Helpful ReplyXLN Authorization Problem [Solved]

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/15 08:29:14 (permalink)
abacab
So, Windows Defender runs in the background when you use a 3rd party AV on Windows 10, but in my case, since I had uninstalled my 3rd party AV it was running in full real-time scan mode.  I had to go into Windows Group Policy editor to disable Defender.  That is only available in Windows Pro, but there are registry edits available for Home users. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-turn-off-windows-defender-windows-10-a.html

Once I disabled Defender, my installer connected just fine.  I had tried nearly everything else including disabling firewalls, etc.  It really surprised me that Defender was interfering with an internet connection, but I'm now convinced that Microsoft has turned Defender into a super net nanny!

I opened defended and turned off the real-time and cloud-based protection. Are you saying that isn't enough? You have to go into the Group Policy Editor?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/15 16:13:08 (permalink)
Anderton

I opened defended and turned off the real-time and cloud-based protection. Are you saying that isn't enough? You have to go into the Group Policy Editor?

So I assume turning off protection did not help.

Not sure what Defender component was blocking my installer, but completely disabling Defender so that even the service was no longer running is what freed up my installer's outgoing connection.  This was the last thing I tried after everything else.  Makes no sense to me!

Microsoft has made it very difficult to completely stop Defender on the latest Windows. I think that Microsoft is trying to protect us from ourselves in a very dumbed down way.  This is probably a good thing for some folks, but not us! 

Even if you install a 3rd party AV, Defender continues to run in the background.  It just deactivates Defender real-time protection, but continues to perform scheduled scans.

Group Policy Editor lets you act as administrator to completely disable it. 

I'm not saying this is what is causing your issue, but based on some uncanny similarities in our problems, it is probably worth a shot to check out. I wonder if Microsoft changed something in a recent update that is messing with the way certain developers coded their apps to download software, that appears to be behaving like malware.  A stealth false positive, maybe?

If that's not it, I wish you luck!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/15 16:40:06 (permalink)
Craig perhaps you have done this already but have you  turned off the Firewall and all virus software?
Other things to do
If it's still not working (and you're on a Windows computer) then it is possible that you are running your DAW in compatibility mode, which interferes with the authorization. Right-click on the DAW icon -> Properties -> Compatibility tab. Then deactivate Compatibility mode if activated and try again. Do the same for the Online Installer.
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/15 20:40:29 (permalink)
For all the trouble you have been having I think you should format the drive and install fresh or at least try a now hard drive and reinstall. it would have taken less time them solving this problem and others you have posted here.

peace!   

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/16 01:16:00 (permalink)
I'm having problems only with XLN's Online Installer program. It's not worth taking the time to re-format the drive if I can't be certain that will fix the problem. Besides, XLN gave me a test file to download from their servers and it worked without problems, so it's not my internet or ISP. it's only the Online Installer that refuses to connect.

Fitzj, I've tried running the online installer in every compatibility option known to man. XLN told me to remove all the AD2 Dlls so they're not a factor. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/16 01:57:07 (permalink)
Have you tried removing everything XLN, nuking all XLN related folders (Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, Documents, Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming) you could just rename them if allowed, or cut/copy/paste so as to be able to return to your current state and not loose any personalized stuff, nuke all references from the registry, rebooting and starting from scratch?

And how about on another computer (same location), can you get it to hook up?

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/16 03:36:41 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
Have you tried removing everything XLN, nuking all XLN related folders (Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, Documents, Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming) you could just rename them if allowed, or cut/copy/paste so as to be able to return to your current state and not loose any personalized stuff, nuke all references from the registry, rebooting and starting from scratch?

That is probably the "nuclear option," but I'm not sure how those things could cause the Online Installer not to connect to the XLN servers...maybe the error message isn't really describing the nature of the problem, though. 

And how about on another computer (same location), can you get it to hook up?

I have a different computer, same location, and it also won't connect but has a completely different problem where it gets into this loop where it updates, restarts, says there's a problem with the installation and needs to update, updates, restarts, says there's a problem with the installation and needs to update, updates, restarts...rinse lather repeat. Maybe that indicates what you're suggesting about nuking everything would indeed help.

Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/16 07:43:55 (permalink)
I was also thinking (it sometimes happens), that from memory I think the XLN stuff use to required re authorization after major Windows 10 updates (I am not 100% certain now, because I have had updates disabled for a long time), could be coincidental, but it couldn't hurt to check your Windows 10 update history to make sure there aren't any failed updates or such, a long shot, but you never know, computers and software can be funny things, easy to check anyway.

