Z3ta patch download debacle!

Author
sada10
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2008/08/13 11:41:27 (permalink)

Z3ta patch download debacle!

I am at work so I am basically trying to recall all of this from memory, so forgive me in advance if I am a little of in my description.

For the first time I visited patch arena at the recommendation of some on the forum to try and download some custom patches-So I downloaded a zip file and found some sub-files in them;
question 1, the instructions that were downloaded in the zip basically told me where to distribute the contents of the various folders (i.e. like place wave files in your wavetable folder).
One instruction said to place the programs .128 (there were three of these) in the preset folder; the problem is I could not find a "Preset" folder in my Z3ta folder, so I made one. Is this what I was supposed to do?

So I open Z3ta, and a bunch of the default programs don't work-I am not sure if I can even pullup the additional patches that I downloaded. I also noticed that when I opened z3ta and clicked the program button, a folder titled "programs is shown where I can pull my program file data from, funny thing is, I don't even see this folder when I am going through explorer and searching the contents of the Z3ta folder.

I don't know what the hell I am doing-can someone make this plain for me?

X1 Producer;PreSonus Firepod;EVGA: AMD Phenom IIX4 965;DDR3;Win 7 64 CoolWaters- The blood is in the music, but the music is in the water-just drink it; it's yours!

8 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 15:09:06 (permalink)
    question 1, the instructions that were downloaded in the zip basically told me where to distribute the contents of the various folders (i.e. like place wave files in your wavetable folder).
    One instruction said to place the programs .128 (there were three of these) in the preset folder; the problem is I could not find a "Preset" folder in my Z3ta folder, so I made one. Is this what I was supposed to do?
    It's really going to help here if you can give the exact file name of what you downloaded. z3ta+ has been around for half a decade, with as many point release updates. Some of the preset collections at PatchArena were salvaged from the old PatchArena site, and may not have been updated recently.

The .128 files contain a complete bank of 128 presets, intended to replace one of the banks from A-F. As I recall, you can just drag 'n' drop a .128 file over the z3ta+ interface. But it's always prudent to do a Save Bank File operation first. It's under the Bank button in the lower-right of the interface, and it saves all six z3ta+ banks, A-F. That's also where you can load & save MIDI Bank Files (.128) 'manually'.

funny thing is, I don't even see this folder when I am going through explorer and searching the contents of the Z3ta folder.
    It may be a hidden file, as per your computer's Folder settings. Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Hidden Files and Folders [WinXP].
    At any rate, it's not in the z3ta+ folder anymore, as of version 1.5x, "Vista compatibility", and the release of z3ta+ in Sonar7.

In Win XP, the path is normally C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Programs.
    For Vista, I seem to recall it being somewhere under C:\ProgramData.
    sada10
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 15:53:40 (permalink)
    It's really going to help here if you can give the exact file name of what you downloaded. z3ta+ has been around for half a decade, with as many point release updates. Some of the preset collections at PatchArena were salvaged from the old PatchArena site, and may not have been updated recently.

This is the file I downloaded:
    z3ta+_FrancescoSilvestri_VirusMOD

The .128 files contain a complete bank of 128 presets, intended to replace one of the banks from A-F. As I recall, you can just drag 'n' drop a .128 file over the z3ta+ interface. But it's always prudent to do a Save Bank File operation first. It's under the Bank button in the lower-right of the interface, and it saves all six z3ta+ banks, A-F. That's also where you can load & save MIDI Bank Files (.128) 'manually'.

I do apologize, but I don't know exactly where I am supposed to drag and drop the file bank; are you talking about the drop down menu where I can select my sounds?

funny thing is, I don't even see this folder when I am going through explorer and searching the contents of the Z3ta folder.
    It may be a hidden file, as per your computer's Folder settings. Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View -> Hidden Files and Folders [WinXP].
    At any rate, it's not in the z3ta+ folder anymore, as of version 1.5x, "Vista compatibility", and the release of z3ta+ in Sonar7.

In Win XP, the path is normally C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\z3ta+\Programs.

