prices
    to reflect the drop in the price of energy

our local grocery store prices here in seattle area are outragous

example: a pound of butter is $5.29 are you kiddin me?

they fk'd us hard, left us hanging on day to day

while they rode off into the sunset and retirement with there Multi-Millions

they never cared about you while they were in office and they certinly don't care bout you now

they said they were gonna protect the american people? Really?

But there's was no one to protect us from them

don't agree with me?

we can surely lay this whole mess at their feet without a Doubt

and this hole is so huge
    I'm not really sure obama and the dems can get us out

sadly, it may be to late-- time will tell

Good luck to everyone
    i hope you have enough family and friends to help each other through this time

because an unemployment check doesn't go very far

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/07 00:06:24 (permalink)
    I love it when logic and precise writing leave me rhetorically naked and without an answer. Truely I am stunned.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/07 08:01:56 (permalink)
    LOL

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 01:23:38 (permalink)
    You Poor, helpless, victim of the media !

ORIGINAL: wilson_inc

thank Bubba Bush and Co
    is tied to the WAR
    after the WAR--started ---all prices went up
    through manipalation and speculation and scare tactics and the steady price rise of "OIL"
    made the price of everything else go up and stay up

and don't forget george and dick are "OILMEN"

even though oil has come down recently
    it seems to me no other company's are lowering there prices
    to reflect the drop in the price of energy

our local grocery store prices here in seattle area are outragous

example: a pound of butter is $5.29 are you kiddin me?

they fk'd us hard, left us hanging on day to day

while they rode off into the sunset and retirement with there Multi-Millions

they never cared about you while they were in office and they certinly don't care bout you now

they said they were gonna protect the american people? Really?

But there's was no one to protect us from them

don't agree with me?

we can surely lay this whole mess at their feet without a Doubt

and this hole is so huge
    I'm not really sure obama and the dems can get us out

sadly, it may be to late-- time will tell

Good luck to everyone
    i hope you have enough family and friends to help each other through this time

because an unemployment check doesn't go very far

In my View,
    the reason I think the world Loves Ubama,
    is they are going to enjoy the next 4-8 years of him and his friends screwing us
    Good Luck!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 08:54:08 (permalink)
    Nope it wasn't W and his buds...although they did nothing when they could have at least tried to stop it... but they chose not to. The mess started many years..decades ago. With the politicians ignoring the constitutional limits of the federal government, to defend the USA from enemies foreign and domestic and regulate interstate commerce. That's all our government (federal level) is constitutionally allowed to do.

They have now been crossing the line and putting in place social policy (social engineering) that is crossed over the line.... but the judiciary, which is supposed to call them on it, has refused to do so.

But lets get to what I think is the heart of the matter today.... I think the trigger was the housing issue. Banks were lending money to people for homes that they could not afford, and making these deals with floating rate loans. People were being sold a bill of goods that "THEY" could afford the American dream to own a home, when the truth was... they simply could not afford the monthly cost on their low income. The real problem started when the federal government got involved and mandated by using laws and the threat of legal actions. The banks were forced by our government to lend MORE money to more people who could not afford to own a home and had no real way of paying it back. Multiply this over millions of houses and families.... and you eventually end up with millions of homes in default and recievership. Allow the interest rates to rise a few points and now these people can't pay. They don't know how to manage money, they don't have savings, they don't have the money to buy the big ticket items and soon the economy is in a downward spiral. Factory orders drop, factories lay off, the drive-by media reports, people get scared, and the cycle repeats..... over and over...until ...here we are.....

If this only happened here in the USA...that's greed and stupidity. But it happened worldwide, to people in European countries, and to people in Asian countries.... that is conspiracy and treason, by the international bankers and power brokers.

Now... the efforts of our so called leaders, to try to "stimulate" us out of this problem borders on criminal. Basically, we are borrowing more money to try and get out of debt. Some day...this will have to be paid back...with interest... what a day of reckoning we have coming. What is happening now will be chump change compared to that day..... and when this trillion dollar "stimulus" fails....what then?

