You Read Me Like a Book

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/06/13 09:22:22 (permalink)

You Read Me Like a Book

You Read Me Like a Book
https://www.reverbnation.com/rexredmusicartist/song/29691113-you-read-me-like-a-book

I may have a little bit of editing left to do on this but it is finished for the most part. :)

Enjoy Cakewalk peeps! 

8 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/13 10:57:50 (permalink)
    Not really my style of music but sounds well captured here.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/13 17:48:10 (permalink)
    I love how you got out of the iambic stuff that alot of songwriters use (where everything has to rhyme on time?)  The only thing that really stands out is intonation on the vocal.  I like the song alot though.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

RexRed
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/13 19:32:30 (permalink)
    You absolutely nailed it Eph221, the vocals are the thing I need to spend some time on editing. I will put the mp3 on my phone and learn the mix over a few days then go back to editing it further in Melodyne.

I sung the song yesterday the lead and then harmonies. Was up till 4am editing the first wave of vocal edits. Will visit the song a few more times. Please let me know if there is a certain spot or word that needs editing in particular if you would not mind.

Wookiee:
    As for the song style well, Led Zeppelin is perhaps one of my favorite bands but, when it comes to my own music, I do not try and dictate what form or style I use. Some would call this a lack of maturity as an artist but I just call it poetic freedom.

Eph221:
    As for the issue of me deviating from the song rhyming scheme. When writing the song an off rhyming scheme presented itself and I just went along with it and replicated the pattern to a degree in subsequent verses. Sometimes my unconscious mind (or muse) seems to think that is what the song needs for it to fit the music form. It certainly made it seem less repetitive and gives the song, as simple as it innately is, a bit more variation.  :) 

Be back soon with an edited version. 

Thanks for checking it out Cakewalk peeps! :)
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/14 04:14:49 (permalink)
    I like your voice and your off-kilter rhyme meter. Some cool lyrics as well.

Just a couple of pitch spots on the vocal, for example "phrase" at :45 But your voice has a listenable quality fer shure.

I wanted some different instrumentation to come in half way through, just to shake it up a little.

nice one so far!

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    RexRed
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/14 11:14:31 (permalink)
    I agree Tom, the middle solo is terrible, the fiddle is too weak there. I was thinking about a jazz guitar instead. Any other possible suggestions? And you are right, the word phrase is really out (and a lot of other timing and pitch problems). I will try a jazz guitar instead of the fiddle in the middle solo. (or maybe a lap steel) :)

Or maybe an old time piano solo all sing songey...

I seem to draw a blank there I will try some experimentation.

I will leave a message here when it has been fixed.

Let me know any suggestions and I will try them, no promises, but I will try them. 

Maybe an electric guitar with some mournful bends. :)

RexRed
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/15 01:14:55 (permalink)
    I think I fixed the intonation in the vocals and I added a better lead during the instrumental part in the middle. The Jazz guitar was not lead enough so I went with a slightly distorted and sustained electric guitar lead. 

The timing on this song is very brisk and aligning each vocal syllable to the timing has taken me the better part of a day.

I am sure I will still hear slight delays, early notes, certain syllables that are rushed once I have time to listen to it on my phone a few times. I will probably have to revisit this song again and tweak a few notes here and there.

I think it is for the most part done though.  

I replaced the song on Reverbnation so follow the link above in the thread description to hear the finished song.

Thanks for the listens Cakewalk peeps! :)
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/15 01:35:07 (permalink)
    Nice tune - love the vocals.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

RexRed
    Re: You Read Me Like a Book 2018/06/15 05:04:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Markus for listening. :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1