I understand this part-Thanks!
    post edited by sada10 - 2008/08/13 16:20:39

X1 Producer;PreSonus Firepod;EVGA: AMD Phenom IIX4 965;DDR3;Win 7 64 CoolWaters- The blood is in the music, but the music is in the water-just drink it; it's yours!
    sada10
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 15:58:32 (permalink)

I do apologize, but I don't know exactly where I am supposed to drag and drop the file bank; are you talking about the drop down menu where I can select my sounds?

I understand this part-Thanks!

post edited by sada10 - 2008/08/13 16:29:02

b rock
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 16:08:24 (permalink)
    OK, now this is a complicated one. Not only is it patch banks, but it's effectively an entirely new synth. When successful, you end up with a 'regular' z3ta+ instance, and a completely distinct VirusMod synth. A lot of people have difficulty with this setup, and it's easy to **** it up. If I'm not mistaken, there's a VirusMod2 revision, and the instructions may be updated in that (as well as the content).

Either way, it's going to take me a while to research the various options after I get home. With any luck, fr4ncesco (a forum member here, and the author of the VirusMod) will pop in to help you out.
    I don't know exactly where I am supposed to drag and drop the file bank
    I haven't done it in a while, but I was thinking directly from Windows Explorer, over the top of the selected bank [A-F] that you want to replace. Again, I'll need to verify this before I feel comfortable giving the advice.
    sada10
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 16:34:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

OK, now this is a complicated one. Not only is it patch banks, but it's effectively an entirely new synth. When successful, you end up with a 'regular' z3ta+ instance, and a completely distinct VirusMod synth. A lot of people have difficulty with this setup, and it's easy to **** it up. If I'm not mistaken, there's a VirusMod2 revision, and the instructions may be updated in that (as well as the content).

Either way, it's going to take me a while to research the various options after I get home. With any luck, fr4ncesco (a forum member here, and the author of the VirusMod) will pop in to help you out.
    I don't know exactly where I am supposed to drag and drop the file bank
    I haven't done it in a while, but I was thinking directly from Windows Explorer, over the top of the selected bank [A-F] that you want to replace. Again, I'll need to verify this before I feel comfortable giving the advice.

Wow-I did not realize that this was going to be this difficult!
    Maybe I will try downloading one of the other available downloads-if I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like some of the other ones might be easier.

Actually, this file is not even the initial file that I attempted-the first one I downloaded appeared to require MS-Word to read the instructions which is not on my DAW.

b rock
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 16:46:33 (permalink)
    I don't want to discourage you here. The VirusMOD is a great set. It completely re-invents z3ta+, and you still have the original z3ta+ to use. That said, it might not be a 'first-time' type of installation. It's not impossible, but you do need to follow the directions exactly, and know when to deviate from them to match your own setup. You should probably get comfortable with all that z3ta+ has to offer first.

Should you want to try it again later on, I did find some related links and instructions for both VirusMOD & VirusMOD2.
    They're all in the z3ta section of the Project5 Wiki.
    post edited by b rock - 2008/08/13 17:12:12
    sada10
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/13 16:59:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

I don't want to discourage you here. The VirusMOD is a great set. It completely re-invents z3ta+, and you still have the original z3ta+ to use. That said, it might not be a 'first-time' type of installation. It's not impossible, but you do need to follow the directions exactly, and know when to deviate from them to match your own setup. You should probably get comfortable with all that z3ta+ has to offer first.

Should you want to try it again later on, I did find some related links and instructions for both VirusMOD & VirusMOD2.
    They're all in the z3ta section of the Project5 Wiki.

Thanks for your help B rock!-r the other downloads this difficult?

fr4ncesco
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Z3ta patch download debacle! 2008/08/16 14:19:08 (permalink)
    hello there,

as b rock wrote, I made that mod years ago (summer of 2003)

unfortunately these days I don't have access to my music PC (until early september, maybe...), so I cannot give precise/useful indications just going by memory

basically the issue is represented by the 1.4->1.5 transition, which introduced a different file/resource management (mainly for Vista compatibility), while the mod was made with z3ta+ v1.4

so please have some patience, I will provide more informations asap

regards
    Francesco
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1