YO Computer builders: JIM, ADK,... best quality sata cable for audio: does it matter?

Author
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
2010/10/28 13:18:24 (permalink)

YO Computer builders: JIM, ADK,... best quality sata cable for audio: does it matter?

I am tired of the sata cables coming loose. So gonna get some with latches. Newegg has a bunch of kinds including one for about 3 times the cost of the 'tothers.  Indicates better shielding,...
Does any of this matter?

What cables are you guys using?

Thoughts?

J
post edited by jm24 - 2010/10/30 09:51:45

3 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:YO Computer builders: JIM, ADK,... best quality sata cable for audio: does it matter? 2010/11/01 08:47:36 (permalink)
    unlike audio i cant see them being any different.
    when we have to buy extra sata cables (rare but with large video builds it can happen)
    we just buy what ever is less that has the locking cable. or sometimes we need the angled.

back when Sata first came out we did have to buy a lot of them as the included were not "locking"
    pretty sure we buy Startech.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:YO Computer builders: JIM, ADK,... best quality sata cable for audio: does it matter? 2010/11/01 09:55:54 (permalink)
    Thank you for your response

I have tried a number of cables. For at least one disk all the cables are loose. Move the cable slightly and the disk is lost on boot.

This means the inside of the cable is also loose.
    Lots of people were having such a problem, hence the latches. But just adding a latch does not mean the internal size has been adjusted to provide best electrical contact.

I read this post: (http://www.techtalkz.com/hardware/478783-high-quality-sata-ii-cables.html)

"""""
    Recently tested about 30 or so different cables from about 8 different suppliers.
    Tested signal, emi, reliability & price.
    An intel stock part by Molex came out on top - Molex Part Number 0733 Intel Part Number C95764-001.
    We buy them in 20k qtys,

""""
    So, I bees wanting to find something that stays put, and works correctly.

JM
    fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:YO Computer builders: JIM, ADK,... best quality sata cable for audio: does it matter? 2010/11/03 19:39:49 (permalink)
    Aside from a latch, you want to make sure that the plastic part of the SATA connector isn't flimsy.  When the plastic is flimsy, it heats up over time and expands, causing the electrical contacts to separate between the drive and the cable.

If you can't get the ones jm24 recommends, then check the plastic part to make sure it has a very little amount of flexibility.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1