a little question about key measurements

Author
BaselAS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/09/27 10:45:06 (permalink)

a little question about key measurements

Hi Im new to the forum and to Keyboard world xD
I have a little question about the sizes of the keys...

my first keyboard controller was a very old Bohm which I used for about 2 months.

Recently I started looking for a new Keyboard controller and I found that the cakewalk A800Pro would be the perfect balance of what I need. when I bought it and went back home I found out that the keys are smaller and Im finding it hard to get used to them.

the length of the white keys on the Bohm was 14cm and the black keys about 8.5cm.
the length of the white keys on the Cakewalk is 13.3cm and the black keys is 7.5cm.

my question is: is this the new standard for key sizes? I mean, are all light-key keyboards like this?

4 Replies Related Threads

bvc
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:a little question about key measurements 2010/12/12 08:55:18 (permalink)
    I can't speak for the A-800Pro, but I can speak for the Edirol PCR-800, which I owned for a bit and feel is essentially the same in terms of keys as the A-800Pro. The keys on the keyboard are slightly smaller, and no, it is not the new standard. They are slightly smaller than the keys on any major synth or MIDI controller (Axiom, MPK, Remote SL, Korg Triton, the list goes on). 

It took some getting used to, but now I actually prefer the smaller key size. I wrote some bass lines on the PCR that ran over one octave, and trying to play it now on the Axiom, my fingers can't reach the top note smoothly at all. I miss it. (How I lost it is a long story, but the moral is: never deal with Guitar Center.)
    Scoox
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:a little question about key measurements 2011/08/14 01:14:43 (permalink)
    So then the keys of theA-800 PRO and siblings are actually narrower than standard full keys. Would you kindly post the width of 3 or 4 octaves for reference?

Also, as I am playing to learn piano do you think this keyboard may not be a good idea as the keys are non-standard size?
    S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:a little question about key measurements 2011/08/17 08:06:26 (permalink)
    I play the piano aswell as my A-PRO and they're both as useful as eachother for different reasons. When i want fast repeating notes, i use the A-PRO, and when i want to play a piece with lots of dynamics, i play my full size, semi-weighted, digital piano.

Personally, i think learning to play on the A-PRO first will help you when it comes to playing the piano. Mostly because the keys are closer together so your fingers won't have to stretch as much, and you'll find it easier to play at a consistant volume (or chosen adjustable dynamics) than a piano.

Basically, the A-PRO is easier to play than a piano. Because of this, you can focus on the actual notes that you need to play, and not be getting fraustrated because your fingers can't stretch enough, and because you can't hit the keys hard enough,  and/or play at a consistant volume.

That only really applies if you're learning to play other people's music, which i'd assume you would be as you're learning. Learning to play the song on your A-PRO first allows you to just focus on the notes. When you can play the song on the A-PRO, learn to play it on the piano.

That's what i did for the first 6 months because i was always fraustrated when i was hitting a piano note, and it was just too quiet, or too loud, or seemed impossibly too far away.

Now i'm sure hardcore piano students and players will tell you that i'm wrong, and that you should learn the notes and piano subtlities at the same time, but i'm self taught and it was a lot easier for me to learn by learning the song on the A-PRO first, and then on my piano when i knew all of the notes off by heart.

Of course now though, i don't have to learn the songs on my A-PRO because i'm very used to a piano now. But if you're just starting out The A-PRO is a great choice. I'll be honest and say that the Axiom key's do play more like real piano keys than the A-PRO, but the A-PRO's keys are still very nice to play (and sometimes better than real piano keys). And the A-PRO will intergrate with Sonar a LOT better than the Axiom - which is why i brought the A-PRO over the Axiom.

Sorry for such a long post, i just wanted to show that you shouldn't always get a keyboard with keys just like a real piano. And certainly not for electronic music that has fast repeating notes.
    kc2ine
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:a little question about key measurements 2011/09/06 03:26:30 (permalink)
    cakewalk/edirol controllers keys suck big time - there are short and narrow no way close to any standards.

V-Studio 100, Sony VAIO i7 2.93GHz/ 8GB RAM, Pianoteq, Sonar X1 Studio, ezDrummer, Macbook Pro, Roland RD700GX stage piano, Yamaha Motif XS6 workstation, Rode NT-1A, AKG Perception 220 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1