2 different computers from the same location, I would be looking (rightly or wrongly) at settings in your network (router firewall or whatever) that for whatever reason became a little skewed towards XLN's system, probably very unlikely, but again anything is possible and an easy thing to check, you have an odd problem.
post edited by Matron Landslide - 2017/11/16 08:28:09

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Unknowen
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/16 12:50:24 (permalink)
Anderton
I'm having problems only with XLN's Online Installer program. It's not worth taking the time to re-format the drive if I can't be certain that will fix the problem. Besides, XLN gave me a test file to download from their servers and it worked without problems, so it's not my internet or ISP. it's only the Online Installer that refuses to connect.

Fitzj, I've tried running the online installer in every compatibility option known to man. XLN told me to remove all the AD2 Dlls so they're not a factor. 

I get that, but you have had two other problem that you have posed here in the last few months. :) (warning signs)
You can't just keep patching things up. It's a refreshing feeling to clean house. You are most likely running ragged as always, over doing your work load... lol But in the time that you have spent on this issues, that should have not been an issues... You could have reinstalled your system 3 times. I know, I just did it on one of my systems. :) But that's just me. lol
If I see you have one more computer issues, I'm going to buy you a hard dive myself! lol

peace! :)

Hay look,
dnelson1971
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 04:01:08 (permalink)
As an old IT guy, this sounds like a DNS issue to me. Perhaps your computer has an old DNS record in the cache and is trying to resolve to an obsolete IP address for the server. To clear the cache, open a command prompt as Administrator and type:

ipconfig /flushdns
Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 06:01:08 (permalink)
11Dreams

I get that, but you have had two other problem that you have posed here in the last few months. :) (warning signs)
You can't just keep patching things up. It's a refreshing feeling to clean house. You are most likely running ragged as always, over doing your work load... lol But in the time that you have spent on this issues, that should have not been an issues... You could have reinstalled your system 3 times. I know, I just did it on one of my systems. :) But that's just me. lol
If I see you have one more computer issues, I'm going to buy you a hard dive myself! lol
peace! :)

I appreciate the sentiment, but given how hard I push my computers, two issues in the last few months isn't bad. One was the motherboard needed a new driver from Intel, so a Windows flush wouldn't have solved it. The other was fixed when Windows went into recovery mode and replaced whatever was wrong. A flush would likely have solved that, but again, to re-install everything would have set me back a week...no kidding. I have a zillion programs on my main music computer using a zillion different kinds of installation and authorization protocols. 

When it's time to start over, which I do when there's a new OS or whatever, I have a removable C: drive and just install stuff as needed. It takes just as much time, but spreads it out over a much longer time period so I'm not dead in the water.

I received a note from XLN and they believe they've isolated the file that's causing the problem...I think it relates to a certificate. 

Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 06:01:49 (permalink)
dnelson1971
As an old IT guy, this sounds like a DNS issue to me. Perhaps your computer has an old DNS record in the cache and is trying to resolve to an obsolete IP address for the server. To clear the cache, open a command prompt as Administrator and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

Is there any "law of unintended consequences" here, like making other things not able to connect?

ArcRex
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 06:13:51 (permalink)
I noticed his thread because today AD KEYS is not being recognized. I am blaming MS and the Fall creator update, but that is because it was the last thing I installed. I tried to use the XLN installer and my PC is being recognized as a new PC. I added the PC as a new PC and it works again. I m just writing this as a possible headsup.

Unknowen
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 06:15:33 (permalink)
it's all good Craig! :) Sound like you've had some crazy issues lately.
I just have issues when a system is not working.. lol it's a problem 

Peace!

Hay look,
dnelson1971
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 06:55:56 (permalink)
Anderton
dnelson1971

ipconfig /flushdns

Is there any "law of unintended consequences" here, like making other things not able to connect?

