Yamaha MW10C & Sonar?

Author
mrmaton01
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2008/09/18 07:15:57 (permalink)

Yamaha MW10C & Sonar?

Hi, I'm new to the software/mixing department and was curious if people could make a suggestion for me. My favorite DAW is Sonar and I want to stick with it (after many hours learning how things work), but a not so close freind sold me his old Yamaha MW10C (USB Audio Interface) and said it would work with Sonar even though it came bundled with Cubase AI4. Well, I installed it and found it didn't have a dedicated ASIO driver, so I couldn't choose ASIO in Sonars Audio options without loosing everything from the list... Then to make things worse, after I installed the AI4, my Sonar turned to snap, crackle and pop during playback.... I have no clue what happened but something is now WAY OUT... Sync? or something.....

Does anyone have any experience with one of these units? and got it working with Sonar?

I've seen some advertisements for it listing it as not needing drivers, but now I think it's just some ploy by Yamaha/Cubase to try and grab software/hardware market share based on the bundle contents...(ie. sells very cheap for an entry level Audio Interface and includes software to mix on).

I've only been at it for one and a half days, but I'm thinking I'll pass this thing on to eBay ASAP........Hopefully some Cubase lover will pick it up.....
As for me though, any suggestions for an Audio Interface that supports USB/Phantom Power and around the entry level price range??

Thanks for any info.....

8 Replies Related Threads

muso_price
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/18 09:09:43 (permalink)
    It should work with SONAR.

Check the website for the drivers although most gear now boasts plug and play compatibility they nearly always require the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

HTH

mrmaton01
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/18 09:46:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for that muso.......

However I fear there is some kind of version numbering problem, the one you linked to above is the original as far as I can tell, yet yamahasynth.com lists the original as v1.0.2 (Dec 2006) and another one called v1.0.0 that was released August 2008.

I still can't get SONAR to playback audio using the USB Audio Device driver (which is only WDM/KS), my generic Soundblaster card plays back fine with the Mixing Latency Buffer Size at 40msec, but the USB Audio Device still pops and crackles at as high as 185.8msec, then if I move the slider further right to 278.6msec the Audio Engine doesn't respond at all.

It's really annoying cause the unit itself (Yam MW10C) is not bad for the price, it's just not flexible outside the bundled Cubase.... Well, in my experience anyway...
    muso_price
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/18 10:04:55 (permalink)
    I have a Tascam US-428, there is a known problem with this when using VIA chipsets. The fix is to install a PCI USB card with an Intel chipset. This is what I had to do, prior to doing this I had the pops and crackles you are experiencing, I wonder if your Yamaha MW10C has the same problems with VIA chipsets.

What is your PC spec?

There's also ASIO4ALL
    post edited by muso_price - 2008/09/18 10:08:12

mrmaton01
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/18 10:28:31 (permalink)
    I installed that 2008 driver and I was able to increase the Buffer size up to 278.6 and it played, it almost got rid of the popping too, but still not acceptable. :(

I'm a little ancient here - P4 3.0Gig, 2Gig RAM on XP Pro, it just amazes me the product comes out of the box working fine with Cubase, but nothing else.... well, on my system anyways.... I think that's a bit rude. And it's an Audio interface, without a dedicated ASIO driver...... I knew I should have done more research.....
    muso_price
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/18 11:30:58 (permalink)
    P4 rules out the VIA chipset problem, I don't think Intel uses VIA chipsets.

Try posting over at the SONAR forum, just post a link to this thread, some people get narking if you post the same question in more than one forum.

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/19 05:36:32 (permalink)
    you say it doesn't have an asio driver? but it does

http://europe.yamaha.com/downloads/en_WW/proaudio/mixers/mw10/

is the driver for it? if you see the manual-pdf for the file it installs some "KS driver" or something..

have you tried reinstalling the driver now after sonar's installed?

if the playback is so high, sounds like either

1) the driver isn't findable
    2) sonar isn't in asio mode
    3) are you sure you have unticked any onboard card on audio section of sonar.. you mention u have 2 cards.. sounds like it's defaulted to your SB.. untick that, then you should be able to tick /access this yamaha thing. then select asio mode for it

mrmaton01
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/19 09:15:05 (permalink)
    Well, thanks for making me take a second look at the drivers again, I went back to the site Muso listed earlier and tried the 1.0.2 driver. At first I didn't grab this driver because it was 15+ months older than the USB Audio Device driver and I thought the newer one would have been the better one....

I was Wrong! After installing the 1.0.2 ASIO DirectKS driver from Muso's link, I saw it appear under ASIO devices. Now I'm hearing multi-track audio playback at 11-16ms latency without a single snap, crackle, or pop!!!!!

Thanks guys for your help and references, you've brought my premature balding to a grinding halt!!

Can't thank you enough.
    Cheers.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Yamaha MW10C & Sonar? 2008/09/21 12:14:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mrmaton01

Thanks guys for your help and references, you've brought my premature balding to a grinding halt!!

Can't thank you enough.
    Cheers.

alas it was too late for me..hehe.. even without the headaches that are technology at times.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1