X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper?

Author
ThomThom
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2011/01/29 07:19:12 (permalink)

X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper?

Hi there,

coming from reaper...
I used different daws in the past, my latest daw, I'm happy so far, is reaper.
But there is one major  feature I'm missing so bad: Matrix view.
For my needs, I see a high potential in musical creativity, and I also don't see, that a comparable feature will be implemented in reaper in near future.

I also see,  that there a may people, complaining about bugs.
But it's time to decide, while sonar 8.5 producer including upgrade to x1 can be bought as a deal.
So I had to buy shortly and to wait, until it's stabilized.
In addition there is a smile for a nice and clean gui, pro channel, hopefully good usability, and I believe a lot of interesting features, I've never seen before.

Are there other reapers here, thinking the same way?
How are your experiences when moving from reaper to x1?
Is it hard, to swap?

Is there a need to go into the huge manual, or can one get used to it just by using it?

X1: 32 or 64 bit Installation?
I've a lot of virtual instruments and effects, many of them I'd like to keep using.
Most of them are 32-bit, while I'm running Windows 7 home producer 64-bit, no problems so far in reaper 32-bit.
In case I'd by x1, should I go the same way, so I mean: Install x1 as 32-bit?
Is there any loss in quality or performance, when using 32-bit version compared to 64 bit?

Can I install x1 32 and 64 it in parallel, or might that cause problems?

Many thanks for reading, helpful answers welcome
ThomThom

8 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 07:30:49 (permalink)
    ThomThom

Is there a need to go into the huge manual, or can one get used to it just by using it?

There are guys here in the forum who have used SONAR daily for ten+ years and still find new things in it even though they've also studied the manual.
    My guess is that if you don't do some active manual studying, you'll never even be aware of what all can be done. You just stick to few basic functions and workflows and end up using 30% of SONARs potential.

I study the manual (and read the forum) more than I actually work with SONAR, so there are a zillion features I know are there but that I've never used in practice. I know that I use only a fraction of SONARs potential.

If Matrix view is your major reason to jump to SONAR, I'd say: Think again or do some more asking around.
    I haven't seen one single post saying that MV delivers what it promises.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 07:43:40 (permalink)
    Welcome to SONAR;

You'll find that many if us have multiple DAWS; Reaper being just one of them.

At the moment there's quite a few complaints about SONAR X1 but we're confident that Cakewalk as usual will get the job done and the forthcoming X1b update should get us pretty close to a good stable release with an improved feature set over the X1 release of just 6 weeks ago. So don't sweat getting into SONAR.

I'd wait till X1b was released before installing so you don't have to cope with any of the main bugs and you'll also start fresh with some of the expected changes as part of the back lash from the X1 release being a little too early.

As far as 32 & 64 bit goes. there's no sound difference and a project made in one will play in the other. Your only issue is plugins. of course if a plugin is needed you can easily bounce that track down so you can bypass the need for the plugin. SONAR's Briodging technology is better than in the past but not perfect. many of us use jBridge and find it bridges most of the 32 bit apps that Bitbridge doesn't.

If you give us a list of your plugin we'll probably be able to tell you what should work.
    YES you can run both 32 and 64 bit on the same computer without any hassel. though it takes a bit of planning to organise the location of your 32 bit and 64 bit plugins. But again theres plenty of help here with those little house keeping kind of chores. 

Many of us run both for the very reason that you may want to use 64 bit for the extra memory with big sample based projects and lots of intense plugins and many tracks but you may also want to REwire and unfortunately Propellorheads hasn't updated the Rewire libraries to 64 bit yet. the good news is that REX2 files now are 64 bit compatible and for many that's a big advancement. If you've got the PC by all means run a 64 biot OS ans run SONAR 32 bit if you want. It works perfectly well. The beauty is you get the choice. 

So go for it but as I said I'd wait till X1b before installing. that said many have few complaints and will say just go for it. depends on your rush and if you want to taske some potential risks.
    I don't think its going to be hard to swap to SONAR. Reaper has a lot of personalization available in its setup whereas the whole shift in SONAR's design with X1 is for a simplification of the process and they've tried to make things logical to find and work with.

All the  best.
    post edited by mudgel - 2011/01/29 07:51:41

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 08:10:44 (permalink)
    I'd like to add that the Groove3 training videos are excellent and free for 30 days.  These videos will give you a great starting point without even looking at the manual.  You can always sign up for the free Groove3 videos BEFORE you buy X1 and get a good idea of how X1 works and if it would suit your needs.
    DAVEB
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 08:18:08 (permalink)
    I suppose if you have lots of virtual instruments,32 bit is a good place to start to avoid any problems.
    I run W7 64bit but use X1 32bit..purely because there's some stuff i didn't want to reinstall and it works fine.

regards,
    dAVE B
    dtboos
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 11:49:52 (permalink)
    My personal recommendation is to move to 64 bit and get situated.  Since that is the standard everything is moving to, I made the choice to migrate to 64 and rid myself of any tie downs to 32 bit software.  I had to replace a couple VST's, but it wasn't nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be, and I am now comfortably set in what will be the supported standard.

I didn't want to have anything I relied on when 32 bit is no longer supported, and figured when I upgraded to X1 would be the perfect time to do this.
    ThomThom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 12:03:23 (permalink)
    Firstly let me thanks for supporting my questions.
    Nice people here!

In many posts I saw people saying, the matrix isn't finished.

Too bad, that there is no trial version yet, so I could check my most important feature, the matrix view, first.

djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 12:36:02 (permalink)
    Hey Thom Welcome to the forum ..  As mentioned above groove3 is a great resource, also if you dont have an audio device, do you homework... Your best bet unfortunately is to buy only Cakewalk hardware, As they test there product's alot more thoroughly with Sonar than 3rd party hardware. Point and case is there hardware controllers seems to work as intended only with CW or edirol controllers. If you take myself for instance I have a beautiful control surface,( Tascam Fw 1884) Thats becoming a paper weight , Every release or update brings me more headaches.. Now my keyboard controller ( AkaiMpk49 )which IMO is hell of alot nicer and built nicer than there own A- 800 pro ect .My Controller Just seems to have problems with ACT.. And according to CW , there is nothing wrong with ACT, and some employees are offended when you mention ACT , dosen't work correctly. Its a touchy situation . I believe CW Should of stuck with Software only. But thats another story
     Anyhow if you want the best possible experience with the least amount of problems you need to buy there products.. 
     As far as the matrix goes, dont base buying Sonar on that, as you will be very disappointed , Its one of features that was ," Hey ableton users look what we have ", And it fell short of there expectations .. Sonar has many great features that you will love don't get me wrong.. Also I'ed wait till x1b is released to sort out alot of problems people are having.. Unless you buy the V-studio hardware with an a-800 pro and use and i7 computer with 8 gigs of ram 64 bit W7 . Then you should have the best experience. 
      Any other combination's is like playing russian roulette.. 

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:X1, 32 or 64 bit installation? moving from reaper? 2011/01/29 12:37:07 (permalink)
    ThomThom

Firstly let me thanks for supporting my questions.
    Nice people here!

In many posts I saw people saying, the matrix isn't finished.

Too bad, that there is no trial version yet, so I could check my most important feature, the matrix view, first.

Sign up for the groove3 videos - you'll see the matrix and all that it currently can do.  It may suit your needs just fine even though it is not Ableton Live yet.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1