Zet]ro latency monitiring

Author
Zeth
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2012/12/08 06:34:55 (permalink)

Zet]ro latency monitiring

Hi all still pondering about buying a new V Studio 700 system.
I have a few questins which need answering so I hope some of you guys cam put me right.

Heres the situation, i have a  profesional studio currently and want to down size as i will be retiring to France soon. I have been looking at the 700 and on the face of it even with the compatability isses with X2 i am still interested. (i dont mind even having to downgrade to 8.5 if it works).
So heres my queries.
I need to be able to set up a headphone mix lets say for a singer. They will need to hear the backing however also need some FX on their vocals, but not have it printed to a track. Second i would like to record at the same time an acoustic guitar again with FX and a headphone mix, some what different to the singers mix. I can currently do all this and much more as i use a Yamaha 02r 96 and this is all at zero latency.
Question is can i do all this with the 700 system?
Many thanks for you help.

18 Replies Related Threads

starfield
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/08 07:48:22 (permalink)
    If you decide to go that path ... buying VS700 ... on your way to France stop by in Germany. I have a 6 month old VS700C with 2 VS700R for you (including 3 boxed SONAR Version) at a price you will not be able to resist.

Win10SP1,SONAR Platinum, Cubase 8 Pro, Ableton Live, Cakewalk : VS-700 Cons. & 2 I/O's. YAMAHA Tyros4, MOTIF XS Rack, MOXF8,  Roland JUNO Stage. Dell Precision T7500 Dual HexCore 5650@3.5GHz, 96GB RAM
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/08 17:22:22 (permalink)
    Edit - describing wrong method. Will come back to this when I've thought it through.
    post edited by John T - 2012/12/08 17:23:55

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Zeth
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 07:07:26 (permalink)
    Let me elaberate,
    I only record live instruments, i dont use virtual instruments.
    I have a three pice band to record, two acoustic guitars, one bass, and three vocals. Thes guys want to do it live, (record all at the same time). Each want their own headphone mix, each want reverb on their vocals.
    I want to record each instrument and vocal to its own track in sonar without any FX reverb etc, so i can add it later at the mix stage.
    Currently i can do all of this with my 02r96 system at zero latency. 
    However i want to down size my system and I am looking for a smaller system such as the V700. I cant see how this would be done on the V 700 without incuring latency throug the drivers and fx processing.
     Can all of the above be done using the V Studio 700 at zero latency.

John T
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 08:46:21 (permalink)
    OK, so the problem here is that you can set up fairly sophisticated routing for headphne mixes and effects while recording so on via Sonar itself, but that means introducing latency. Depending on your computer and the complexity of the project, this may be low enough to work with; it's certainly worth exploring.

Using direct monitoring instead is possible, but with some limitations.

For direct monitring, you only have three output options, "Main", "Sub" and "Digital 1". These are all stereo.

You can't route individual inputs to different outs for monitoring, they're just either on or off.

I've done a fudge for recording singers with reverb in their headphones a few times. I have their mic coming in on one channel, and the direct mix outputs for both Main and Sub on. The singer is listening on headphones to just the Main output.

I then patch in a hardware reverb (I just use a cheap pedal for this myself) to the sub output and bring it back in on another input channel. The reverb is set to fully wet as you would for a bus effect. This then also apears in the singer's headphones.

You've probably already realised the problem with this, which is that the reverb signal coming back in will also be going out of the SUB output and back to the reverb and into an infinite loop. In parctise, I find that with low levels of reverb, I do ok, and it doesn't go into a big feedback howl.

The other obvious limitation here is that you end up with monitoring reverb on everything. I haven't figured out a way of doing it ore selectively.

So there you go; bit of a cludge, but it can be useful.

To be honest, for the scenario you describe, I would try to get your latency low enough and do it through software. That way, you have access to far more outputs, and can set up different headphone mixes. You don't really have that in direct monitoring (you can do two different headphone mixes, but that requires using the Sub output, so you can't do it at the same time as my reverb trick).

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 09:13:44 (permalink)
    Zeth,

If you want to add the Octa-Capture to the set-up (extra 600 EUR) you get an integrated system (VS-700R + Octa-Capture linked via VS EXPAND mode). This gives you up to 5 different direct (zero latency) monitor mixes and for the 1st mix on the Octa-Capture you can use the build-in reverb (but unfortunately not for the other 3 mixes on the Octa-Capture, nor the one on the VS-700R).

