Helpful ReplyX2- I Waited to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure [SOLVED??]

Author
tbosco
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 903
2012/10/12 13:40:54 (permalink)

X2- I Waited to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure [SOLVED??]

Hey guys,

I read a number of older posts concerning RIFF File Failure and some blerbs about Picture Cache, and I have waited to post my problem to see if anybody else was having this one.  (Actually 2 problems...)

I am working on a tune that I just barely started in X1 when X2 came along and I have 90% of the work done in X2.  The tune consists of normal Audio tracks, MIDI tracks, and uses various loops of both REX and WAV format.  Due to my somewhat anemic system (see below) and its 4GB RAM constraint, my workflow involves freezing most tracks as I go along.

Problem 1-  If I save an X2 project and close Sonar, then reopen Sonar, most of the clips will not display the audio wave, but just straight lines.  I have emptied and even deleted my Picture Cache till I am blue in the face.  I adjusted my Picture Cache size to 4000MB.  The Picture Cache and Project Files are on my D Drive (Sonar on C Drive).  I have to manually Recompute Pictures constantly to see the wavforms.

Problem 2-  Very often, I will get an Error Message that says "RIFF File Open Failure", then it lists the file path that was the culprit and it is always in the Picture Cache.  This error will crash Sonar, or prevent playback.  I usually get the message if I'm trying to bring in another loop.  (The project has gotten large with 63 tracks in it, but there aren't really too many loops in it.)

So these 2 problems seem related by "Picture Cache".  Anyone got any ideas?  Settings to look at?  Should I have "Enable Read Caching" checked in my Audio Preferences?

Help!   Thanks!!!
post edited by tbosco - 2012/10/13 09:17:35

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
JNCS Computer with Asus X99 Motherboard (i7)
Win10 Pro 64bit, 32GB RAM
Motif XF7, Komplete 11, Ozone 7, 
Komplete Kontrol 88 keys,
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Focusrite ISA 430 Mk 2 Mic Pre,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Drawmer 3.1 Monitor Controller
Fractal Axe FX 2 XL Guitar Processor
Lots-o-Guitars
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/12 14:23:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I would do a check disk with the F parameter. 

Best
John
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/12 18:20:40 (permalink)
John has a good idea. It almost sounds like there may be a bad disk sector where your cache file is located.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
tbosco
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/12 20:29:42 (permalink)
Thanks guys.  Did the check disk.  No change. This didn't happen in X1.

What makes it worse is I'm really stoked about X2 because it seems like CPU usage is considerably lower... so this other problem is killing me.

Grrrrrrrr.....

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Lots-o-Guitars
Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/12 21:14:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Problem 1- If I save an X2 project and close Sonar, then reopen Sonar, most of the clips will not display the audio wave, but just straight lines. I have emptied and even deleted my Picture Cache till I am blue in the face. I adjusted my Picture Cache size to 4000MB. The Picture Cache and Project Files are on my D Drive (Sonar on C Drive). I have to manually Recompute Pictures constantly to see the wavforms.

This will get argued endlessly, but I like to keep current projects all on the same drive. The C drive where the OS and Sonar are. Because, if you don't pay attention to where different things in the project are being stored, windows might not either. I can't be any more technical than that, but if you store your your current projects on the same drive until you're finished with them, you shouldn't have that problem.

Craig DuBuc
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/13 07:14:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Tony - I have some time this weekend, and could try to see what happens if I load your problem project onto MY machine.

To that end, I will send you a private message that includes my private email and my cell number.  

I think that since you are using a bunch of audio tracks, evena compressed folder would likely be too big to email me, so there are 2 choices:

1.  Copy the innards of your project to another project folder, and strip it all down to the smallest set of things that produce the problem on your machine, and THEN email me a compressed folder with THAT project folder in it.  This would also need to include any of the REX and other loops and whatnot, so that I had everything I needed to open the stripped down project at my end, to see what problems it shows up on my computer with.
2.  If doing the stuff in step 1 does not work, I can setup an FTP uer and folder on one of my developmental web sites, and can send detailed instructions via a private message as to how to connect and upload your entire project folder (AND all REX loops or any other stuff I would need).  That would allow me to exactly duplicate your project on my computer, to see what happens in MY environment.

So, pick one and let me know.  I am going to momentarily send you my contact info anyways, so check your private messages and get back to me.  Feel free to call or email, or post here, or all of the above.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
tbosco
Re:X2- I Waited a While to Post This- RIFF File Open Failure 2012/10/13 09:21:12 (permalink)
Geeze....  I feel like such a dumba$$....  I noticed I had set my Pic Cache FIle Size at 4000MB in my CONFIG file.... the max allowable is 2000.

So I reset it at 1950MB, and sure enough this morning all my waveforms redrew AND I was able to import new loops and start playback without an error and dropout/crash!!!

Yippee!!

Many thanks for the advice guys.  Thanks to Bob for offering to review my project.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is the solution!!  If not, I'll be contacting ya Bob.

Cheers!

Tony

SONAR Platinum
Softube Console 1,
PreSonus Faderport 8,
Yamaha HS8s and Sub
Lots-o-Guitars
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1