XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined

Author
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
2006/07/16 20:17:21 (permalink)

XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined

How 'bout that, eh guys? Two (2) brand new expansion packs for the price of none. Doesn't get much better than this…

What's really got me going is that fact that we're finally seeing some serious *.sfz action in the Dimension Pro content! I haven't fully taken the screws off and removed the safety sticker for all patches yet but those impulse responses sure look interesting and the Virtual B3… woah! Finally René has decided to flex some muscle and show that sfz ain't just about which note goes where.

Anyway, I'm finally done with the massive undertaking (school production) that has kept me away from this place over the last six months so I'll be reporting my findings as they happen…

Enjoy the fresh sounds people! I look forward to pulling all this apart with anyone else who's curious about this latest installment to the sfz story…

P.S. — Chad Beckwith is one sick little boy.

9 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 20:55:13 (permalink)
    flex some muscle and show that sfz ain't just about which note goes where.
    ... and I quote: "(crank very slowly! unless you want your CPU to explode)". The .sfzs pop up with that weird character substitution and no breaks in WinXP/Notepad, Dale. I hate to say it, but I might have to switch over completely to UltraEdit32. It's starting to get Twisted ...
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 20:59:55 (permalink)
    P.S. — Chad Beckwith is one sick little boy.
    Now, now-don't be bad mouthing My bud Chad .

I bet you knew I be wanting to get soakin wet, Last one into the pool is a rotten egg

Impulse response? Oh man how'd you know. I started doing the waveguide=on thing and was blown away. But I am confused. I want more info on this but don't know how to get a response form the guys in the know. See I'm not sure from the text file I have the Rene put out what going on here. I'm not saying he was intentionally vague But When it comes to geek speak I need a little help. That's how I ended up being the major pest. I'm all gime/gime/gime and they are hold on and let us get the bugs worked out.

I opened one of Chads sfz's took one look/gulped/frequed/and closed it before melt down. The experience did let me have a peak at the major possibilities here. And I just knew my purchase of Dpro and Rapture was the best decision I ever made/ That and the experiments I've already done

See I think the waveguide=on thing allows you to designate an impulse response for all/part of your <region>'s where by the impulse itself imparts characteristics but is not heard? If that is the case how? On my experiments I get solid changes in the sound if I specify it but I'm thinking the wave file is acting on itself? I want to act on other sounds. Like a true impulse response with say acoustic mirror. Or the S 5 plugin?

I know quit asking questions, In due time. All will be known. I would have installed this but I'm changing to a new DAW. A new dual core AMD 4400+ with a DELTA 10/10 CARD. Hard core CPU to run these puppies.
    b rock
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 21:18:47 (permalink)
    On my experiments I get solid changes in the sound if I specify it but I'm thinking the wave file is acting on itself? I want to act on other sounds. Like a true impulse response with say acoustic mirror.
    Larry, I can't believe that I actually found some of this stuff right away.
    It's from back when we were all discussing the possibilities in Dimension-P5 (and we were all in on it. ).

Waveguide Synthesis
    -------------------------
    A waveguide is a bidirectional delay line, at some wave impedance. In easy terms, you can think of it as a complex resonator, where if you make some initial short or burst noise, the resonator will continue 'vibrating' for a while, with a natural decay. This synthesis method has been introduced in the early nineties as a fresh way to synthesize plucked attacks and plucked strings. A waveguide is the most common component used in Physical Modelling.

In this method, we give Dimension a sample to provide the initial noise burst, or 'impulse'. This impulse has nothing to do with room/hall impulse responses used in convolution processors, but using those as bursts result in interesting sounds. This is the sfz syntax to turn an element into a waveguide:

<region> sample=MySample.wav waveguide=on

Beware of the length of the impulse you use: it might end in DC, with no sound produced. This is a normal consequence on waveguide synthesis. If you're up to investigate, just take a look at the stock impulses in '20 - Waveguide'. If you're after a sample of how waveguides can sound, check the 'PM Clav' patch, a physical modelled Wonder-like clav sound.

Hope this brings some light.

-René

To make a waveguide, just cut a small wave file (to be used as the impulse), and then make an sfz file as follows:

<group>
    sample=impulse 4.wav
    waveguide=on

That will instruct Dimension to treat 'impulse 4.wav' as the burst to drop into the waveguide. You can take a look at the sfz and wave files in the \Multisamples\20 - Waveguide folder as reference. ... It doesn't need to be 32-bit anymore (as in the z3ta+ early implementation). It can be 8 to 64 bit, mono or stereo, any samplerate ...

-René
    lawapa
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 22:01:35 (permalink)
    I had that first part but not the second. And that was most important. I just need the burst and not a whole file to activate the waveguide.

The waveguide itself is fixed and cannot be specified like an impulse. And to trigger it the burst is all I need. I got the burst part buy loading up the the Dpro waves in Rapture seperatly. Just a click. hmmmm? I then loaded up a home made wave file doing waveguide=on. That was weird But I did like it. So I did a few more, even better. I will have to revisit this.

I'm majorly dense on this. I just confuse impulse with something different.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 22:23:44 (permalink)
    weird character substitution and no breaks in WinXP/Notepad

Yeah, UltraEdit asks to convert those rogue .sfz files: I'm thinking the Twisted one is typing them up on his fruity laptop top and our Wintel's can't believe it's not DOS. And, B, if my UE wordfile wasn't in need of a pruning, I'd offer it to you. Got so many deprecated opcodes in there I'd be embarrassed to show…

Kudos to Chad for pushing the waveguide=on cause: a severely under utilised Expression Engine sound generator. It's a tangy flavour though and I reckon that the trick could be to layer those resonances with some traditional sample or wavetable content for a super complex timbre.

How 'bout those guitar amp & SM-57 impulses? Aynone wanna word me up on the place to start reading in order to roll my own (sfz specific) impulse files?
    b rock
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/16 22:45:06 (permalink)
    I'm thinking the Twisted one is typing them up on his fruity laptop top and our Wintel's can't believe it's not DOS.
    I didn't want to be the one to have to say that.
    the trick could be to layer those resonances with some traditional sample or wavetable content for a super complex timbre.
    I built something similar in hardware once: a resonator that was controlled as if it were a phaser/flanger.
    I'm thinking continuously variable control sources.
    Kudos to Chad for pushing the waveguide=on
    No kidding. With all that was there to explore, I was drawn to the Twisted Waveguides like a moth to an open flame.
    lawapa
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/07/18 14:20:58 (permalink)
    No kidding. With all that was there to explore, I was drawn to the Twisted Waveguides like a moth to an open flame.

Leave it to Chad to get the twist-ed out. He's a mad scientist type I do believe I did up my first group of Impluse files for the waveguide=on thing. Once I left the confusion behind (kept thinking back to convolution type stuff) And understood much better whats happening with the waveguide I was very surprised at the result. It is after all very cool.
    lawapa
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/08/05 19:19:05 (permalink)
    You da man Chad. I say warp speed to the next universe with cap'n Beckwith at the helm.
    b rock
    RE: XP1 Easter Eggs: for the sfz inclined 2006/08/13 09:15:09 (permalink)
    Bumped back from the dead: I found an informative link (several, really) which goes into technical detail on how waveguide synthesis is created in the digital domain.

It may be interesting to see how this information can be applied to the Expression Engine synths. Myself, I'll be outside, trying to translate Schumann Resonance to .sfz format. Edit: It's all your fault, Chad.

post edited by b rock - 2006/08/13 09:29:08
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1