Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day

Author
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
2011/01/31 09:06:02 (permalink)

Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day

I'm not really crankin' 'em out, I just happend to have several projects that were near completion and here is the latest.

This is a tune I really enjoyed writing and recording, hopefully it will provide you with some small measure of enjoyement.

I welcome your observations, good and bad,   Thanks. - Daryl

We Will Remember This Day
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=582907

We Will Remember This Day

Some Days Stand Out From All the Rest
When the Livin’ Was Easy and Life Was the Best
And Day Like Today  Just Seems To Suggest
Peace of Mind

These Are the Days That Make Life Worth Livin’
When We Know That We’ve Got Much More Than We’ve Given
And The Trouble Days We Spent Are Forgiven
Again

Chorus:

Miles and Miles Away
Years From Now We’ll Smile and Say
Life Was Made for Such a Day
We Will Remember
This Day

I Remember the Time It Was Just You and Me
And We Laid on the Sand and We Played in the Sea
And The Palm Trees swayed in a Fragrant Breeze
What a Day

You Remember the Time We Camped By a Stream
And the Moonlight Danced on a Silver Beam
And the Night We Shared Felt Just Like a Dream
What a Night

Chorus:

There Are Days We Spend Right Here at Home
With No Place to Go When We’re All Alone
And We Think of the Best Days We’ve Ever Known
Like Today

It Isn’t the Time and It Isn’t the Place
It Isn’t the Sun That Makes Our Hearts Race
It’s What We Believe and What We Embrace
What a Day

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/

29 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 09:52:55 (permalink)
    Hello Daryl,

Nice tune.  Moves along with ease.  Singing sounds very good.
    I think the mix has a little too much high end (hats and some sybs) otherwise very good.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 11:47:28 (permalink)
    Nice song, buddy!  Vocals and instrumentals are very nicely done.  There's something in the mix that is bothering me but I haven't been too accurate on that lately so I wouldnt' take that too seriously!  :-)    I really like your tune. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 18:31:10 (permalink)
    Nice, Daryl. :-) 

Would it be possible to not capitalize every word on the lyrics.  For some reason, it makes them harder to read.

But I like the song. :-)
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 18:44:35 (permalink)
    That open hat is a little hot D. Your vocals continue to improve :-) Relaxed, but with character and emotion, the way a lot of people wish they could do it... I like the production, my only nit is that open hat. Good job. (I might back off the closed hat a bit too, but definitely the open one.)
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/01/31 18:45:43

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    darylcrowley
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 21:04:57 (permalink)
    My ears again.  I can't even hear the hi hat.   I think I will have to switch to acoustic music so I don't have to use drums.   I suspect it's the channel strip I put on the drum bus.  It brings the kick out but it must bring out the cymbals too and I can't hear those.

Janet -  I thought you were supposed to do that.  That's the only reason I do it.  It sure would save some work to not do it.  Although until I learn the words, it does make it easier to read off the sheet.

Daryl Crowley
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 21:06:09 (permalink)
    You capitalize all the words in the title of the song.  :-)

But if it makes it easier for you, by all means, do it. :-)
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 22:39:15 (permalink)
     Awesome tune, love that tone. Love the vocals especially in the chorus, lovely laid back solos. Always a great song from you, but this one is particularly very special.

Me

rockinrobby
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 22:49:22 (permalink)
    Well, take everything everyone says with a grain or two of salt :-) But I like to listen "critically?" And I listen on phones, good ones? So I hear things... Maybe they're not important? But I'll give you a very honest opinion from my perspective. Rick NoHow heard it as a general high end, "I think the mix has a little too much high end (hats and some sybs) otherwise very good." I heard it specifically as that hat, and specifically the open hat, but maybe a bit the closed one too. So you have a little smoke there :-) LOL!

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/01/31 23:29:05 (permalink)
    That's great Daryl.  You really sing beautifully.  Really like the chorus.  Guitars are layered nicely.  I'm afraid I can't comment on the mix - at least not until I get off all my pain meds.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    darylcrowley
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/01 07:58:41 (permalink)
    Thanks all.  I will tweak on those highs this weekend.  Not sure how I overcome this affliction and given the age of my ears, I probably can't.  I guess that's what this forum is for.  Thank you.!

Janet, I knew it was something like that.  I do find that I end up recording the verses before I have them memorized.  I put the words up on screen so I can see them beyond the microphone and in those cases it helps me key in on the words.  But I wont' do it again because it's more work.  I'm such an idiot some times.

