X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5?

Author
MurderDethKill
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1904
2007/02/08 01:41:31 (permalink)

X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5?

Ok, I'll admit to being slow, but after using this in Sonar 6.2, I have to have it in P5 Ver. 2.5!!!

From Cakewalk.net
For our readers who haven't checked this feature out yet, X-Ray Windows can save a lot of time formerly spent moving plug-in windows around the screen, or minimizing and restoring them, when you need to access other parts of the SONAR screen obscured by one or more plug-ins. Instead, you simply hover your mouse over the plug-in window, hit a shortcut key (Shift-X by default), and the plug-in becomes mostly transparent. You can then tweak whatever is behind that plug-in, then, when you're done, you hover over the plug-in again, hit the same shortcut key, and you're back to being able to tweak the plug-in's settings.

I haven't been reading the blogs/myspace updates, so please forgive my ignorance, is this slated to be in the update?

Yes, I'm greedy...

Edit: The Link for the Cakewalk.net article is here, btw.
post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/02/08 02:07:31

My site i guess;)
Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!

18 Replies Related Threads

MurderDethKill
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 13:31:16 (permalink)
    Boy, this post died in a hurry...

My site i guess;)
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 13:44:39 (permalink)
    It's not popped up in any of the blogs, so unless it comes under the generalised 'UI enhancements' that have been mentioned, then you are out of luck...
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 14:21:14 (permalink)
    You can have xray functionality now if you use Glass2K. Read the help document for the short cuts for traparency levels. I love using it with Sonar 5.2 and P5v2.

http://chime.tv/products/glass2k.shtml

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 15:15:08 (permalink)
    Thank you, Jesse.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 17:57:59 (permalink)
    my hope is they will sneak it in along with custom color schemes like Sonar has
    MurderDethKill
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/08 18:25:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jesse G

You can have xray functionality now if you use Glass2K. Read the help document for the short cuts for traparency levels. I love using it with Sonar 5.2 and P5v2.

It is nice, but can you make a synth transparent and work on a track or something underneath, like in Sonar?

My site i guess;)
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/13 16:06:04 (permalink)
    Yes you can, it is similar to the Sonar X-ray. The company hasn't updated the application for a while So I would eve go to say that it has been purchased and the version o nthe website was thet last free version. Heck. Sonar's X=Ray may been the lates verserion of Glass2K

Go ahead and play with it and see if you like it. If not, you can always uninstall it. I like using it and I can use in on individual windows too.

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    brzilian
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 788
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 12:37:52 (permalink)
    Who cares about this X-Ray functionality?

ATI and nVidia drivers have been able to do that for years...

That alone is not reason enough to move to Vista especially when everyone is reporting that if you run XP and Vista on the same machine, XP will run faster and eat up less resources.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 12:49:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: brzilian

Who cares about this X-Ray functionality?

ATI and nVidia drivers have been able to do that for years...

That alone is not reason enough to move to Vista especially when everyone is reporting that if you run XP and Vista on the same machine, XP will run faster and eat up less resources.

Hmm, Ithink you may have jumped in on this conversation a little quickly brzillian

This is a conversation about the Sonar 6.2 X-Ray function , that allows you to make everything transparent, temporarily so that you can go straight for the mixer page etc , while still keeping a plug in , or multiple plug in windows open. So in Project5 (if it were implemented) you could have Dimension Pro (which takes up a good deal of screen real estate), press a key combination and you can now use your mouse through the plug in and straight on the track panes/arrange page.

It had nothing to do with Vista. As to the aero interface taking up more resourses and running faster, I found the opposite to be true. 1 GB RAM and a X1650 Pro Graphics card and it ran smoother than XP. Probably because the graphic work was now hoisted onto the graphics card and reduced the CPU workload. I found that identical projects in both P5 and Sonar worked within a few percent of each other in both operating systems.

I had a few compatibility issues (non-hardware) with mastering software I use, so Ive left it at XP for the time being. However if it were not for that (and another issue that is unrelated to op systems) I would be using Vista right now instead of XP.

If waveRT drivers ever materialise for the EMU 0404 or the Firewire Solo Ill probably switch very quickly. Running an onboard sound card that previously had stutters in XP at 10 ms latency at 3 ms latency in Vista with none is quite a bit of a difference. P5 2.5 has not been listed as being able to use waveRT drivers yet, currently its only Sonar 6.2 and Vista itself that can utilise them.

Back to the original topic, I dont think X-Ray will make it to P5 2.5 , it will be brilliant if it does. Im tempted to try out Glass2k to see if it performs similarly. Thanks for mentioning it.

MurderDethKill
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 13:14:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Stu & Jesse.

My site i guess;)
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 13:15:32 (permalink)
    Oh I hope not !!!

It's way down my list of thigs I'd like. Not used it a lot in Sonar either (although I understand some people swear by it).