No. Basically, Windows keeps a list of IP addresses and servers you have interacted with in the past and when you or a program tries to access a site or resource, it checks to see if it already knows the address. This doesn't do much for you other than save a couple of milliseconds, but since there are countless billions of DNS queries a day, it greatly reduces unnecessary loads on public DNS servers. Clearing your cache will force your machine to obtain the latest publicly registered address in case something has changed on the server end. If the developers have identified an issue with an expired or invalid SSL certificate or something else that is breaking the trust relationship between your PC and their server then I could be completely on the wrong track.
abacab
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 14:03:52 (permalink)
dnelson1971
Anderton
dnelson1971

ipconfig /flushdns

No. Basically, Windows keeps a list of IP addresses and servers you have interacted with in the past and when you or a program tries to access a site or resource, it checks to see if it already knows the address. This doesn't do much for you other than save a couple of milliseconds, but since there are countless billions of DNS queries a day, it greatly reduces unnecessary loads on public DNS servers. Clearing your cache will force your machine to obtain the latest publicly registered address in case something has changed on the server end. If the developers have identified an issue with an expired or invalid SSL certificate or something else that is breaking the trust relationship between your PC and their server then I could be completely on the wrong track.

Alternatively, the DNS server you are connecting with, is by default typically the one provided by your ISP.  I have encountered issues with DNS servers not letting me connect with certain addresses.  This can happen if something their cache is flawed.

I use Google Public DNS or OpenDNS these days as my DNS servers, as an alternate to my ISP servers.  One day I had difficulty accessing a site I normally go to every day.  Other folks said they had no problem connecting, so I knew the site was up, but just not for me.

So I switched from OpenDNS to Google Public DNS, and things were working great again.  DNS is the great internet phone book, so it must work correctly if you need to connect to anything.

To try them out, just configure your network settings to use these IP addresses as your DNS servers.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

or

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 18:08:46 (permalink)
Well this is not the same issue, but on my end, and only on the one computer,  something is screwed up with XLN installer. 
I loaded a project it was showing AD2 in Demo mode. So I ran the Installer,,again for the 4 th time,, and this time I got the authorization screen. So I re activated and back in business. But now, randomly when I try to change kits or kit pieces I get a warning that there is an error in the XLN installer and it needs to close? I took the machine back off line and I still get it. Only good news is AD2 is working fine,, but I do not like nag screens when I'm working. 

I'm with you Craig when you say might as well screw this software and use something that works without all this time wasted on nothing. 
I really like the sounds I get from Air Strike2 but it's GUI is not as user friendly as AD2. And you have to set all your drum tracks to Ch2 for some weird reason. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 18:09:03 (permalink)
Well, at this point XLN's response was to delete everything related to XLN, and try again. No joy. I've tried everything that everyone here has suggested except for abacab's suggestion above, because I have no idea how to change the DNS settings (I know virtually nothing about networking, not my thing), so I'm concerned that if I start messing around, I'll destroy something unintentionally.

I did notice a "Network Reset" option, but it had scary warnings about needing to possibly reinstall other networking software, such as VPN client software or virtual switches. Since I have no idea how to do that, I left it alone.

It's particularly frustrating that I can connect to every other site I've tried, download programs and updates from all other sites, etc. Only the XLN installer gives me this problem, which is even more bizarre because I've downloaded updates to the installer from their site, so obviously I can connect to their servers and download stuff.

If XLN can't help any further, then I guess it's time to give up and move on. Not sure what I'll do with older projects that had AD2 in them. This pretty much sucks.

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 18:16:14 (permalink)
Anderton
Well, at this point XLN's response was to delete everything related to XLN, and try again. No joy. I've tried everything that everyone here has suggested except for abacab's suggestion above, because I have no idea how to change the DNS settings (I know virtually nothing about networking, not my thing), so I'm concerned that if I start messing around, I'll destroy something unintentionally.

I did notice a "Network Reset" option, but it had scary warnings about needing to possibly reinstall other networking software, such as VPN client software or virtual switches. Since I have no idea how to do that, I left it alone.

It's particularly frustrating that I can connect to every other site I've tried, download programs and updates from all other sites, etc. Only the XLN installer gives me this problem, which is even more bizarre because I've downloaded updates to the installer from their site, so obviously I can connect to their servers and download stuff.

If XLN can't help any further, then I guess it's time to give up and move on. Not sure what I'll do with older projects that had AD2 in them. This pretty much sucks.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with this. Very frustrating, I know...

AD2 is a good program though I have a few issues with it and the company's policies, but I hear BFD is even better? I can't afford to explore that but it would be interesting to discover?

I know it can be a lot of work replacing drum kits, but a track template can take a lot of the sting out of it?

It's sad that these matters get left unresolved as there is obviously something needing attention. It's not as if you're a novice user!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 19:12:46 (permalink)
Given all you've done and continue to do for the music community, I think XLN should fly someone out to you and troubleshoot the situation on-site until it's fixed. And yes, I know they're in Sweden. And yes, I'm serious.

