X1 Producer Questions

Author
Adji
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 443
2011/01/10 08:11:54 (permalink)

X1 Producer Questions

Hey guys, you probably don't remember me but a few years ago I posted quite a bit on this forum when I considered moving to Sonar 7 from another DAW.
Well now I' considering moving to X1 and finally taking part in the community properly but have a few questions.

- Is it really THAT bad? Everyone seems to be hating on it quite a lot but to me it looks and sounds pretty good. I use Pro Tools 9 at uni but flat out refuse to pay nearly 600 quid for it just because it is considered the 'industry standard.' Don't get me wrong, it is a good and powerful programme but it seems to me that Sonar does pretty much nearly everything pro tools does and at half the price? I dunno.

- That is basically my only question. Some of the bugs to me seem ridiculous, especially the not being able to move the tracks on the mixer window, that seems unbelievable, such a basic function left out?! But everything else seems pretty good?

12 Replies Related Threads

Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 08:18:17 (permalink)
    Ha'way Adji.

X1 has quite a few bugs right now.
    The moving of tracks in the CV is relatively minor compared to some. - Audiosnap being the BIGGIE.
    The workflow has changed from the Sonar7/8/8.5 model, making it much more biased to wards those that like using their computer keyboard rather than the mouse. You may like that, you may not. I'm in the not liking camp at the moment.

I'm also having problems with V-Vocal and many others are having problems with many aspects of X1.

if I were you I'd wait until X1 works or take a look at 8.5.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 08:22:32 (permalink)
    "Don't get me wrong, it is a good and powerful programme but it seems to me that Sonar does pretty much nearly everything pro tools does and at half the price? I dunno."

It has always seemed to me that SONAR does much more than Pro Tools (having been ahead in MIDI-capbilities, supporting OMF without extra purchases, quick bounce etc)    On the expense of stability? I don't know.

There seems to be  a bit more bugs than in a normal upgrade, but I think there's a lot of sourness just because the changes are so big.Changing functions that people have gotten used to is always a difficult process.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Adji
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 08:36:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm more of a muse man myself so I might not like the whole use the keyboard crack. Is there a demo version available yet?
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 10:49:47 (permalink)
    No not yet mate.

If I were you, I'd give 8.5.3. a shot - it's totally stable for a LOT of users and has very few bugs, thuogh there are one or 2, like with ALL other DAW programs.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 11:28:45 (permalink)
    Adji

Hey guys, you probably don't remember me but a few years ago I posted quite a bit on this forum when I considered moving to Sonar 7 from another DAW.
    Well now I' considering moving to X1 and finally taking part in the community properly but have a few questions.

- Is it really THAT bad? Everyone seems to be hating on it quite a lot but to me it looks and sounds pretty good. I use Pro Tools 9 at uni but flat out refuse to pay nearly 600 quid for it just because it is considered the 'industry standard.' Don't get me wrong, it is a good and powerful programme but it seems to me that Sonar does pretty much nearly everything pro tools does and at half the price? I dunno.

- That is basically my only question. Some of the bugs to me seem ridiculous, especially the not being able to move the tracks on the mixer window, that seems unbelievable, such a basic function left out?! But everything else seems pretty good?

I don't know why some users here are "****ing" in the FORUM?

Without being a SONAR "FANBOY", ----------> SONAR X1 are very stable. After A1 update no craches at all.
    Work like a charm and sounds great too especially the new PRO Channel.
    Windows 7 Ultimate use SONAR X1 x64bit only...
    post edited by Freddie H - 2011/01/10 11:30:49

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Twigman
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 11:33:06 (permalink)
    Freddie H

After A1 update no craches at all.

Lucky you.

Have you tried Audiosnap quantise?
    No didn't think so.

Have you tried using V-Vocal while your project contains unfrozen bitbridged VSTis?
    No didn't think so

Have you used V-Vocal and Bounced to Clip?
    I doubt it.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 11:41:10 (permalink)
    Twigman

Freddie H

Lucky you.

No didn't think so.

Have you tried using V-Vocal while your project contains unfrozen bitbridged VSTis?
    No didn't think so

I doubt it.
    Yes I know that is broken, will be fixed in the new update 1b.
    Come on, you not telling me that you think SONAR X1 sucks because AUDIO SNAP Q are broken?