But as John said, if you get your DAW latency low enough, you have far more options. It takes some tweaking and a few days to sort out all the options you have (w/ VS-700R + Octa-Capture) to find the best suitable combination. I do a lot of direct monitoring via the Octa-Capture, but usually blend in a few tracks with FX through the DAW ... works nicely as I can run fairly small ASIO buffers.

Let us know if you need more details on these options ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    John T
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 09:33:36 (permalink)
    Ah, that's a good point. You could direct monitor the instruments and software monitor just the vocals with reverb on. So the latency hit would be lower.

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 12:02:11 (permalink)
    You 10 analog outputs on the V700R. That's 10 mono outputs or 5 stereo ouputs, 2 sub stereo outputs, 1 main stereo ouput. Using the 10 analog outs for headphone mixs is possible through routing in Sonar. You guys are talking about latency through Sonar as if it's large. It shouldn't be even noticable if everyone plugged in is on the same output chain. A small headphone mixer on each position will give you what you want.

Craig DuBuc
    Zeth
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 12:09:36 (permalink)
    Hi guys, thanks for the info.
    It all seem a bit coveluted and not something you just throw together. One of my bigest problems in running a pro studio is time, with the setup i have 02r96 i just dial in whatever i need for the client (to make them feel happy it takes seconds) and away we go,  recording evertyhing totaly dry. Maybe the 700 is not the way to go for me. i think i need to explore other options. A very expensive unit i was realy hoping for more versitility no the recording side, however it look like mixing on the 700 would be a dream. All done in the box.
    OH well :)
    stevee9c6
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 464
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 13:50:45 (permalink)
    I think it is far more versatile than you think.  I have had zero issues with latency and headphone monitoring. If you are adding effects to a monitored signal, there is no such thing as "zero latency".  It doesn't matter if you are using VST or outboard effects. If you do anything to the direct signal in any system, it introduces latency.  It may be so small that you don't hear it, but it is there.  I have a Lynx Hilo interfaced with my VS700 that I use extensively.  I rout my monitor sends out to a alesis R12. These are then sent to a Presonus monitor controller in my vocal booth or to room sends. I also then monitor from the mix position from the Hilo headphone out.  I have other options if I take the Hilo out of the loop.  (However, the Hilo has an internal 32x32 mixer which is insanely versatile.)  The entire VS700 system has it's flaws with X2 that we have been promised a fix for.  Non-Versatility is not one of the units shortfalls unless you want to use it with a Non Sonar DAW such as Pro tools.

Steve 
    www.stevestallingsmusic.com
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 16:12:46 (permalink)
    Hey John is it not possible to set up a signal flow for example where the input signal comes in and goes out direct via the direct mixer with zero latency monitoring to the output (Main for example) The input signal could also be routed into Sonar and the reverb created there. Now in Sonar you don't monitor the input/dry signal but rather the reverb only.

That way you will hear the direct signal or dry with no latency and the reverb effect might have a very small latency which could be perceived as a form of pre delay. ie it should be OK. That way you would not have to use the reverb pedal the way you are now. Just a thought.

Also the Octa Capture mentioned above (for the OP) has added versatility in the area of headphone mixes etc..

A digital mixer connected to a DAW is far more powerful than anything the V Studio system can do. I think the problem of setting up the input monitoring and headphone mixes with effects etc is one thing and that can be solved but the much larger problem is really how the V Studio works with the latest version of Sonar and when and if they fix that.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Zeth
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 16:35:19 (permalink)
    So i guess you are using the Alesis r12 as you FX unit and moniter router.
    I didnt want to get into adding different units one for this and another for that.
    I want a totaly simple compact 8 input unit that is user friendly quick to set up as my 02r, but with the total or near enough intergration into sonar.
    Very conflicting view, I think i need to get sone hands on use and see for myself how i would work it. Nothing is ever simple.
    Alternativley after all this i could just get the Yamaha's smaller brther the 01v96 and continue working the way i do.  
    John T
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 17:24:37 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

Hey John is it not possible to set up a signal flow for example where the input signal comes in and goes out direct via the direct mixer with zero latency monitoring to the output

It certainly is, I do it all the time, and that's part of the process I describe above. Are we talking about different things here?
    post edited by John T - 2012/12/09 17:30:16

John T
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/09 17:35:22 (permalink)
    Ah hang on, I see your point. Yes, I think that would likely work quite well. Any latency induced lag on the reverb wouldn't matter for these purposes.

I wish I'd thought of that, it's way simpler than what I've been doing. Duh!
    post edited by John T - 2012/12/09 17:58:38

Dyonight
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 529
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/10 11:15:23 (permalink)
    Zeth

Let me elaberate,
    I only record live instruments, i dont use virtual instruments. 

