Yamaha N8, N12, or Tascam FW 1082

Author
Steve369
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2009/10/29 09:34:58 (permalink)

Yamaha N8, N12, or Tascam FW 1082

Hello Fellow Music Rascals.

I hope you guys/gals are making lots of music with your XS, I've been working on it.  I hope to share something new from the press soon.  In the process of composing and producing the songs from my current project, I have run into a new "snag:"
Last spring I packed my mobile gear: Dell Inspirium 6000, Mbox, and Yamaha PSR 680 and headed on a plane to South East Asia.  I hired a choir to perform and record several pieces that I have composed (yes I included my XS on this project, but didn't take it with me on the plane).  Anyway as you probably already guest, I had a heck of a time trying to record with only two channels via the Mbox and Cubase 4; nevertheless I made it work and overall the recording went well.

In December I plan to head further south to a remote location to work with some muscians that are hard to find.  I thought I'd save myself a bit of hassle this time, by buying a unit that was somewhat light, but at the same time able to produce a clean 24 bit recording on at least 4+ tracks at once, AND I could setup a GOOD monitor MIX for the performing musicians to hear what they needed to hear.

Recently I almost ordered the, Yamaha N8 until I learned that the MONITOR Mix capabilities were kind of WEAK, I also looked at the FW 1082 and it has a similar problem EXCEPT it has SPIDF so I can connected a digital output to the Mbox and get another set of outputs via the Cubase Control room.  The last option and the most heavy and space take-up-idea includes the Yamaha N12.  I'm assuming like the FW-1884 I can manipulate the surround output via the Cubase control room and get all the MONITOR Mix options I need.

YES, I realize that these are recording mixers and not live mixers, nevertheless the MANUFACTURES in my opinion should have KNOWN that the PERFORMING Musician rather in concert or in the studio would like his/her monitor mix tailored to their desires.

Anyway, please dig in fellow Rascals and tell me your honest opinion.  I am short on time so I need to hurry up and order my gear so that it will be ready for my trip in December 2009.  This will mainly be used for mobile recordings.  On this trip I will be working with: classical strings, solo vocalist, and choirs of 25 or more voices.  I think I'll try to also get by with my old Korg M1 given it uses a smaller case.  Keep in mind, that I need to stay on the light side other-wise the airlines will make a huge profit on my baggage.

Finally...I'm thinking of selling my Dell and either buying a new laptop, building a Mini PC, or buying the new Apple Mini that includes that new Leopard software. (Let me know what you think about this as well.
Thanks.
Steve

post edited by Steve369 - 2009/10/29 09:36:52

1 Reply Related Threads

Steve369
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Yamaha N8, N12, or Tascam FW 1082 2010/02/01 15:04:38 (permalink)
    Well, I know it sounds crazy, but I have both the Tascam FW 1082 and the Yamaha N8.  What happened is that I ordered the N8 first.  I needed it for a recording gig in December, but Musician Friend deceived me saying they would send it USPS Priority Mail, but sent it Parcel Post so I panicked and ordered the FW-1082 from American Musical Supply, which was prompt at sending it via USPS Priority as I requested.

So for this recently session I used the FW-1082 and everything worked great except I had to bring more gear than I would have if I used the N8.  The N8 apparently has great mic preamps and an on board compressor.

So far though I have not opened the box for the N8 and I'm in debate on rather to send it back to MF for a refund given they were late sending it, yet I feel like I could really use this gear.  Does anyone here have any feedback on these two pieces of gear yet: Tascam FW-1082 and Yamaha N8?

Steve
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1