Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M

Author
rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
2010/09/30 13:18:04 (permalink)

Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M

Hi,

I have been using Yamaha MSP5 monitors for about two years and I am very happy with its sound and how my mixes translate on other speakers. However this pair was just borrowed from my friend and he wants them back now.

So I have to decide what monitors to buy. I am willing to spend no more than 500 EUR.

What do you think, should I buy MSP5s as I am used to how they sound or should I give HS80M a try?
Or do you have any better recommendation? 

Thanks

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud

12 Replies Related Threads

LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/04 10:25:44 (permalink)
    I don't know about the 5's, but I'll say this: A friend of mine just got rid of his VERY expensive B&W monitors and Bryston amp in favour of a pair of HS80s with HS10 sub. He has excellent ears, so I reckon it should tell you something about the Yammi's. I'm about to get a set too "O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

rainmaker1011
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/04 16:34:51 (permalink)
    thanks Ludwig for chiming in.

I ordered MSP5s from Thomann a few hours ago. I think, that for my room, smaller monitors are more suitable, cos bigger speakers mean more lows and more lows in practically untreated room means more problems :) My humble analogy :D

I read some reviews saying that MSP5s are approaching to the old NS10s in terms of how they sound. That one has to "learn" how to mix on them, because of their specific sound, mainly in highs and mids. Well, I have been mixing on them for one year or so, so I am used to that sound. I am not saying I have learned how to mix, though :)

post edited by rainmaker1011 - 2010/10/04 16:38:31

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/04 17:02:22 (permalink)
    That's good to know that when my 22 year old NSM 10's finally die I can find a similar replacement.
    I don't know what I'd do without them. It would be hard to go shopping for something else.
    Apparently the story on them was Yamaha was producing its "Natural Sound" home stereo systems and these where the speakers that were part of that series hence the "NS" designation.
    Stereo Buffs found them boring because of the lack of BIG BASS found in most home speaker systems of the day. But I guess studio engineers found if you could make a mix sound good on them the same mix transferred over to the real world 98% of the time too. And they were relatively cheap compaired to real studio monitors. Almost every picture you'd see of a major studio used to have them on the meter bridge, don't see that much anymore. I guess the powered monitors with digital connectors have taken over.
    You do get used to the sound and I find I'm am usually bang on the first time around with a mix. Don't be deceived by the lack of bottom in the mix, it's there. I now use a sub with them as well but don't usually turn it on until final mixdown.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 00:26:36 (permalink)
    I know a couple of big studios that use the MSP5s for their near field monitoring.  They work well.  You won't get as much bass on them as the HS 80s, but there you go.  They were selling the MSP7s for not that much more here in the states a few months back.  Don't know if such a deal is still around, but it would be worth spending a few more bucks (or pounds) for when you move into a bigger room.  I'm still using 30 year old Yamis here at home - big brothers to the NS 10s.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 02:17:59 (permalink)
    Marek - FWIW, I agree with you purchasing the MSP-5 monitors since you already have experience with them. I've been happy with mine. 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    LJB
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1502
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 06:22:33 (permalink)
    I just heard from Yamaha - the HS80s are so popular, there's an 8 week wait! But I do know some big boys that also the 5s, so good choice, I'm sure. Enjoy!

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
    --------------------
    Cakewalk
    with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

rainmaker1011
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 09:49:09 (permalink)
    Thank you guys.

This was exactly mine analogy, AT. Bigger room would need bigger monitors, but 5s are just good for my bedroom.

I was thinking about MSP7s but they cost twice the price of 5s... Not the way to go for me at this time...

I must say here, but maybe I will start another topic on this, that Thomann.de made me very angry. The total price of the order said 470 EUR when I pressed the Pay with Paypal button. Also on the PayPal page, 470 EUR was the sum to be charged from my credit card. OK. But today, I received a text message from my bank saying a debit of 510 EUR had been withdrawn from my bank account. WTF? I looked to My Orders menu at Thomann.de and the order price was 510 EUR!! Over-night rise by 40 EUR. How could they do this?? I am sure this is against EU regulations of fair trade and Internet shopping...

I am not going to leave this alone.

So be aware when ordering something from Thomann.de !!

