Your thoughts please

Author
Awes
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
2014/05/24 13:35:46 (permalink)

Your thoughts please

Hi all

Think I've maybe started running before I can walk on this one! Posted up my first ever mix (of another bands song) a few months back. This now, is my first attempt at writing, recording and mixing my own track. Need to write/record some vocals yet, but am interested to hear (read) your thoughts on the mixing of the instrumental version.

https://soundcloud.com/da...ree-judges-rough-mix-1

Thanks 

Sonar Platinum; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
PC: Windows 7/64; AMD A8;16GB RAM
My SoundCloud

15 Replies Related Threads

rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/24 17:25:00 (permalink)
    Nice, look forward to the vocals.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    Awes
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/25 13:27:30 (permalink)
    rebel007
    Nice, look forward to the vocals.

Thanks, struggling with the melody at the moment. Thought I'd throw this out there for some mixing feedback, first attempt and all.

My SoundCloud
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/25 13:45:31 (permalink)
    Interesting start I will keep an ear out for the vocal version

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    polarbear
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1212
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/25 13:48:26 (permalink)
    very cool track so far. love the changing sections. only real advice i could say is the muted guitar notes sound too tiny. too small.

the opening bit sounds kinda like tracy chapman "fast car" (not that that's a bad thing or anything haha)

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
    http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
    Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
    Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
    RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
    Awes
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/26 08:51:44 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Interesting start I will keep an ear out for the vocal version

Thanks, have sat down a couple of times to write a melody but struggling. Think I'll have to take a week away from it and revisit next weekend. 

polarbear
    very cool track so far. love the changing sections. only real advice i could say is the muted guitar notes sound too tiny. too small.

the opening bit sounds kinda like tracy chapman "fast car" (not that that's a bad thing or anything haha)

Thanks, from memory, I did boost up the high frequencies on the muted parts, will definitely revisit it when I next have a tinker.

Strange you mention Tracy Chapman, I wrote the opening part a couple of years ago, a few months later the the other half was watching X-Factor/Got Talent and I was unfortunate enough to be in the same room. Someone sang 'fast car' and I had never heard it before but said to her I recognised it and it sounded a blatant rip off of another song I had heard, but couldn't remember what. Starting to think it was this track I was thinking of. Think I owe her an apology 

My SoundCloud
    polarbear
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/26 10:05:27 (permalink)
    haha nice

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
    Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
    Awes
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/30 15:05:53 (permalink)
    So, I've had a play, unfortunately still struggling with the melody!! I've removed the reverb from the drums and placed a more subtle one on the master bus. Also tweaked the EQ on the low end of the acoustic guitar and kick drum, hopefully to clear out some of the muddiness. I did play with removing the techno drums, sounded even more disjointed to me though so kept them in.

Have left my first attempt on there to so they can be compared. Although still not great, I am much happier with it now than the first attempt. Still work to be done though. Will probably leave any more changes until vocals are in so it can all fit together nicely.

Better??

https://soundcloud.com/da...ree-judges-rough-mix-2

My SoundCloud
    polarbear
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/30 15:35:20 (permalink)
    Definitely better. Really sounds great man.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/30 16:54:30 (permalink)
    I too thought it sounded like something I head heard before. I didn't know the song but knew I had heard it on the radio.

When I write something that ends up sounding too similar to a song everyone else knows.....I scrap it and try again.

Another option is to rewrite it based loosely on what you have. Try to make it flow and be cohesive in respects to the genre.

For what it's worth..... I heard several really sweet ideas in that for several different songs. I'd look at breaking out the best one to you and work on that first. Leave Ms Chapman's sound-alike on the shelf for now.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/30 20:35:00 (permalink)
    I had to lol @ polarbears remakes about fast car...stole the words out of my mouth..lol..but to the tune...I would suggest that w/o vox I can't even begin to give you real feedback..I know your asking about the arrangement and the mix but for me...I need the vox melody to really help....in fact its like puting out a bunch of good tasting side dishes and no main course..which really will carry the whole meal...so even ruff vox when your putting your line in the water is a huge step in helping others, help you....this is just MHO so I'm just giving you my input from my seat. with all that said here's my quick take...the intro is very intimate and recorded well although at some point the string squeak needs some work..but then when you kick the electric guitars in they seem too distant...i'd pull them up in the mix...I loved to break you did..nice change-up...so all in all you got a good start..but I need vox to hear where its going...if you want to hear an alt mix of your guitars...PM me and if you shoot me the CWB I'll remix (no $$ of course...just for fun) with my ears and see what you think..
    fun stuff.

thepogue @ yahoo dot com
    Awes
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/31 10:31:03 (permalink)
    polarbear
    Definitely better. Really sounds great man.