And what about Mexico? oh my!!!! We have a major problem on our southern border....there's a war on our border, and it's not good news for us. Murder, kidnappings, rape, robbery, drug cartels fighting for control, the violence is up 50% already over last year at this same time..... that could easily be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" as they say. We could very easily be forced into a shooting war on our own soil as the drug cartels take over the border towns and continue to ply their trade and their violence spills into America. And that issue is mostly ignored by the media and the politicians..... who by the way want to allow millions more to come here illegally......I could go on...but I have to go to work and raise some money for the "stimulus tax".

Peace on earth...goodwill to men.

Just my 2 centavos.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/09 08:56:32

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 09:54:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: plectrumpusher

ORIGINAL: Fog

Ther are three kinda of people who can do math ; those that can and those that can't.

Actually, there are 10 types of people who underdstand binary - those that do and those that don't.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 09:57:07 (permalink)
    thank Bubba Bush and Co
    is tied to the WAR

umm you got your info all wrong there!

1) war is GOOD for the economy. (not good for our soldiers lives however)
    2) your liberal buddy clinton is resposnible (in a lot of ways, athough really nothing more than a pawn used in this) for the housing thing.
    it was he who pushed the (a house for every family) back in 98 and forced fanny mae et al to drop loan requirement standards to below that of the early 80s.
    guess they forgot about the S and L crash back then...

this is far far more to this than meets the average eye.

when (until now) would the words Govt and banks ever be considered an option and accpeptable by the people?

now there is talk of nationalizing banks? wake up America.

and for those of you who think the Fed reserve is owned, opperated or controlled by the US govt better wake up as well.

all the debt the US govt owes is to these banks, (and the US treasury bond holders, and thats another scary thought)

America is NOT owned by America anymore...

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 10:47:47 (permalink)
    all the debt the US govt owes is to these banks, (and the US treasury bond holders, and thats another scary thought)

Hi Scott,

In a nutshell you have well described the situation. However it is more grim than that. Our economy owes a tremendous amount of debt to oil shieks and the huge European banking families. Recently during our current crisis, Citicorp borrowed $9 billion from a Dubai capital fund financed by middle eastern oil.

One of the saddest movies I've seen in a long time was Michael Moore's "Sicko" about the U.S. health care system compared to the U.K., France and Cuba among others. I'm not a fan of Michael Moore (he's a shameless self-promoter), but "Sicko" really hit home with the message that our standard of living has greatly slipped compared to many European countries. The European countries have free health care for everyone and the doctors can still make $1 million, have a townhouse and own a nice Mercedes 500. You know why we can't do that? One reason is debt service.

GK
    post edited by Geokauf - 2009/02/09 10:53:20
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 15:20:56 (permalink)
    thats a complete topic in itself.
    i for one would NEVER want govt run healthcare (they cant manage anything without adding expensive redtape)

but the system is broken yes.

on the other hand its not the doctors themselves. after 8 yrs of school and 2 yrs internship and 25% of income to pay for insurance in a sue happy litigious society
    they are entitled to make good money.

many who are not working out of big name hospitals dont make near what you think. comfortable yes rich no...

its the pharmaceutical companies, health insurance companies and hospitals themselves that are to blame.
    big lobiests in the capital

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 16:33:02 (permalink)
    $1 trillion in spending on this bill alone
    4-5 million jobs
    Do the math
    that is $200-250k/job. That is 5 years at 40-50k/year. The bill is total BS. And we are being terrorized into passing it.

If you actually look at economics day to day (which I do as part of my job), you can see we are being hosed.

This is Pelosi's wish list. It hardly creates jobs.

Oh and you bush bashers. You watch too much mainstream tv and do not think enough on your own. This whole issue started with the Community Reinvestment Act. It was compounded by horrible bank practices of leveraging up loans 30:1, but it started with forcing banks to lend money to people on welfare. That was a bad idea from day one. Don't believe me - look it up. The only ones who are not saying that it started there with the FNMA guarantees are the hugely liberal news outlets who dont even think evading taxes for appointees is a bad thing.

