Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune

Author
Grunwaldt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/06/01 21:23:23 (permalink)

Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune

I don't understand how the Z3TA+ 2.1 factory preset called "Devious Movements" sounds tuned correctly and not out of tune. I will try to explain why I don't get it, you'll have to excuse my bad english. The preset consists in 2 oscillators, the second osc is playing the 5th (7 semitones up) which is irrelevant, but the first oscillator is fine-tuned up 37.5 cents and the second is fine-tuned down 39.1 cents. This would make them sound clarely out of tune, doesn't it? the key seems to be the LFO2, which alters the pitch of both oscillators. The only explanation I can imagine for the preset to sound correctly tuned is that the LFO2 alters the pitch pushing down the first oscillator and up the second oscillator, but, how in the hell can a single lfo on a single modulation slot do this? If any guru knows how it is sounding on tune, please explain me. Regards, Sergi
post edited by Grunwaldt - 2013/06/01 21:32:21

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune 2013/06/02 09:26:17 (permalink)
    Your English is perfect.  'Devious Movements' isn't really 'in tune'.  There's just so much going on that the preset sounds thick and relatively in tune.

The best way to dissect any complex preset is to break it down to the bare components.  In this case, you want to learn about the interaction of the 2 detuned oscillators, and how LFO2 affects them.  Most parameters can be reset to default settings by bypassing the On/Off switch, double-clicking, or left- and right-clicking on them at the same time.

Get rid of all of the Effects section.  Left+right-click on all of the Sources in the Mod Matrix (for now, even LFO2 in the fourth slot).  It's best to bring the oscillators to their most basic state.  In OSC1 and OSC2, you can double-click on the Spread control (effectively defeating the multi-oscillators), or - better yet - change the Oscillator Mode to Normal, Sync.

I always change the oscillator waveshape to Gen. Sine for pitch analysis.  It helps to focus on pitch alone without all of the harmonics/ overtone distractions, and also helps to mitigate any filter interaction.  In this preset, I'd bring OSC 2 Transpose down from +7 to zero as well.  You want to compare pitch-to-pitch.

So, now you're left with a sine waveform in OSC1 and OSC2, and each is detuned in different directions by nearly 40 cents.  You can clearly hear the beating between the 2 oscillators.  If you double-click on the Fine Tune control in either or both oscillators now, you'll hear less frequency beating, or none at all (respectively).  Now bring back LFO2 into the fourth Mod Matrix slot.  You'll hear the very slow, up-and-down pitch effects of the Triangle waveform on both oscillators.

Edit:  Preset name.
    post edited by b rock - 2013/06/02 12:00:28
    Grunwaldt
    Re:Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune 2013/06/02 13:53:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for you answer b rock! I will try to dissect the preset as you suggest. I just have 1 question, does the LFO2 push one oscillator's pitch up while doing down for the other? how's that possible?
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re:Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune 2013/06/02 16:51:05 (permalink)
    I had a very long explanation written, and then the forum reply crashed.  The short answer is - LFO2 is moving both oscillators's pitch together in sync (not in opposite directions).
    Grunwaldt
    Re:Z3TA 2.1 Not understanding a preset, should sound out of tune 2013/06/02 16:55:31 (permalink)
    Damn, I would have loved that explanation. Anyway you have answered my question, thank you very much. If you want to elaborate any further I will read with great interest.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1