Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar

Author
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
2016/07/04 20:47:49 (permalink)

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar

Has anybody used the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver with Sonar. My new Yamaha Montage is a great sounding synth but you have to use their driver to make the Montage the Audio interface to take advantage of the multiple parts/MIDI channels, and when you're done using the Montage, you have switch to you regular Audio Interface. Seems like a pain. They made it less painful if you use Cubase. (I wonder why....)

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music

12 Replies Related Threads

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/04 22:45:15 (permalink)
    I don't have a montage, but from the product description, the USB connection appears to be a convenience, and it carries both audio and midi. They claim it's USB class compliant, so you shouldn't need any drivers at all.

As far as multiple parts, not sure what you're getting at, unless it's like traditional Yamaha romplers where you can assign (1 or more) 'parts' to a midi channel, which lets you have more than one voice to a channel. The only way to do the assignments was from the front panel, sysx,  or a custom editor. It might be the Steinberg driver does some extra proprietary stuff above and beyond the normal class compliance.

The alternative is a midi interface, midi cables, an audio interface, audio cables and so on.
    post edited by SuperG - 2016/07/04 23:10:51

laudem Deo
    LaszloZoltan
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/04 23:26:25 (permalink)
    I'm using it- with the ag06 mixing console- no issues 
    WallyG
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 17:16:44 (permalink)
    SuperG
    I don't have a montage, but from the product description, the USB connection appears to be a convenience, and it carries both audio and midi. They claim it's USB class compliant, so you shouldn't need any drivers at all.

From the Yamaha site:

"In order to use the Montage's 32 audio bus outputs you wil need the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for your computer type and operating system. This is a special low latency ASIO driver that will handle both MIDI and audio communication. You can use your favorite DAW...."

SuperGAs far as multiple parts, not sure what you're getting at, unless it's like traditional Yamaha romplers where you can assign (1 or more) 'parts' to a midi channel, which lets you have more than one voice to a channel. The only way to do the assignments was from the front panel, sysx,  or a custom editor. It might be the Steinberg driver does some extra proprietary stuff above and beyond the normal class compliance.... 

Once again from the Yamaha site:
    "The Montage is capable OS streaming 32 Audio bus outputs to your computer when you are using the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver v1.9.9. ...

...To be clear, it is not the track that has the output assignment, it's actually more flexible than that... It is the PART that has the OUTPUT assignment. Each of Montage's 16 synth Parts plus the AD Input Part can be routed to any of the 32 audio bus outputs. They are configured as Main L&R, plus 30 assignable outputs. The 30 assignable outputs can be configured as odd/even stereo pairs (USB1/2, USB3/4, USB5/6.... USB29/30) or an assignable can be set as a single individual output (USB1, USB2, USB3... USB30), as necessary to accomplish your audio recording requirements...
    ...So on a Windows PC you will need to switch to using the Montage as your audio interface. Fortunately, Cubase and Montage support "hot swapping" of ASIO drivers, which means you will not have to power down, nor will you have to reboot Cubase to switch drivers."
    -------------------------------------------
    So basically if you want the 32 Audio Channels you have to use the Montage as the audio interface and if your using Sonar you have to shut down the computer and switch back (change cables, etc) to your normal audio interface when your down recording the Montage and restart the computer. Cubase users don't have to do this as Yamaha takes care of it's own.

This is a big pain. It also has this big "Super Knob" (I assume no relation! :-), that allows you to morph between different sounds while your playing. I am looking at workarounds since I don't think it's worth it to have to change the set up everytime you want to use the Montage.

I love sounds. The Piano sound blows away any of my Roland Synths and Kontakt Softsynths I have. Sorry for the long post.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    WallyG
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 17:18:16 (permalink)
    LaszloZoltan
    I'm using it- with the ag06 mixing console- no issues 

Thanks! See my answer to SuperG.

Walt

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 17:31:25 (permalink)
    WallyG
    So basically if you want the 32 Audio Channels you have to use the Montage as the audio interface and if your using Sonar you have to shut down the computer and switch back (change cables, etc) to your normal audio interface when your down recording the Montage and restart the computer. Cubase users don't have to do this as Yamaha takes care of it's own.

Must be something special about the driver, usually SONAR would not need to be shutdown to swap interfaces using ASIO drivers. All that should be necessary is deselecting both input and output audio interface settings in Preferences to select another interface.
    WallyG
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 18:44:36 (permalink)
    scook
    WallyG

Must be something special about the driver, usually SONAR would not need to be shutdown to swap interfaces using ASIO drivers. All that should be necessary is deselecting both input and output audio interface settings in Preferences to select another interface.

scook, Thanks. I'm going to try that and report back. Right now though I'm fighting with a PC controlled irrigation system. Damn electronics! Oh wait a minute, electronics is how I earned a living... 