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 19:00:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jcschild
    2) your liberal buddy clinton is resposnible (in a lot of ways, athough really nothing more than a pawn used in this) for the housing thing.

also, clinton was/is an oil man just like the bushes, which some tend to conveniently forget. not to mention that he sold us out to the chinese as surely as regan did with japan.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/09 19:04:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Geokauf
    The European countries have free health care for everyone and the doctors can still make $1 million, have a townhouse and own a nice Mercedes 500. You know why we can't do that? One reason is debt service.

malpractice insurance and pharmaceuticals companies don't help either, nor does our obesity epidemic.

edit: scott beat me to it
    post edited by jacktheexcynic - 2009/02/09 19:09:43

- jack the ex-cynic
    wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/10 02:36:47 (permalink)
    many valid points of view here
    Yeah certinly enough blame to go around

no matter what side your on"Were Fk'd" all of us-- sure as the sun shines
    Why?
    there's no working class people--with common sense
    in the congress -senate - white house-Go figure

750 billion bail out to banks from bush
    3 trillion dollar war from bush
    9 billion in cash missing Iraq because of bush
    a couple years ago Bush said "their's more home ownership than ever" Hehehehehe
    Thats because theres more people than there ever WAS
    Now there's more forecloser's than there ever was
    1 million illegals cross the border ever year
    thats 8 million on bush's watch
    wonder why your neighbor don't have a job-my fellow americans?
    838 billion from obama because of bush
    where is this money going?
    Not to you and me
    the list is to long Etc............

I ask you to take an open eyes -WIDE OPEN LOOK at THE WHOLE picture

i'm not Dem or Repub or any party-- there all full of chit--

Yeah the fix is in and were the ones who get F---k-d

OH and i doubt that anything is going to change
    Why?
    The wealthy puppet master's control everything

So Dance little puppet Dance
    and make the most of it
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Wow Things Are Much Worse Than I Thought! 2009/02/10 06:45:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

1) war is GOOD for the economy.

While there are many good points are made in this thread, I really can't fathom the validity in a statement like this.

Just who exactly foots the bill for this mess??? You, I, and everyone else here in America.

Simple truth is, we are and will continue to suffer because of it.

It's sorta like saying we should go out and be encouraged to get into barfights so that more police are needed thus creating more jobs. Now, think of all those troublemakers who now have to spend money on bail, lawyers, hospital bills, court costs, and such (thus creating more jobs) instead of buying things with discretionary income like Sonar or even ADK computers. Stimulating isn't it? The average guy is now injured and broke, while the ones we hate to give money to are banking on our ignorance.

Corny analogy I know, but it does ring true and the current war situation is no different, but on a much larger scale

If this was a "justified" war (like our Civil War that ended slavery), then I'd be all for it as the enormous expenditure and loss of life "ends" would justify the means, but sadly it is not. But for those who believe it is, and have an open mind as well, you may want to watch this, it may just change your viewpoint.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3719259008768610598

But wars aside, we are all screwed and living on borrowed time, we can all sit back and talk about who started it, who made thing even worse, but what it really comes down to is we are all in a serious jam, and what the heck are we going to do about it? with a national debt that encompasses something like every single man, woman, and child owing $40,000 per person and climbing, gee... what happens when the repo man comes to call on that debt? Hmmmm....let me guess? another war? for freedom? i.e. -freedom to not repay, other peoples money we already spent in the first place? Our national anthem might as well be Led Zepplin's "Your time is gonna come".

And for those of you asking "where is my government bailout?" You should be ashamed of yourselves! Go get a job! Even mowing lawns or washing dishes is much better for society than sitting on your butts milking the system collecting unemployment. Rather you should be petitioning our government to stop the bailout! Because everybody ultimately in the end will pay for that too. Let those companies who are failing, FAIL! We do live in a capitalistic society no? Other business, and hopefully more efficient ones will take their place. & It surely wont be the end of the world if one of the Big3 carmakers is completely dissolved. The other 2 will benefit by soaking up their marketshare.

Okay enough ranting, time to go wash my dirty dishes as they won't wash themselves

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1