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 11:05:39 (permalink)
    Marek,

That is strange.  I find a nice if confused and disappointed letter, call or email gets best results.  Let them explain, if they can.  Then firmly state that you were originally charged, tho I would keep the tone light, as if you can't believe they haven't made an honest mistake.  If that still doesn't clear things up and you can't speak to someone higher on the food chain to resolve the situation, then explain how put upon you feel and that you will be contacting the President of the company.  That threat is usually enough to get the underlings to blink.  If not, write the president/CEO or whomever (check the name before you make the threat).  Explain in the contact how you were treated and you've already started complaining on the internet about his company's service and causually mention the music boards you frequent (even if you don't).

Most of all don't get angry (or at least show it).  Be courtious, fair and give them every oppurtunity to do right.  Most will.  It is just amazing how just about everyone will nickel or dime you to death if you don't kick up a fuss.  I spent 3 hours over 6 months getting a satellite bill fixed - they would say it was and next month the same charges would appear.  They just hope to wear you down.

Also, tell someone fixing your problem you'll write a nice email about how they personally fixed your problem.  And do it, just like the letter to the President.  It doesn't help you, but the next person along.  We got to stick together.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 11:27:55 (permalink)
    AT

Marek,

That is strange.  I find a nice if confused and disappointed letter, call or email gets best results.  Let them explain, if they can.  Then firmly state that you were originally charged, tho I would keep the tone light, as if you can't believe they haven't made an honest mistake.  If that still doesn't clear things up and you can't speak to someone higher on the food chain to resolve the situation, then explain how put upon you feel and that you will be contacting the President of the company.  That threat is usually enough to get the underlings to blink.  If not, write the president/CEO or whomever (check the name before you make the threat).  Explain in the contact how you were treated and you've already started complaining on the internet about his company's service and causually mention the music boards you frequent (even if you don't).

Most of all don't get angry (or at least show it).  Be courtious, fair and give them every oppurtunity to do right.  Most will.  It is just amazing how just about everyone will nickel or dime you to death if you don't kick up a fuss.  I spent 3 hours over 6 months getting a satellite bill fixed - they would say it was and next month the same charges would appear.  They just hope to wear you down.

Also, tell someone fixing your problem you'll write a nice email about how they personally fixed your problem.  And do it, just like the letter to the President.  It doesn't help you, but the next person along.  We got to stick together.

Great Advice!!!!!!

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 12:59:25 (permalink)
    AT

Marek,

Actually, I wrote them an email at 13:13 CET but haven't received any answer yet. They have working hours till 18:30 CET. I reported the problem there and asked them to explain their position. Few minutes ago, I sent them another email, copies to marketing, accounting and international department, asking them to refund me 40 EUR or cancel the order and refund me 510 EUR.

I wish it were just a mistake. But a few months ago, I ordered Presonus headphones distribution HP4 from Thomann.de and the same thing happened, except they did not charge the higher sum. But the price on the order page and the price in the invoice were not the same... Maybe they have a bug in their order-processing system, but honestly, as a customer I do not care. 

But I think even PayPal has its share of fault. I approved to pay Musikhaus Thomann 470 EUR, not 510 EUR. How can they claim to be safer way to pay on the Internet when the merchant can bill a higher sum of money than you have approved? I am also in communication with PayPal regarding this.

Maybe someone can say, oh well it is only 40 EUR difference. But this is about principle in he first place.

I will let you informed how it goes. But I definitely will not buy anything from Thomann in the future.

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/05 16:43:00 (permalink)
    I find this video pretty funny and useful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzO85fSbd_g

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    rainmaker1011
    Re:Yamaha MSP5 vs HS80M 2010/10/07 06:59:48 (permalink)
    Well, thoman is going to organize a refund for me.

Their explanation of adding additional costs can be read via the link below. There is a copy of the email I received from them.

http://thomann.jamadza.com/

Be aware that according to EU Directive 98/6/EC and 97/7/EC - Article 4, paragraph 1, seller has to inform buyer about the total price including taxes and shipping cost before the order is confirmed.
    Thomann fails to do this. They show you the lowest price on the order page, accept the payment and then charge your credit card with the higher price and then send you the invoice with the higher prices. Very unfair and against the law. Well, maybe other customers are happy with this, but when DV24 or other e-shops can manage this, why not Thomann??.

Ok, I am waiting for my money and then going to place an order at DV24.com Do you have any bad experience with Digital Village? 

Thanks

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1