Z3TA+2 Arp License Question

Author
Teksonik
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
2014/05/22 07:43:44 (permalink)

Z3TA+2 Arp License Question

Someone asked this the other day and I didn't have an answer so........What are the license terms for the Arps included with Z3TA+2's factory patches (which can now be dragged and dropped into a track) ? Are they free to use in commercial tracks ? I have no desire to use someone else's sequence but others have expressed interest in doing so.......which is why they asked for the ability to drag/drop in the first place.  Could someone from CW please comment ?  Thanks.

11 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/22 11:34:04 (permalink)
    I would imagine they share the license agreement for Z3TA - you can use them in your own songs but you can't "resell" them.  Just like the sounds in a sample-based synth.  You can drop the SFZ into another synth, but you can't sell the SFZ file or the samples themselves.  But using the included arps for other synths - sure.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Teksonik
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/22 23:01:26 (permalink)
    Interested in hearing from CW reps........Here's the original question posed by someone else on another forum.

Reason I ask is this - suppose Cakewalk ships z3ta with some kick-ass melody or sequence that sounds like it would result in a huge hit. Now a 1000 people release a track with exactly that melody, and some of those get famous...hm I just can't imagine how this will pan out. I guess they'll have to make it "totally free" somehow, if that's possible. Or they don't, in which case users risk getting into trouble.

mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/22 23:14:23 (permalink)
    I would imagine they are royalty free and paid for with the purchase price.  Just like purchasing royalty free music for other purposes.
    Now it an arp sequence becomes a major part of a song (think the Who..."We won't get fooled again"), then I would think it all depends on how similar different songs end up actually being.   For instance, I notice the FIRST factory sequence patch in Z3ta, you hear that in their commercials.  I guess my answer would be "it depends".

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Teksonik
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/23 07:08:37 (permalink)
    Really looking for a CW's official response. There is a legal reason for the question and it has to do with Arp Sequence export requests in another product. There is some concern that Sound Designers will not want their sequences used outside of the original patches.
    gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/23 14:39:12 (permalink)
    You are not going to get an 'official' Cakewalk reply on this forum.  This is a user forum and not a support forum.  You may want to check out the sticky post above on how to contact Cakewalk directly.

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/25 12:37:09 (permalink)
    Bump to remove spammer topic title from home page.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Teksonik
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/29 20:08:50 (permalink)
    Spammer topic ? Not sure what you mean......

Anyway once in awhile some CW guys will post in these forums so I thought I might catch Ryan or one of the others here.....
    I could try the DSP Beta forum but there hasn't been any activity there in quite some time......Not worth opening a "support ticket" for a simple question.
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/05/29 20:48:51 (permalink)
    I think he bumped it because there were some SPAM topics above your post.... and by replying on this, knocked them further down.  Your post is not SPAM and I'll be eager to hear a qualified answer too.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/06/01 17:39:36 (permalink)
    This is not a trivial question, and as a company that makes software specifically for the professional production of music, the copyright issue could perhaps be clearer. The place to look for clarification is in the EULA that accompanies the software.

For Sonar X3, for example the following is a pretty unambiguous statement included in the LICENSE AGREEMENT  in the User Guide:
    "3.2 The Licensee may modify the instrument content. LICENSEE MAY USE THE INSTRUMENT CONTENT FOR
    COMMERCIAL PURPOSES WITHIN MUSICAL COMPOSITIONS." Unfortunately the same contract specifies that certain content distributed with X3 belongs to other parties, and a clear statement of how that third party content is licensed to the Sonar purchaser is ambiguous.

If the material is included in the term "demo content," the use would be severely limited:
    "4. DEMO or THIRD PARTY DEMO CONTENT RESTRICTIONS. Unless specified elsewhere in your product package, the following restrictions apply to all digitally recorded sounds, MIDI or Cakewalk-format song files or
    rhythm patterns, and printed or digitally reproduced sheet music contained in the product package (the "demo content"): All demo content is protected by copyright and owned by Cakewalk or other parties that have licensed these works to Cakewalk. Any duplication, adaptation, or arrangement of the demo content without written consent of the owner is an infringement of U.S. or foreign copyright law and subject to the penalties and liabilities provided therein. You may not synchronize the demo content with any videotape or film, or print the demo content in the form of standard music notation, without the express written permission of the copyright owner. The demo content may not be used for broadcast or transmission of any kind. You may not resell or redistribute the demo content "as is" 52 (i.e., stand alone) in any way, including for use in sampling or sample playback units, or in any sound library product, or in any radio or television broadcast, soundtrack, film or other commercial product in any media, whether the works remain in their original form or are reformatted, mixed, filtered, re-synthesized or otherwise edited."
    Presumably samples and presets provided by Cakewalk are not "demo content," but would be considered "instrument content," and thus be licensed for use in your own music. How you would be able to determine if there is "third party" instrument content which has not been licensed to you is a puzzle for me.

I assume there is something like this hidden somewhere in the Z3Ta +2 download or installation material, although it may require an actual installation to reveal it.

I have searched in vain for a web accessible copy of the license for any Cakewalk product. Apparently you have to buy the product and then agree to the included EULA after purchase but before completing installation.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/06/01 18:04:30 (permalink)
    The License Agreement for Z3TA+2 is at the end of the Z3TA+2 User Guide.

FWIW, the X3 User Guide is available for download without purchase from the support page. I would suggest contacting customer support for licensing questions.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Z3TA+2 Arp License Question 2014/06/02 10:50:57 (permalink)
    the terms in the license agreement seem pretty clear to me.  You can use anything included in Z3ta+2, including ARP patterns and even modify them.  You just cannot redistribute them.  Yes, theoretically there could be thousands of songs with the exact same ARP sequence and if you listen to enough music you will find there ARE a lot of songs with almost identical patterns used.  For the most part this takes care of itself. You can put out a song like that but the more it is used, the less likely it will be to sell.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1