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
Atsuko
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 365
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 19:13:24 (permalink)
Anderton

Craig,
just my 2 cents but did you turn off your network modem for a while? If not, try it. I sometimes can't connect my iPhone to my network when every other device can.  I just turn off for 15 seconds and then turn it on again and the iPhone connects fine.

Desktop Intel I7 12GB RAM Win 10 64bit - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen - Roland A-300 PRO - Yamaha HS50M speakers - Sonar Platinum/CbB - Samplitude Pro X3 - Studio One 4 - Melodyne 4 Studio - Ozone 8 Adv - Neutron 2 Adv - RX7 Adv - ARC2 // Notebook Dell I7 8GB RAM Win 10 64bit
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 19:24:41 (permalink)
Anderton

You won't break anything, and you can always change it back. Here are some instructions:
https://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 19:46:22 (permalink)
It sounds like this is a unique problem particular to your system. Do you run anything else that's kind of unique to your system? I'm thinking about things like remote desktop log ins or or terminal emulations. My ex works from home at times and uses some proprietary software for remote business connection. That will mess up some programs on her home system because of network security issues.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
dnelson1971
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 22:21:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/11/17 22:28:21
I did some digging and determined that the server hostname is server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net and the IP address is 13.33.92.83. To determine if your computer is able to find and communicate with the server outside of the update software you can try to ping the server by the hostname and see if it returns the correct IP address.

To do this, open a command prompt and type ping server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net

You should see something similar to the following:

Pinging server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net [13.33.92.83] with 32 bytes of
data:
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=235ms TTL=240

Please try this and let me know the results. 
abacab
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 22:29:08 (permalink)
dnelson1971
I did some digging and determined that the server hostname is server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net and the IP address is 13.33.92.83. To determine if your computer is able to find and communicate with the server outside of the update software you can try to ping the server by the hostname and see if it returns the correct IP address.

To do this, open a command prompt and type ping server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net

You should see something similar to the following:

Pinging server-13-33-92-83.dfw53.r.cloudfront.net [13.33.92.83] with 32 bytes of
data:
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=240
Reply from 13.33.92.83: bytes=32 time=235ms TTL=240

Please try this and let me know the results. 

+1

You deserve a cookie for that suggestion!  That would eliminate the DNS question, and certainly narrow it down a bit to a conflict in the system between the XLN online installer and a firewall or AV service blocking the access.

dnelson1971
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/17 23:13:01 (permalink)
abacab

+1

You deserve a cookie for that suggestion!  That would eliminate the DNS question, and certainly narrow it down a bit to a conflict in the system between the XLN online installer and a firewall or AV service blocking the access.

Thank you. I prefer to always eliminate the obvious. I'm actually hoping that the ping fails to resolve. It will be much easier to fix that than to chase down a firewall problem from both ends.
Anderton
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/18 00:45:32 (permalink)
Wow, people here are effing smart...

Here's what showed up. Note that the first time, it timed out. Second and third times I tried, all seemed well. The firewall at this end is disabled when I try to run the online installer, so not sure if it has any influence on what's happening.

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/18 00:48:44 (permalink)
Anderton

Here's what showed up. Note that the first time, it timed out. Second and third times I tried, all seemed well. The firewall at this end is disabled when I try to run the online installer, so not sure if it has any influence on what's happening.

I'm very happy to say that I've never had to resort to such sleuth tactics with SONAR or anything bundled with SONAR.  The installs and auths have just happened the way they should.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

abacab
Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/18 00:56:30 (permalink)
Anderton

Well, other than that one dropped packet (which is minor, and could be anything), it looks like your DNS lookup is working.  So your network is not likely the issue.  Your PC and OS can contact that server. The ping proves that!

But if your XLN Online Installer still cannot connect to that server, something on your system is interfering with that application's attempt to open an outbound network connection.

Re: XLN Authorization Problem 2017/11/18 01:23:25 (permalink)
The ability to connect to the XLN servers was already confirmed earlier by the fact that CA could connect to the servers with the old XLN installer, and it was only when the installer updated that the problem occured, also by being able to download the 'test file' that XLN gave, likely for the very purpose of confirming ability to connect. You perhaps just got to find what is stopping the installer from connecting, which is a bit tricky if the older version could connect, but when updated to the latest version it couldn't. If nothing else it's a learning experience

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1