Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u

Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
2008/02/08 10:17:17 (permalink)

Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u

Now, I know this isn't as exciting as Larry getting a new Larivee and a new Taylor, but it is what it is: I found a guitar at a yard sale. Due to my frequent online excursions, I know this is an Epiphone Les Paul Special, I picked it up for $80, it's about $170 new. It's a very low end guitar, but I've always wanted to get a cheapie and rebuild it. The instrument is eminently playable, with dual coil humbuckers, which I imagine are the cheapest generic brand possible.
I've been playing single coils for decades, but I'd like a meatier, more gutsy sound. What pickups might you people recommend for that purpose? I know Jessie and Frank and some others are more well versed in swapping out hardware, so let's hear it, y'all. Whaddya think?
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter

10 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 10:37:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mcourter

Now, I know this isn't as exciting as Larry getting a new Larivee and a new Taylor, but it is what it is: I found a guitar at a yard sale. Due to my frequent online excursions, I know this is an Epiphone Les Paul Special, I picked it up for $80, it's about $170 new. It's a very low end guitar, but I've always wanted to get a cheapie and rebuild it. The instrument is eminently playable, with dual coil humbuckers, which I imagine are the cheapest generic brand possible.
    I've been playing single coils for decades, but I'd like a meatier, more gutsy sound. What pickups might you people recommend for that purpose? I know Jessie and Frank and some others are more well versed in swapping out hardware, so let's hear it, y'all. Whaddya think?
    Mark

I woudn't worry about the neck pickup, just put one of these in the bridge position

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Dirty-Fingers-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=304667

Should be a monster.. at some point you might even put a switch on it so you can bypass the tone and vol circuit and have it go directly to the output jack.... wear a cup.
    post edited by ohhey - 2008/02/08 10:40:58
    mcourter
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 10:45:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link, Frank. This might be just what I'm looking for.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 10:55:07 (permalink)
    Mark,
    I bet you're going to turn that into a killer sounding beast! Many years ago, I used to buy cheapo electric guitars and rip out the guts, throw in better pots, stacked DiMarzio pic-ups, etc. I had some great tones when all was said and done. Plus if you screw it up, you haven't really lost anything. Brain May, EVH and others did the exact same thing!!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 11:00:02 (permalink)

Mark

The standard update is to throw a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck humbucker in the bridge position, and then throw a '59 reissue in the neck position. I did this to a Hondo a friend gave me, and that thing is a freaking MONSTER! Everyone who plays it is blown away by the tone.

Fricking plywood guitar... sounds HUGE.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    mcourter
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 12:30:39 (permalink)
    Larry n Corey: the guy I got it from suggested Di marzios, and a hotshot metalhead pal of my son recommended Seymour Duncans. But that's exactly why I wanted to try this: like Larry said, I can't go wrong, and if I do, so what? Try something else. What fun!
    M

Holy Toledo! I haven't looked at pickups in a couple of decades. I had no idea there were so bloody many. Now I can see a monster developing. I can pick up a series of cheap guitars and try different combinations of pickups. Slap some Tele pickups in my Gibson just for kicks.
    post edited by mcourter - 2008/02/08 13:16:22

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 13:11:22 (permalink)

Larry n Corey: the guy I got it from suggested Di marzios, and a hotshot metalhead pal of my son recommended Seymour Duncans. But that's exactly why I wanted to try this: like Larry said, I can't go wrong, and if I do, so what? Try something else. What fun!
    M

Yes, pickups can always be resold on e-bay or just keep them for another project. If you try more then one write down what you liked and didn't like about each one so you remember.
    mcourter
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 13:18:11 (permalink)
    Shoot, Frank, at my age I have to write stuff down or I'll forget it. Once I write it down I'll never have to look at what's written. I guess the act of writing it down makes it memorable............now I'm confused.
    M

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 19:32:37 (permalink)
    It's hard to point to one pickup or pair of pickups and arbitrarily say, "That's the right choice for this guitar." I've done a fair amount of pickup swapping, and not every combination is instant magic, nor is any one pickup always the best. When people recommend a pickup, guitar, etc., it usually doesn't mean that they've tried everything else and found them all to be inferior. Rather, it most likely means they've had a positive experience with it in one or two different situations. If a friend recommends pickup A and says that it "kills" everything else out there, it doesn't mean you're going to get unsatisfactory results with pickup B -- just that you're going to get different results. For the most part, pickups truly are different flavors of electric guitar tone, and there are a lot of ways to do it right. There's very little to be quantified in terms of better or worse, except in the important areas of matching the guitar and getting you closer to or further from the sound you're looking for.

That said, here are some meaty, gutsy-sounding pickups and the guitars in which I've liked them:

DiMarzio Breed (neck and bridge): Ibanez RG550 maple neck, Ibanez JEM7DBK. Everything from Van Halen to Slayer.
    EMG 85 (bridge): Ibanez RG270DX (Gluing the neck on this guitar made it sound meatier.)
    EMG 81 (neck and bridge): Kramer "Music-Yo" Baretta neck-through. It's all in how you play it. The 81 is the better neck pickup in set-neck or through-neck guitars.
    Gibson Burstbucker (Type 2 neck, Type 3 bridge): Epiphone Les Paul Custom Flametop. Complex, quacky, and biting, it's the real-deal old-school Les Paul sound.
    Gibson 496R Hot Ceramic (neck): Gibson Flying V Faded
    Gibson 500T Super Ceramic (bridge): Gibson Flying V Faded . Think early Metallica.
    Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck "JB" (bridge): Ibanez RG761 hard-tail 7-string, Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ Original Floyd Rose, Jackson SL2HT hard-tail
    Seymour Duncan '59 (neck): Jackson SL2HT hard-tail. Thick, smooth, and creamy.
    Seymour Duncan Jazz (neck): Ibanez RG761 hard-tail 7-string. Beautiful, articulate, yet full-sounding, with an open top end.

I've also enjoyed the DiMarzio Evolutions and the Seymour Duncan Full Shred (neck) and Duncan Custom (bridge) ceramic pickups, but I wouldn't call their sound "meaty" in the locking/floating trem guitars where I've used them. Compared with these, JB's have more of a sledgehammer bass, a sweet, slightly dark top end, and even, fluid mids.

Hope this helps,

Jessie
    post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/02/08 19:48:59
    DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    mcourter
    RE: Yard sale guitar: recommend p/u 2008/02/08 21:01:34 (permalink)
    Jessie, that reply is exactly the reason I asked you specifically. Concise with detailed information. Just what I was lookiing for. Thanks.
    M

Unbridled Enthusiasm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1