It's a powerful lesson for you younger players out there.  Don't be exposing yourself to LOUD music without ear protection, and don't shoot your guns without ear protection either.  I spent my youth abusing my ears with guitars and guns, thinking I was invulnerable, but later in life you learn, too late, that you're not.  I'm paying for it now.  I started wearing ear protection religiously in my 30s.  Too late and I didn't really pay the consequences until I was almost 50.

Daryl Crowley
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/01 09:42:11 (permalink)
    Daryl, The lyrics really make this song .... As always your playing is soulful and sweet.... I don't think anyone here thinks of you as an idiot, just a real talent that shares his passion with the rest of us. Thanks for sharing it. The hat is a bit hot but I only in the begining.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/01 11:35:19 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

Thanks all.  I will tweak on those highs this weekend.  Not sure how I overcome this affliction and given the age of my ears, I probably can't.  I guess that's what this forum is for.  Thank you.!

Janet, I knew it was something like that.  I do find that I end up recording the verses before I have them memorized.  I put the words up on screen so I can see them beyond the microphone and in those cases it helps me key in on the words.  But I wont' do it again because it's more work.  I'm such an idiot some times.

It's a powerful lesson for you younger players out there.  Don't be exposing yourself to LOUD music without ear protection, and don't shoot your guns without ear protection either.  I spent my youth abusing my ears with guitars and guns, thinking I was invulnerable, but later in life you learn, too late, that you're not.  I'm paying for it now.  I started wearing ear protection religiously in my 30s.  Too late and I didn't really pay the consequences until I was almost 50.
    And that's why you can't see lyrics?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    darylcrowley
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/02 17:33:27 (permalink)
    Yea Mark, I see with my ears.  I guess I switched subjects in my reply without any preamble.  But yea loud music probably is bad for you eyes too.... somehow. 

Tap - No, I'm sure I could find a bunch of people who think I'm an idiot.  The secret is in not caring.

Daryl Crowley
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/02 18:05:52 (permalink)
    This is a very nice song, Daryl, but for some reason it sounds like the entire mix is going through a flanger, which distracts my attention from the song itself.
    post edited by Scottytunes - 2011/02/03 21:12:56

String Jammer
    darylcrowley
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/02 22:00:29 (permalink)
    A flanger?  Really?    It totally escapes me, honestly.  I hear nothing like that.   If it does, I quit trying to mix.  There is no flanger or anything remotely phasey on any track. 

Daryl Crowley
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/02 23:51:31 (permalink)

Hey Daryl

I've listened to this one a few times, just hadn't commented. My energy and stamina
    from my physical condition has had me drained but I'm trying to "build back up.
    The cool thing about you and your songs are that they are so unique in a good way.
    Maybe as I have commented less and mainly "listened" lately I've sort of come to
    understand "me" a little more in some ways.

There is something that draws me toward the whole learning and mixing, writing,
    producing etc subject. It feels good to see someone as yourself doing tunes that has
    heart and soul. I know that you struggle with "some" issues, such as your hearing but
    yet manage to still do so well, as if that (wasn't a problem for you).

You overcome that and even "set standards" in quality such as your guitar tone as
    well as other things that is "that Daryl style". It's sort of like (i had mentioned earlier)
    about learning. That is me I'm speaking of. It's like (I) can sort of study your works
    like the study of artists styles.

So when I listen to "your" stuff I can sometimes hear something that could use a
    tweak from a "tech" aspect in the engineering, I'm also reminded of the fact that
    your stuff still sounds very good and you do things so well. That also reminds me of
    reading that an artist had once said that "a painting is never finished".

I like this Daryl
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 00:13:42 (permalink)

Nice song Daryl , sort makes me think of an Eagle song or could be one .
    The song , vocals and mix sounded great in my ears .

Good one ! Radio

darylcrowley
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 08:14:30 (permalink)
    Jimmy - Thanks for the kind words and the careful listen.  It does get discouraging fighting with my failing ears.  I have an almost morbid fear of losing my hearing (too late to change that now.)  I would almost rather lose my sight as I can't imagine a world without music.  It has been one of the most important things in my life since I was about 4 years old.  Not just performing, I gave up road life years ago because I don't like living out of a suitcase.  But even when I was not playing but raising a family, music and concerts were always in my life.  Music is a very emotional and passionate thing for me,  I FEEL every note, even though I can't hear them very well, or certainly not like a should.  My right ear hears at a significantly lower decibel rating than my left does, and my left ear ain't good.  It's a struggle.

