X1 choke points?

Author
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
2011/02/04 18:42:37 (permalink)

X1 choke points?

I'm kind of curious as to what your X1 'choke point' would be. 

What I am talking about is the limit that your X1 will go before it crashes or freezes your system.

I understand that there is a hardware/software interface issue that may show up but...how many tracks, how many FX and VST's within each track can you throw at X1 before it goes 
poof on you?

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos

7 Replies Related Threads

siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 19:00:58 (permalink)
    that really depends on your machine.  a 4 gb system might only get 40 tracks and 20 vst(I)'s       8 or 12 gb rigs may run 120 tracks and 50 synths with 25% cpu to spare..    I dont think X1 has a set limit before it's in danger, as long as it likes that system..

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 20:09:15 (permalink)
    i agree with siris.  sonar doesnt care how many tracks, plugins or instruments u have going.    on my current machine i have never been able to overload the cpu, disk, or ram.  if i didnt freeze synths im sure i would have a long time ago.  i dont think i've had any projects with more that 50 tracks tho.  i do use plugins with utter recklessness.  i do mostly acoustic instruments (bands and songwriters) but my clientel is pretty diverse- ive seeni it all in the last 6 years.
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 20:09:16 (permalink)
    i agree with siris.  sonar doesnt care how many tracks, plugins or instruments u have going.    on my current machine i have never been able to overload the cpu, disk, or ram.  if i didnt freeze synths im sure i would have a long time ago.  i dont think i've had any projects with more that 50 tracks tho.  i do use plugins with utter recklessness.  i do mostly acoustic instruments (bands and songwriters) but my clientel is pretty diverse- ive seeni it all in the last 6 years.
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 21:34:21 (permalink)
    My peak has been 48 tracks with at least that many plugs and 8 aux busses. I've been working on this project for about two weeks now, biggest I've ever tried to do, lotsa Dim Pros because the song has a big horn section plus piano, organ, etc. No tracks frozen or anything yet because cpu meter is only at about 25%.
    Haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood)

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 21:38:06 (permalink)
    trimph1

What I am talking about is the limit that your X1 will go before it crashes or freezes your system.

I understand that there is a hardware/software interface issue that may show up but...how many tracks, how many FX and VST's within each track can you throw at X1 before it goes 
    poof on you?

I'm kind of curious what your choke point is.  I haven't found mine yet.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 22:10:27 (permalink)
    Lynn

trimph1

poof on you?

I'm kind of curious what your choke point is.  I haven't found mine yet.
    So far I've managed about 60 tracks before it froze on me...and that seemed to be because of my own odd behaviour..  

I'm actually asking this more out of curiousity of those who seem to be having trouble with the way X1 is running on their systems...mine is on a Asus mobo with a 6 core processor and a MAudio Fast Track Pro 4X4 card....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:X1 choke points? 2011/02/04 22:35:34 (permalink)
    So far I've loaded a 20 track project with loads of plugs/synths, and I've loaded a 2 track project with 1 plug and 1 synth. Both have crashed at various points.

Other projects that are similar, I've had no problems at all.

Ain't that a bit--? :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1