No I haven't tried it, I don't use V-Vocal, I use Melodyne..
    http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=products_editor
    post edited by Freddie H - 2011/01/10 11:44:10

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Twigman
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 11:45:47 (permalink)
    Freddie H

Twigman

Freddie H

Lucky you.

No didn't think so.

No didn't think so

I doubt it.

Yes I know that is broken, will be fixed in the new update 1b.
    Come on, you not telling me that think SONAR X1 sucks because AUDIO SNAP Q are broken?

It sucks for a lot more than that.
    Repeated crashes when attempting to invoke V-Vocal unless all my bitbridged VSTis are frozen.
    The removal of all the toolbar icons right where you need them.
    The removal of right click mouse position contextual menus.
    The insistence that we migrate single mouse click operations to key commands.
    Global snap settings...
    The lack of customisation

etc etc etc

I see NO forward progress from 8.5 to X1 - it seems like a huge backward step in both functionality and usability. It is nothing like as intuitive as 8.5.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 12:19:13 (permalink)
    Well Twigman - it seems to me X1 is not for you. Too bad - but you still have 8.5 until X1 (after some updates) do fit your needs. And if not - well - there is still 8.5, and that program is useful even after many years (software does not deteriorate over time)...

To the OP I would say - you can wait for the demo version to make sure you don't fork out too much money. At the other hand - if you own "8.5" it is only about $99,-. I bought it myself, and I have a very modest income, and did not regretted it one moment (although I must say here in Europe I paid €99,- but got the box with 4 DVD's, small manual and a fast start leaflet).

Anyway - if you buy the upgrade or wait for the demo, I would say - give it a run and make up your mind yourself. The discusion is a bit heated over here, so one advice is more balanced than another (I do not make any judgement about that). At the end the only thing that counts is if you can use it yourself, and not if someone else tells you if it is useful for you or not..

Adji
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 13:54:40 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for the further opinions guys.

I will be using Sonar on a computer with the following:

Windows 7 Home Premium (no use of the features in ultimate etc)
    AMD Phenom Quad Core
    4 gig of RAM (Updating to 8 in a month or so)
    I will be running it at 64 bit which is a first for me, until today I have used 32 bit windows XP for several years.

Thanks again guys, I will here a few more opinions before making up my mind, your input is honestly much appreciated.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 14:11:37 (permalink)
    Adji

Hi.  I'm not going to stay in this thread for various reasons, but here's my thoughts:

1- ON forums we generally will always hear much more about problems.  That's what forums are for, usually.   So one must weight that factor in.

2- There are those who seem to be having orgasmic experiences with X1 and those that are having issues with it.   That's normal I think. 

3- It's a brand new overhaul to the entire GUI so we can expect lots of problems during the initial release phase, and until they start to release serious bug fix patches, which they will.

SO - I would wait for the demo to come out.  Sonar is still one of the best DAWs available, so even with initial problems we can generally expect CW to take care of business and get things stable as quickly as their resources allow.

In the meanwhile, you can read not just about the problems, but some of the features.  You can spend time researching the changes, etc.   Then once you have the demo you will be a bit more familiar with it from the get go.

X1 does not suck.  I don't think anyone actually believes that (though I could be wrong).  X1 has some issues that need fixin' quickly, and I said, I think that will happen fairly soon.

Don't be fooled by a public forum's outpouring of opinions.  It really is normal, and let's face it -- humans have a hard time being civil lately and that is also quite common in public forums.

I, for one, stopped using X1 because the particular bugs I found were problematic for me.  But I'm VERY confident I'll be coming back to it after the first big bug patch.   Cakewalk has been in business a long time and I doubt they're about to let things fail everyone.   It's normal for new releases to struggle at first, so give it a little bit more time and see how the waters look then.

And now I bow out of this thread ;)   Good luck with your decision.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Jally7
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:X1 Producer Questions 2011/01/10 19:21:44 (permalink)
    Yes there are some glitches and problems with X1, but am I the only one with faith that they will be resolved and become as stable as 8.5.3? I have X1 and there are many things that I love about it just as I believe that Cakewalk will be addressing the problem areas. Until that time I will play around with X1, but the meat and potatoes of my production will be done with 5.5.3. Patience Grasshoppers

KillaTroy Productions Sonar Platinum
    HP Envy Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU@2.24GHz] 16.0GB RAM Windows 10 64-Bit OS
    500 GB SSD Roland Quad-Capture

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1