Walt

Thedoccal
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 19:22:39 (permalink)
    I tried that driver and USB hookup to Sonar with my MOX6.  I did not like it at all, so I just use midi cables now and I like that much better.  There is a downside of course: no individual audio tracks in Sonar...but I have individual midi tracks which I can then make audio tracks out of.  The USB driver required some special kind of setup in sonar as well as making that output change in the MOX.  Way too involved for me, unfortunately.  but if you do get it working, and end up liking it, I may revisit it again...

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
    The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
    Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
    WallyG
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 20:48:49 (permalink)
    Thedoccal
    I tried that driver and USB hookup to Sonar with my MOX6.  I did not like it at all, so I just use midi cables now and I like that much better.  There is a downside of course: no individual audio tracks in Sonar...but I have individual midi tracks which I can then make audio tracks out of.  The USB driver required some special kind of setup in sonar as well as making that output change in the MOX.  Way too involved for me, unfortunately.  but if you do get it working, and end up liking it, I may revisit it again...

Thedoccal, I figured out how to set up multi channels with the Montage (there's only 500+ pages of manual, reference, data, etc) and was able to play the keyboard and input MIDI to 8 seperate MIDI tracks, one for each part. Works just fine. I don't need no stinken Steinberg driver! 32 audio channels...I want this because? It all comes out stereo for me and I can tweak each audio track if needed with EQ, etc.

Now for the SUPER KNOB or Yamaha Marketing Dept's holy grail. This modifies several parameters at the same time. i.e. Morph from one sound to another. Since you can control the "Super Duper Knob" with a foot pedal, just like a foot pedal volume control, all I need is a single channel MIDI CC to Voltage Converter. The foot pedal just outputs a ratiometrically derived CV.  (It's a pot.  )

I just need to find a converter that will work...Maybe I'll post this requirement on the forum. 

Thanks for your help.

Walt

SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/05 20:57:55 (permalink)

I get it, 16 parts, 16 midi channels, 16 stereo audio channels. It's 32 if interpreted as mono, albeit mono channels being a rather less-used, unusual notion USB-wise. Just a little confusion on my part, my mental distinction between midi parts and audio channels.

I can't comment on running multiple ASIO interfaces simultaneously in Sonar. Anybody know anything about that? Is it even possible?

You should be able to hot-plug USB though, no need to shut down the computer. Sonar will complain about ports disappearing, but that's normal.

laudem Deo
    maltastudio
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/06 01:45:12 (permalink)
    I`ve been using it for the past 4 years on a Yamaha digital mixer 01V96i,and I even used it lately with a small stienberg soundcard,the latency is excellent ,it works perfect with Sonar and Pro Tools.
    Yamaha uses the same usb audio driver for all their hardware so they can keep improving it by concentrating their resources on one driver ,I guess.
    One small issue ,every once in a while it hangs,you have to switch of the hardware and back on but it does not happen very often.
    Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
    Sonar Platinum Latest 64Bit  
    Pro Tools 12.. Latest
    Motu 624 AVB , Yamaha 01v96i
    www.maltastudio.com
    https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/07/06 11:22:02 (permalink)
    Yamaha because they are  Stienberg and Cubase put work into writing good drivers. I used the ASIO driver that came with our Yamaha mixer in WDM mode along side my Tascam us1641 without issues. Of course you can't use ASIO with 2 interfaces.  
    This was just straight multi track recording only. I don't trust WDM mode for overdubs. The loop back test shows tracks are recorded out of sync in WDM mode but not ASIO with the Tascam. 

But I also had no problem switching interfaces in ASIO. Best to restart Sonar but often it just asks me. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re: Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and Sonar 2016/09/11 01:09:52 (permalink)
    maltastudio
    I`ve been using it for the past 4 years on a Yamaha digital mixer 01V96i,and I even used it lately with a small stienberg soundcard,the latency is excellent ,it works perfect with Sonar and Pro Tools.
    Yamaha uses the same usb audio driver for all their hardware so they can keep improving it by concentrating their resources on one driver ,I guess.
    One small issue ,every once in a while it hangs,you have to switch of the hardware and back on but it does not happen very often.
    Peace

I have been using rhat driver for 2 days now with my 01v96i I am making progress, what i have learned is there are no designated outputs persay and it only list channels in odd numbers. I am curious as to how you are using the 01? I have had no sleep in last 2 days trying to figure this thing out, any suggestion on how to send audio to various outs? Example headphone mixes to a specific out? I really like the sound it produces, I would love to take advanatge of its compressor, gate and eq realtime, if you have any tricks that can help me I would geatly appreciate it

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1