Then no need for the VS-700R, grab an Octa-Capture with the console. Apparently they sound the same. No Fantom. No ADAT I/O either, but you can link 2 of them for 16 mic pres and stereo spdif I/O. Auto-sens is killer according to users here. 8 direct/no latency stereo headphone mixes possible, 2 with hardware reverb/echo, for the price of one VS-700R...
    I have a three pice band to record, two acoustic guitars, one bass, and three vocals. Thes guys want to do it live, (record all at the same time). Each want their own headphone mix, each want reverb on their vocals. 
    See above. As Jeff said, a software reverb work nicely. Set pre-delay to shortest and the system latency will add a very short one for you. Work awesome and remember, with 2x octa-capture you get 2x hardware reverb, so less stress on the system.

I want to record each instrument and vocal to its own track in sonar without any FX reverb etc, so i can add it later at the mix stage. 
    Yes that will work.

Currently i can do all of this with my 02r96 system at zero latency. 
    However i want to down size my system and I am looking for a smaller system such as the V700. I cant see how this would be done on the V 700 without incuring latency throug the drivers and fx processing. 
    Yeah that won't work easily and that's been a frustration for me. I tried to figure a lot of options and the Octa-Capture one is one them, paired with a Presonus HP-60.

I finally grabbed a Furman HDR-6 and 2x HS-6 for monitoring. VS-R's direct mixer left/right to channels 1/2 (I pan to L/R to create mono sub-mixes on each channels), outboard pre direct out to 3/4, Sonar Mix to stereo input. Reverb in the box. Works like a dream and musicians don't bother me anymore ;)

edit: ah yeah, you need an D/A converter for this setup cause sub and main out's level are both adjusted with the volume knob. So you have to use the digital 1 out in the Direct Mixer tab... 

Can all of the above be done using the V Studio 700 at zero latency. 
    With Octa-Capture Yes. But as Jeff said, latency or "pre-delay" is not an issue with fx like reverb or delay ;) The vs drivers are very good and with a good i7 machine (or i5, they are cheap as hell) you'll find latency should not be a problem with reverb at all.

post edited by Dyonight - 2012/12/10 11:24:16

Sonar Platinum (Latest monthly update) / Roland A300-pro / AMD FX-8350 / Firepro V4900 / 16gb ram / RME HDSPe MadiFx
    Zeth
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/11 17:25:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Dyonight.
    I have an appointment with my local store and would you belive a Roland rep to demo the 700 for me over the week end. Hopfully i an put the thing through its paces and see for myself what can be done with it.
    Thaks all for your valuble input.
    bigboi
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 260
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/14 19:52:12 (permalink)
    feel free to buy mine.......in excellent condition.  its on ebay right now.  pm me for details.  comes with original box.  used in pro environment.

I7 920, 8 gigs ram, Newest gigabyte motherboard, 100 gig ssd for operating system and program files, 1 TB 7400 rpm for storage, Full V-Studio system, 2x Motu 2408 MKIII, 2x Motu 24 I/O, Maschine, Kore 2, Virus TI2, Korg m3, Novation Supernova, Novation D-station, Mo Phatt, Elektron Machine Drum, MicroKorg XL, Arturia Origin, Korg Triton, Roland jv2080-completely expanded, Avalon 737SP, 3 Sony premiere monitors, 2 event 20/20 studio monitors, Autotune AVP1, TC Helicon Voiceworks, 1 TC Electronics Powercore 6000, 1 Powercore Firewire
    Zeth
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/27 17:51:45 (permalink)
    Having borrowed one for a week i dont think its for me. Its much to pricy, i find the pre-amps just a little noisy at very high gain. I dont like having to use software fx for headphone monitoring, and i dont want to get more gear to offset this. The control surface is verygood smoth and silent, however having tried an AVID Arts surfaces at a third the price i may considerv that. Now X2 has touch i may try a 17" monitor and see how that fairs. in fact an all in one pc with touch may be the way to go. And still have change from three and a half grand.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re:Zet]ro latency monitiring 2012/12/28 07:20:41 (permalink)
     in fact an all in one pc with touch may be the way to go.
    been there, done that. now the touch all-in-one pc is nailed to the wall for tracking jam sessions where you don't have to do much other than pull up a few templates, arm tracks, push record ... i tried to use it seriously for a while but always ended up being better off (faster & more accurate) with the mouse ... so after the touch experience I bought a real control surface ...

of course, that was x1 and win7 and everything is moved with index fingers these days ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1