Now, just arriving at age 60, I view life and music from a new perspective because everything in life has a new perspective, as I'm sure you realize with your own challenges.  Life changes you and that changes your music, as it should.

I love all the things about recording, mixers, effects, EQ, all that stuff is fascinating but it requires a different skill set than performing and one that demands just as much attention.  It sure would be easier if all I had to do is play and sing, and not have to worry about the drums, the mix, the keyboards, etc.  I sure wish I could have learned these things when I was young and my mind could have absorbed so many different disciplines, but don't we all wish we could start all over with what we know now.  And living in the north woods backwater just doesn't give me a lot opportunities for local collaboration.  So I do what I can.  I try to challenge myself every day musically and I try to put the passion and pieces of my life into my songs.  Let's face it, we all die young and at age 60, I don't have enough time to say all I want to say musically.  So I try to make sure my lyrics and  my guitar playing say something.  For some reason I feel that when I'm gone my friends and family will best understand how I felt, that somehow the will finally realize what I was always trying to say.  Sometimes I almost feel as though I'm in a race with life and I need to get this things out of me and recorded before the race is over.

When I was young it was all about speed and feedback, now it's about space, melody, content and caressing each note, trying to eek out the message contained in a single note.  I've always been moved by strong emotional melodic guitar passages and I hope that my solos ultimately solidify the meaning of the words.  Where my voice doesn't give me the range to convey the emotion I feel, my guitar is capable of giving me the range to say what I feel needs to be said.

Now, I wish I could say it like Larry Carlton or something, but I'm who I am, and I say it the best way I can.

But still I need the crits because my ears lie to me and I know the folks here do not.  Thank you!

Radio - Thank you!  I spent a number of years on the road in what was primarily an Eagles cover band.  It's certainly colored my music over the years and I have no end of great memories of that band and our journeys.

Daryl Crowley
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 09:40:32 (permalink)
    Wow!  Very nice song.  The lyrics are very meaningful and touching.  Very nice guitars and overall production. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 09:46:09 (permalink)
    Nice work Daryl.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Kroneborge
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 10:31:29 (permalink)
    In regards to hearing loss, they are making really great strides in the bio-tech fields both to extend live, and enhance it.   Don't be surprised if they can't reverse that hearing loss damage in a couple of years.

As for the song, I like it.   IMO, well played with plenty of professional polish.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 12:22:54 (permalink)
    Lovely song, Daryl, and the performance and mix are perfect; exactly what I've come to expect when I listen to your material.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 15:48:16 (permalink)
    Hi Daryl,

Very nice. 

The music/lyrics/mix/vocal and guitar performances are all outstanding in my opinion.

You have developed a recognizable style while avoiding repeating yourself.

Try not to get to down about your hearing...I'm sure you can still hear better than Beethoven could

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/03 21:14:48 (permalink)
    darylcrowley

A flanger?  Really?    It totally escapes me, honestly.  I hear nothing like that.   If it does, I quit trying to mix.  There is no flanger or anything remotely phasey on any track. 

Perhaps it is the converting to MP3 or the host site then. Not sure, but I downloaded it 3 times to make sure that it wasn't something on my end.

String Jammer
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/04 05:33:43 (permalink)
    well you have had people mention the cymbals (esp the crash and pedal hat) but other than that it's pretty spot-on. i love the vocals, the BV's are perfect for this. some sweet little guitar runs during the verse and chorus.
    although the solo is well done, i'm not sure if the tune doesn't need something else in place of that...a different instrument maybe...or the tone is too laid back..maybe just try adding something else (i'm thinking sax though i know that is almost impossible to model)...

otherwise a great tune.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/04 14:34:35 (permalink)
    Enjoyed this tune...nicely done, very relaxing and tells a great story...

what else is there?

Good work laddy!!
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/04 14:45:39 (permalink)
    LOVE the guitar sound.  It is so rich sounding. Have to agree about the open hihat being a bit too loud, but the closed one sounds OK to me.  Would have liked the bottom end to be a little louder, but very nice song!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/04 20:47:08 (permalink)
    Great song Daryl... You have a fine touch buddy...
    Killer tone...
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Yet another NEW song. We Will Remeber This Day 2011/02/04 21:00:54 (permalink)
    +1 on killer tone. Hearing loss or not, you can make that axe sing, D.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1