[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi

Author
malsip
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2011/01/03 23:27:26 (permalink)

[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi

OK, Google returns thousands of hits where Z3ta owners have pleaded for help converting the preloaded arp patterns OUT of their custom format and into MIDI.

The most common (and wrong) answer is to use a supplied binary utility that converts MIDI files into the custom format used in the Z3ta arps.  Wrong answer because it's going the wrong way.  We don't want to bring MIDI into the program as arps, we want to pull out some of the sweetest arps by exporting them to midi, where we can then make those "improvements" we're dying to make, before converting back for use in one of the free Z3ta slots.

I'm astounded that no clear answer can be found on how to do this.  A lot of computer programmers (like me) could easily write a utility if we were given a spec detailing the format used by Z3ta.  Is that info under lock and key at the Smithsonian or something?

13 Replies Related Threads

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/04 14:51:29 (permalink)
    I'd just like to able to reliably IMPORT midi files into Z3ta+ as advertised.  The included Arps are getting a bit stale don't you think? Why would you want to use somebody else's eight year old sequence pattern?

We don't want to bring MIDI into the program as arps,

Yes we do...................
    malsip
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/04 20:09:32 (permalink)
    Why would I want to use somebody else's eight year old pattern?   A good question.  My answer: I don't want to use the pattern as-is.  It's a beautiful 8-bar pattern that suggests a ton of melody and motif ideas.  I don't want to use it as-is, I want to slice, dice, and splice to achieve what I hear in my head 'cause every time I hear it, the pattern sets all the creativity bells to ringing.  For somebody as new to music as I am, it's difficult if not impossible to sit down and pick out the notes, the timing, etc, and put them onto paper just by listening.  Of course my goal is (and should be!) to train my ear that well.

But I'm getting off subject... the point is, since there's a MIDI-to-Z3ta arp converter utility, there's GOTTA be  a Z3TA-to-MIDI utility out there someplace.  Google and you will see there is a great deal of interest in this.  Just very few answers :-(
    malsip
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/04 20:14:12 (permalink)
    P.S.

I think you misunderstood me when I wrote "we don't want to bring MIDI into the program as arps".  OF COURSE WE DO.  The point I was making is that ability already exists and unfortunately is being given as an "answer" to all of of who are asking how to go the other direction: out of Z3ta and into MIDI.

You are correct.  MIDI into Z3ta arps is most desirable
    Teksonik
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/05 16:04:11 (permalink)
    malsip

there's a MIDI-to-Z3ta arp converter utility,

Does that even work anymore in newer versions of Z3ta?  i believe it created .cmp files?

malsip

that ability already exists

The problem has always been the Midi to Arp import  has never worked reliably in later versions of Z3ta and it really is quite buggy.  We tried working with Cakewalk support some years ago to fix the problem but with no success.  What bothers me is that CW knows about the problem and still continues to sell Z3ta as is...........I've given up on importing midi files to Z3ta...................In fact I've just about given up on Z3ta with so many other alternatives on the market that are still supported by their developers................

malsip
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/05 18:40:57 (permalink)
    Teksonic,

Thanks much for the reply and the info about the CMP converter.  I had no idea it had gone non-functional.  I wonder if the file format is documented anywhere?  I'm a competent computer programmer and could build an exporter if I could find the specs.  Only reason I'd think of going that route is I'm new to music without any real formal training, so it might be easier to me than to actually transcribe the arp pattern I'm interested in.  On the other hand, this is probably a good way for me to get in some ear training  

I was just hoping for a quick solution so I could move forward on a goal I set for myself to learn composition.  One of the Z3ta presets, "8 bar contact", has been haunting me from the day I heard it.  I've got a catchy arrangement bouncing around in my head, based on that one 8 bar sequence, but until I get it transcribed (hope I'm using the right word), I'm kind of stuck.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!
    Teksonik
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/05 19:00:05 (permalink)
    malsip

Teksonic,

Thanks much for the reply and the info about the CMP converter.  I had no idea it had gone non-functional.

One of the Z3ta presets, "8 bar contact", has been haunting me from the day I heard it.  I've got a catchy arrangement bouncing around in my head, based on that one 8 bar sequence, but until I get it transcribed (hope I'm using the right word), I'm kind of stuck.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!

I'm not 100% sure the .cmp converter doesn't work anymore. Did you try it?  Not sure if it's even included in the latest versions of Z3ta.  It's been ages since I've tried anything with Z3ta's arp.

Yes "8 Bar Contact" is one of my favorite patches of all time time.  I really like everything Kire programmed on Z3ta. He is indeed very talented.  But can you imagine how many times that note sequence has been used over the years?

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/05 20:35:51 (permalink)
    malsip

I'm astounded that no clear answer can be found on how to do this.  A lot of computer programmers (like me) could easily write a utility if we were given a spec detailing the format used by Z3ta.  Is that info under lock and key at the Smithsonian or something?

why not try the dev zone bit.. depends on the info you require though as some of it is  , well IP stuff and obv they don't want to give away their secrets . the Dev's do post on here.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/06 00:30:46 (permalink)

You'd be better off posting this in the Cakewalk Instruments forum you're more likely to get a fully considered response in there.

There's some bright buttons frequent that place.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jonbouy
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/06 00:41:29 (permalink)
    Hmmm

No sooner than I spake and it arrives here, I must have magic powers today.

Teksonik
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/06 19:07:05 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

Hmmm

It's been in the Instrument section since Jan 3rd.............

Jonbouy
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/01/09 00:03:08 (permalink)
    Teksonik

Jonbouy

Hmmm

It's been in the Instrument section since Jan 3rd.............

Man, that's just the day after I went senile.

Co-incidence or what?...

Now where am I, and how do I get back to where I was?

Cheers, Mr Magoo.

PopStarWannabe
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/11/10 18:20:39 (permalink)
    malsip

...we want to pull out some of the sweetest arps by exporting them to midi, where we can then make those "improvements" we're dying to make, before converting back for use in one of the free Z3ta slots. 

Old post, but what you wanted is now possible in Z3TA 2. Have you tried it? I mean getting an arp out of Z3TA 2, modifying it, and bringing it back? Allegedly it works smoothly now.

- Asus P5B-E
    - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    - RME Fireface UC (ASIO Driver)
    - Sonar X2a Producer (x64)

Teksonik
    Re:[Yes, it's being asked AGAIN] exporting z3ta arp patters to midi 2011/11/11 07:38:58 (permalink)
    Drag and Drop of Midi Arps out of Z3TA 2 works perfectly now. Import of one bar Midi files works perfectly now.........
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1