Of course, I've got three monitors which may make a difference.

Andy
    MurderDethKill
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 13:21:00 (permalink)
    From what I read the implementation shouldn't be that
    difficult, and it would enable single monitor users to get more done.

That being said, I love using it on a dual monitor as well .

3 monitors? I'm jealous!

My site i guess;)
    Andy C
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1272
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 16:58:25 (permalink)
    3 monitors? I'm jealous

The price of LCD monitors now, you just have to resist buying one plugin and bobs your uncle...

Andy
    EarthBound
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 444
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 19:58:03 (permalink)
    I have three 21" old black CRT Flat Screens all connected and look'n sweet.....it makes my work center look like NORAD.....I get inspired just walking into the room....I'm such a geek
    post edited by EarthBound - 2007/02/14 20:19:42

My Music...over 20 songs now! 

Built by me PC- unclocked I7/liquid cooled/16G-RAM (with potential of 32G)/2TB-ROM/MIAMIDI-sc/killer 1G gc/V5 case/1000w/Blue Fans everywhere/6G-SATA connections/its pretty
    brzilian
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 788
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 21:40:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: syrath

Hmm, Ithink you may have jumped in on this conversation a little quickly brzillian

This is a conversation about the Sonar 6.2 X-Ray function , that allows you to make everything transparent, temporarily so that you can go straight for the mixer page etc , while still keeping a plug in , or multiple plug in windows open. So in Project5 (if it were implemented) you could have Dimension Pro (which takes up a good deal of screen real estate), press a key combination and you can now use your mouse through the plug in and straight on the track panes/arrange page.

It had nothing to do with Vista. As to the aero interface taking up more resourses and running faster, I found the opposite to be true. 1 GB RAM and a X1650 Pro Graphics card and it ran smoother than XP. Probably because the graphic work was now hoisted onto the graphics card and reduced the CPU workload. I found that identical projects in both P5 and Sonar worked within a few percent of each other in both operating systems.

I had a few compatibility issues (non-hardware) with mastering software I use, so Ive left it at XP for the time being. However if it were not for that (and another issue that is unrelated to op systems) I would be using Vista right now instead of XP.

If waveRT drivers ever materialise for the EMU 0404 or the Firewire Solo Ill probably switch very quickly. Running an onboard sound card that previously had stutters in XP at 10 ms latency at 3 ms latency in Vista with none is quite a bit of a difference. P5 2.5 has not been listed as being able to use waveRT drivers yet, currently its only Sonar 6.2 and Vista itself that can utilise them.

Back to the original topic, I dont think X-Ray will make it to P5 2.5 , it will be brilliant if it does. Im tempted to try out Glass2k to see if it performs similarly. Thanks for mentioning it.

My inderstanding is that the X-Ray feature is only available if you are using Vista. Like I said, nVidia already implemented that feature into is graphics drivers for both XP and 2000 several years ago. I was simply pointing out that that is a feature video card driver manufacturers have already impleemented.

Please refer to page 188 of the nVidia Forceware User Guide:

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/Quadro_Certified/91.36/91.36_Forceware_nView_Users_Guide.pdf

Select the Make Windows Transparent When Dragged check box to enable window
    transparency when windows are dragged. Windows become transparent as you hold
    down the mouse option while on the window’s title bar, allowing you to quickly see
    what is underneath the window. When you release the mouse option, the window
    becomes opaque.

Also, several sites including Tomshardware.com have reported minimal speed increases when moving to Vista on multiple CPU/core systems only. Single Core systems experienced a significant decrease in overall performance in Vista.

This would exclude older P4s and Athlon-64 which are still quite capable of running XP and P5 (I happen to use a Gateway laptop with an Athlon-64 processor).

post edited by brzilian - 2007/02/14 22:07:03
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/14 21:59:17 (permalink)

My inderstanding is that the X-Ray feature is only available if you are using Vista.

Nope...it works perfectly on XP.
    kaylen
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/15 00:49:29 (permalink)
    I've used the Xray in sonar and did find it nice,I'd be all for having it in P5 .There was some threads over there discussing it and some think its a gimmickor such but I found it very conviniant.

Music is as useless and unimportant as life itself
    Kaylen, 
    Win 7 Home pr,  6GB DDR3,  intel2120
    X2P, 
    Battery 4,   BFD2,    BFD Eco,   EZdrmr 
    Finale 2012

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: X-ray Windows For P5 Ver. 2.5? 2007/02/15 02:24:38 (permalink)

My inderstanding is that the X-Ray feature is only available if you are using Vista. Like I said, nVidia already implemented that feature into is graphics drivers for both XP and 2000 several years ago. I was simply pointing out that that is a feature video card driver manufacturers have already impleemented.

Yes as was mentioned X-Ray is not vista dependant, so vista has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

For the record my own findings about vista were based on a Dual 2 Core E6300.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1