You'll have to excuse me

Author
Caine
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/01/19 12:35:21 (permalink)

You'll have to excuse me

Hey how's it going guy. I am new to the site and as of yet I have yet to buy Cakewalk or any other program. I am basically looking for a good software system that doesn't require the actual instruments. Say for instance I go get a song book with all of Ozzy's songs. Can I type in the musical scale of the song and have Cakewalk reproduce the actual sound of the guitar or the other instruments? Basically what I am asking does the sound card in the software package make the music sound athentic or does it sound more digital? So eventhough I can't play the actual instrument can I style the sound on a scale and have a genuine sound? I was wondering cause basically if I can't reproduce the sounds without having to be able to play the instrument then the software is pointless, cause no one can play all the instruments they need.

9 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/19 13:39:49 (permalink)
    I don't have the latest version of Sonar, but the included TTS-1 software synth is probably ok for home recordings. If you want something a bit more upscale (with all categories of sounds), then look into things like Kontakt, Dimension Pro, SampleTank, SonikSynth.

If you're looking for specific instrument needs, say just guitar, then maybe something like RealGuitar or Slayer.

What type of sounds are you looking for?

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    Caine
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/19 16:21:29 (permalink)
    I would like to cross Godsmack, Alice and Chains with Nine Inch Nails. As far as guitar is concerned I have heard in the past that some of the music software made the guitar sound more digital than normal recording studio sounds. Like a slight pause betwen cords. Noting very fluid.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/22 04:40:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Caine

I would like to cross Godsmack, Alice and Chains with Nine Inch Nails. As far as guitar is concerned I have heard in the past that some of the music software made the guitar sound more digital than normal recording studio sounds. Like a slight pause betwen cords. Noting very fluid.

Guitar is a very expressive instrument, and you cannot expect software to reproduce the same kind of tonal qualities as a live musician. But there are addon software that are aiming to go a bit further. I think Steinberg got something called Virtual Guitarist and such. It's probably a plugin that is loaded into Sonar or some other recording software.

But don't expect to get the real thing.

Step #1. Getting sounds that are similar to guitar.
    Look at torhans post above.
    Step #2. Getting the expression from a live musician.
    Well, it's art we are talking about. I'm glad it cannot be fully replaced by software.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/22 12:48:40 (permalink)
    Nothing very fluid. Slight pause.

This can be overcome ;)+) On guitar cord tracks or leads you can set up 2 seperate tracks using the same voice/patch/sound. If the resulting midi track has notes that overlap just a touch you'll get no pause between cords/notes in your finished audio bounce. Automating the pan and volume can add movement as well. If the overlap is at ther end of your sequenced note you won't compromise the attack portion. Slight difference between these 2 tracks using eq or a multiband compressor can add that live variation you'd get using a real guitar player. It's a compromise yes and if you have a guitar and can play the part do so. When you render these down to audio and further edit you can change up the fade a tad between the different notes using track envelopes. Then render again to a single track. Why? Using software to simulate real instruments is a challenge. Tricks can add depth and variation that puts you closer to the real thing.
    Caine
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/22 14:37:16 (permalink)
    thanks for in the info, I was curious as well. Is there a sound card that will filter out the metal sound of the notes?
    lawapa
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/22 16:13:22 (permalink)
    Is there a sound card that will filter out the metal sound of the notes?

I don't understand that? You want a clean guitar sound? You don't filter using a soundcard. A soundcard just plays and converts audio in/out. If clean is what you want you need a set that starts that way. And there are many. I have many I made myself and bunches I bought. But a distorted guitar sound is just that and you can't filter that out.
    Caine
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/28 16:07:59 (permalink)
    I have heard the begining of some computer music and the very begining of each note had a bit of a brassy whing to it. And with the spacing it was more apparent. figured the brassy sound came in on a freqency that could be filtered out.
    lawapa
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/28 20:53:20 (permalink)
    It may be a filter setting, chasing this down in Dimension might take a little effort but the best way to find out where this is coming from would be to turn off all effects one at a time till the sound goes away then play with that setting.
    Caine
    RE: You'll have to excuse me 2006/01/29 15:19:55 (permalink)
    alrighty then thanx. I'll gve er a go.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1