Z3ta+ vs Rapture

Author
LHousehold
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2010/06/28 11:52:05 (permalink)

Z3ta+ vs Rapture

Which out of these two is the best synthesizer for cakewalk? I got z3ta+ free with Sonar producer and I have rapture LE but I've heard that rapture is like the new version of z3ta+ somewhat. Please post any opinions.

Windows 7 64 bit
Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer
Cakewalk A-500PRO MIDI controller

6 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/28 12:10:38 (permalink)
    LHousehold

Which out of these two is the best synthesizer for cakewalk? I got z3ta+ free with Sonar producer and I have rapture LE but I've heard that rapture is like the new version of z3ta+ somewhat. Please post any opinions.

What they have in common are that they are both written by the same guy.  After that, there's a world of difference in the way they are implemented.  Rapture is a more recent product and has some sophisticated features not found in z3ta, but z3ta has a few very impressive capabilties that Rapture does not, particulaly in the area of wave form manipulation.

I suspect a lot of folks would recommend you get both.  Also, there have been some indications that Rapture will be replaced or upgraded in the future, suggesting that a bargin bin price for the full featured edition might be available at some point.  If you're on a budget, start with z3ta and learn what you can with Rapture LE with the intent of picking it up when you can do so really cheaply.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/28 14:30:11 (permalink)
    I use Rapture a lot more.  They are both 6 oscillator playback synths and use SFZ.  Rap is quicker to program and comes w/ more presets you can tweak.  Dmbaer is correct that Z3ta has ways to alter the waveform that Rapture skipped, and that Cake recently sent out a query about what we want in Rapt II.  However, it may be a year or more before it comes out.  Cake will probably have another $99 Rapture sale, and for that price it is well worth it.  Or wait for Rapt II if Z3ta floats your boat and save for II.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/28 19:22:18 (permalink)
    AT

They are both 6 oscillator playback synths and use SFZ.

Are you sure Z3ta+ supports .sfz?  I believe it can only load single cycle waves.

Although their architecture is somewhat similar the sound is completely different in my opinion so yes you could own both and be happy.  Although I've not really warmed up to Rapture yet.

Z3TA+ is somewhat buggy and development appears to have stopped.

AT
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/29 01:10:43 (permalink)
    Tek,

ya, I think that is right - the SFZ.  It is confusing.  SFZ player is for Sound fonts, not SFZ.  I think René used it as a jumping board to SFZ, tho. 

And yea, Z3TA is dead, although it still works great on my 32 bit system.  But all development stopped - or went into Rapture/Dim.  René did all three.  Cake bought Z3ta and had Rene' do the other two.  I still hope he is on the Cake team.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/29 01:20:25 (permalink)
    AT

Tek,

ya, I think that is right - the SFZ.  It is confusing.  SFZ player is for Sound fonts, not SFZ. 

Very confusing.  SFZ player will play SFZ files (I can not get it to play soundfonts  [*.SF2] in 64 bit) but SFZ+ will not play SFZ, only SF2.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    AT
    Re:Z3ta+ vs Rapture 2010/06/29 16:00:51 (permalink)
    confusinger and confusinger.  I think I only have SFZ+, which was the later one, I believe.  I'm ready to get out my soundblaster right now.

@

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1