Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums (Solved!)

Author
Ferrauda
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2009/04/08 06:05:06 (permalink)

Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums (Solved!)

Hi All

(Please excuse my bad english, I`m from Buenos Aires, Argentina)

I´ve got a Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum, and I want to record drums via MIDI with Sonar 7, triggering the Groove Agent 2 sounds. (or the TTS-1, problem is always the same)

All works perfect except for a wrong instrument assignment. When you play the Snare, you get a Metronome Click sound, and when you hit the Kick, you get the Sticks sound.

All the rest goes smooth and each instrument sounds perfect .

Since the DTXplorer doesn´t allow you to change the assigned instrument for each note, I thought I needed to go over a special Drum Map written for the DTXplorer.

Unfortunatelly, I wasn´t able to get the correct sounds when came to modify the default drum map. I change the notes numbers for Kick and Snare, but the wrong sounds remains the same.

Neither I found a DTXplorer drum map over the internet and the Yamha customer service is not helpful.

Anyone could give me a hint to solve this problem?

Thank you so much

Fab

DTXplorer MIDI transmit note number

Snare= 31
Snare open rim= 34
Snare close rim= 37
Hi-Tom=48
Mid-Tom=47
Low-Tom=43
Ride=51
Ride Edge=52
Clash=49
Clash Edge=57
Hi-Hat Open=46
Hi-Hat close=42
Hi-Hat foot close=44
Hi-Hat foot splash=85
Kick= 33
Option=55

Thanks again
post edited by Ferrauda - 2009/04/08 14:32:28

5 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums 2009/04/08 07:32:01 (permalink)
    All works perfect except for a wrong instrument assignment. When you play the Snare, you get a Metronome Click sound

You'Ll need to go into the Yamaha brains and change the midi transmit numbers to correlate with Groove agent or use some kind of drum map. A little experimentation by changing the midi transmit numbers may be easier than drum mapping, if you don't know anything about them
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Ferrauda
    RE: Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums 2009/04/08 07:37:44 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply, Cj!

Unfortunatelly, the DTXplorer doesn´t allow you to change the assigned instrument for each note. MIDI transmit notes are fixed.

I need to go over a drum map.

The default drum map would be fine if I could get changed the 2 wrong instruments, but I don´t know how to do it.

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums 2009/04/08 07:40:42 (permalink)
    Unfortunatelly, the DTXplorer doesn´t allow you to change the assigned instrument for each note. MIDI transmit notes are fixed.

That sucks, I got my roland v drums to work by changing them in the brain. I hate drum maps, you will too... Go to the Groove agent site and see if they have any drum maps for your yamaha. The VSTi vender (groove agent) should have them.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums 2009/04/08 09:01:36 (permalink)
    Hi Fab - yes, if the DTXplorer can't change the output notes you'll need a drum map.

look at this tutorial I wrote on drum maps:
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/GAPers/index.php?showtopic=74

it's written for the TTS-1 - I haven't ever used Groove Agent, so I don't know what you might need to do differently for it.

if you can't get it working after working thru this tutorial, post back and I'll try to help more.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Ferrauda
    RE: Wrong sounds with Yamaha DTXplorer Drums 2009/04/08 14:24:33 (permalink)
    Solution for Yamaha DTXPLORER wrong midi notes

(I put the title here in order to help other friends finding it in google to get solved this unfair problem)

Well, after a whole night without sleeping I think I found a solution.

(Talking about Sonar 7, perhaps it also works the same in another DAW)

1) Insert your desired Drums Synth.

2) In your MIDI track out Open Drum Map Manager and load a GM Drum Map

3) Looking at the right columns (IN note and OUT note) go to the Note #31 (Sticks) and change only the Out Note for #38 (Bass Kick)

4) Go to Note 33 (Metron Click) and change the Out Note for #36 (Snare)

5) In the same Drum Map Manager go to Out Port and point all your drums instruments to your desired Synth Software (Cakewalk TTS-1, or Groove Agent, or EZdrummer, etc)

6) Save your modified Drum Map as DTXPLORER (or the name you like)

7) Go to the midi track where you will record your drums and set the output to Drum Map DTEXPLORER.

8) Arm the track, press record, sit down at the DTXPLORER and bring as many rock and roll as you can for the enjoyment of all your neighbors.......

And Voila! It works........ You will have your performance recorded in MIDI, able to be edited as you want.

In fact, this is a very very simple solution, but you don´t get the girl until she`s kissing you.......

Thanks so much to the interested friends.

Fab
    Buenos Aires
    Argentina
    webmaster@ferrauda.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1