XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables

Author
milesbluesky
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
2009/06/04 13:40:42 (permalink)

XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables

OK. I know this is a stupid question, but I am a newbie and not afraid to ask. I am setting up my studio to use with Sonar 8 Producer. I just bought some KRK 8 powered monitors with the KRK 10 Sub. I need xlr's to connect the sub and 8's. Went to a little music store close to my house, asked for speaker cables with xlr connectors. Was told that I could use microphone cables for the same purpose. There is no difference. Is that right?

I know I cannot use an instrument cable for speakers. Can I use a mic cable with xlr's to connect the sub to the monitors.

Thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Platinum Member
    • Total Posts : 11678
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/04 13:48:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: milesbluesky

OK. I know this is a stupid question, but I am a newbie and not afraid to ask. I am setting up my studio to use with Sonar 8 Producer. I just bought some KRK 8 powered monitors with the KRK 10 Sub. I need xlr's to connect the sub and 8's. Went to a little music store close to my house, asked for speaker cables with xlr connectors. Was told that I could use microphone cables for the same purpose. There is no difference. Is that right?

I know I cannot use an instrument cable for speakers. Can I use a mic cable with xlr's to connect the sub to the monitors.

Thanks.

Yes, what you need would be called mic cables or line cables. When dealing with powered speakers you don't call them speaker cables anymore. The real speaker cables are inside the speakers so they are not needed.

You only call them speaker cables when you have passive speakers that require an external amp.
    post edited by ohhey - 2009/06/04 13:49:44
    milesbluesky
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/04 13:52:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. Makes sense.
    hgj1357
    Bronze Member
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 11:41:48 (permalink)
    Piggy back question: If I have multiple power amps/heads and multiple speakers, can I use a patchbay to allow quick combinations? I understand that I will need speaker cables in this instance.
    hairyjamie
    Silver Member
    • Total Posts : 947
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 12:41:52 (permalink)
    Yes, no reason why not, watch your levels though and I would mute outputs before plugging and unplugging cables, you don't want a nasty pop to damage either your speakers or your ears.

For quick changes/comparisons you might want to invest in an A/B box setup, this will only handle 2 outputs but you can always have two or more in serial.
    rumleymusic
    Silver Member
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 13:50:43 (permalink)
    Piggy back question: If I have multiple power amps/heads and multiple speakers, can I use a patchbay to allow quick combinations? I understand that I will need speaker cables in this instance.

It should be no problem to stick a 1/4" connector onto a speaker cable. I've connected 1/4" outs on an amp to passive speakers several times without a problem. I see not reason you could not do it with a patch bay, though, like it was said, you have to be careful of yanking chords with amplified signals out of their sockets, you could damage something.

I know I cannot use an instrument cable for speakers.

Well I suppose you could, it just wouldn't be a very good idea.
    ohhey
    Platinum Member
    • Total Posts : 11678
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 14:04:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hgj1357

I wouldn't use a patch bay. There are just too many things that could go wrong and you would have to be an expert to know what not to do and make sure you followed the rules every time. That's just too much left to chance.

It's best to get a switch box made for this application so all contacts lift (non shorting) and make contact at the same time. Some have load protection for the amps and anti pop features also.
    hgj1357
    Bronze Member
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 15:16:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

ORIGINAL: hgj1357

I wouldn't use a patch bay. There are just too many things that could go wrong and you would have to be an expert to know what not to do and make sure you followed the rules every time. That's just too much left to chance.

It's best to get a switch box made for this application so all contacts lift (non shorting) and make contact at the same time. Some have load protection for the amps and anti pop features also.

That sounds good! Who makes 'em?
    losguy
    Platinum Member
    • Total Posts : 5421
    RE: XLR Mic Cables vs. Speaker Cables 2009/06/05 15:21:46 (permalink)

Psalm 30:12 (then click the "C" on the left)
    On God's Kingdom and its Relevance
    Fast Forward... to the End of Days
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6