Thanks, much appreciated! 

Guitarhacker
    I too thought it sounded like something I head heard before. I didn't know the song but knew I had heard it on the radio.

When I write something that ends up sounding too similar to a song everyone else knows.....I scrap it and try again.

Another option is to rewrite it based loosely on what you have. Try to make it flow and be cohesive in respects to the genre.

For what it's worth..... I heard several really sweet ideas in that for several different songs. I'd look at breaking out the best one to you and work on that first. Leave Ms Chapman's sound-alike on the shelf for now.

I did consider just sing the second part, but with the tempo change, made it a bit of a ball ache. Hopefully, with the right melody, it should take it away from Ms Chapman.

Unless the melody resembles that track too! 

thepogue
    I had to lol @ polarbears remakes about fast car...stole the words out of my mouth..lol..but to the tune...I would suggest that w/o vox I can't even begin to give you real feedback..I know your asking about the arrangement and the mix but for me...I need the vox melody to really help....in fact its like puting out a bunch of good tasting side dishes and no main course..which really will carry the whole meal...so even ruff vox when your putting your line in the water is a huge step in helping others, help you....this is just MHO so I'm just giving you my input from my seat. with all that said here's my quick take...the intro is very intimate and recorded well although at some point the string squeak needs some work..but then when you kick the electric guitars in they seem too distant...i'd pull them up in the mix...I loved to break you did..nice change-up...so all in all you got a good start..but I need vox to hear where its going...if you want to hear an alt mix of your guitars...PM me and if you shoot me the CWB I'll remix (no $$ of course...just for fun) with my ears and see what you think..
    fun stuff.

thepogue @ yahoo dot com

Agreed on the vocals/melody, completely understand. Struggling at the moment though, ideas I've come up with are too 'poppy' or sound too forced. Am going to stick this version on the iPod and just listen to it now and again until I can find something that fits.

Definitely up for sending you across the CWP file for a play. One of the beauties of music I find it listening to alternative takes on tracks, how they can be exactly the same song but be completely different. I'll drop you a PM now. Cheers 

My SoundCloud
    teego
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 518
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/31 11:55:56 (permalink)
    Version 2 is definitely cleaner sounding. The electric guitars do need some more tweaking I think, they do sound a little thin to me, need a little something to fatten them up. The playing is good ! Now write some lyrics.

Computer: Intel core2 quad q8400 @2.66ghz, 4 gb memory,64 bit Windows 7 Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Sonar Platinum Ipswich and Update 1

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/05/31 18:06:38 (permalink)
    kk man....your PM answered..and I'd say let the song write itself...dont fret about being too poppy...no sounding forced...that's never a good thing...but one mans pop is another mans..poop...lol..

talk soon
    tonydean
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/06/02 05:15:03 (permalink)
    Nice work Damien. For your first mix, it's very profession sounding, I think you're a natural! Love the sound of the intro guitar, very clear tone and nice playing. The only thing I thought, was when the kick drum comes in, it's a touch too loud. Just a touch I reckon. Look forward to hearing the completed one with vocals!

Intel Core i7 920, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Dual screen,   Sonar X3e, Producer64bit, BFD2 64bit with Andy Johns
    Waves Mercury, M-Audio Profire 610, Fender Strat Guitar, Cole Clark, Angel 2 Acoustic, Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
    Jackson Skulls Guitar, Rode NT-2 Condenser Mic
    2 TB, Samsung pro840 256 gig SSD, USB 3.0 WD external HD, Sonar V-Studio 700c.
    Awes
    Re: Your thoughts please 2014/06/06 08:04:59 (permalink)
    tonydean
    Nice work Damien. For your first mix, it's very profession sounding, I think you're a natural! Love the sound of the intro guitar, very clear tone and nice playing. The only thing I thought, was when the kick drum comes in, it's a touch too loud. Just a touch I reckon. Look forward to hearing the completed one with vocals!

Thanks man, much appreciated. Agreed kick has been a bit of a pain. First too quiet, and you're right, maybe boosted it a bit too much.

Tom (thepogue) is tinkering with it at the moment, already heard a sneak preview and he's certainly worked some magic on it

My SoundCloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1