"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
2010/07/21 18:18:59 (permalink)

"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered

If you pick a chord and style/rhythm in BIAB is it considered as you writing a song or is it just a tool to "JAM" with ?

EXAMPLE.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJg-YerdBk8&feature=related

"?" #2... would you consider this as a way to record your music ?

thanks !
post edited by BIABDude - 2010/07/21 18:33:09

31 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 18:50:13 (permalink)
    The CHB would say that when I pick my nose (or any other orifice) I think I'm writing a song.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 19:00:30 (permalink)
    He's drowning out all the good stuff with that infernal guitar.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    BIABDude
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 19:33:06 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

He's drowning out all the good stuff with that infernal guitar.

LOL ... good one!
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 19:42:53 (permalink)
    Band In a Box... is that anything like Sir Releigh in a can?

Craig DuBuc
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 20:29:50 (permalink)
    if you're wanting a serious answer:
    If you pick a chord and style/rhythm in BIAB is it considered as you writing a song or is it just a tool to "JAM" with ?

well, I think that would depend on how you use it.  it could be used either way. and it will also make melodies for you, so if you use it that way then it's not really you making the song, it's BIAB making the song.  if you create the melody and the chords and just use it for accompaniment, then it's just a tool to help you write.  (and I use it that way and I play along with it as well).

I already do that.  I use it to play the parts that I cannot.  I am primarily a vocalist, but I play a little piano/keyboards.  I will use BIAB to create drums, guitars, bass, and other instruments to go along with my keyboards and vocals.  all of my songs are like that (except the ones that I have collab'd with others on and even then I still use BIAB for drums or other instruments that the combination of me and the collab partner don't play).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    BIABDude
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 21:39:25 (permalink)
    Beagle

if you're wanting a serious answer:

well, I think that would depend on how you use it.  it could be used either way. and it will also make melodies for you, so if you use it that way then it's not really you making the song, it's BIAB making the song.  if you create the melody and the chords and just use it for accompaniment, then it's just a tool to help you write.  (and I use it that way and I play along with it as well).

I already do that.  I use it to play the parts that I cannot.  I am primarily a vocalist, but I play a little piano/keyboards.  I will use BIAB to create drums, guitars, bass, and other instruments to go along with my keyboards and vocals.  all of my songs are like that (except the ones that I have collab'd with others on and even then I still use BIAB for drums or other instruments that the combination of me and the collab partner don't play).

excellent!.....and I was looking for a serious answer.
    thanks!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 21:56:10 (permalink)
    serious answer.....

1.  since BB creates the song randomly in this manner...... no, it would not be considered as ME writing the song..... however, I find that most of the time the "songs" that BB "creates" are lacking something or other. I will often take what BB comes up with...... find the spark in it, and then expand on that by changing the chords, or the style and converting it form BB to my song. I do consider the song at that point to be mine, and I copyright it as well.

2. Yes. With in reason. Some tunes I will use quite a few BB tracks in the final song. Other tunes that are written in BB I will use BB to start and convert or record the tracks to audio.

Example.... Oil on the Water..... I wrote that in BB using BB as a scratch pad of sorts.  I export the BB file to audio and it renders 5 tracks. I kept the drums, and recorded the bass myself using Cakes Sound center Ric Bass. On Oil, I deleted the piano track BB created.

I really like the scratch pad aspect of BB for writing and composing music.  It is not the cure all for writing... you still have to have a creative spark inside. 

Quite a few of the jazz tunes I write start in BB but the first draft sounds nothing like the final versions that you hear in the songs forum.

As a final note: using BB in the way that the guy in the video did.... write a basic 1/4/5 blues jam chord pattern and jamming is a fun and excellent way to hone your chops.

BB is what you make of it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/21 21:58:05

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Guitarhacker
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/21 21:59:59 (permalink)
    So Band in a Box Dude......

I have wondered why YOU have not posted any songs made with your version of BB......?

BMI/NSAI

BIABDude
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 00:19:39 (permalink)
    I can't play any chords on my acoustic only notes on a single string. I kind of see my music as being the example above. I dont see it as writing only trying to JAM to a selected style of music tracks.  I feel like I'm cheating the musicians that can really play who think I'm playing the instruments when it's really BIAB.  Plus it really sounds to midi or elevator to my ears.

thanks
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 01:11:40 (permalink)
    If I play cowbell along with a Blue Oyster Cult record, am I creating art or just embarrassing my cat?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 07:35:26 (permalink)
    that's not embarrassment that's envy

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 08:03:48 (permalink)
    Bruce Dickinson would think you're creating art and encourage you to "explore the space."

BIABDude - keep working on it.  in fact, if you don't know how to do chords, then use BIAB to load some chord progressions of songs already in BIAB (there are hundreds!), use your guitar to create the melody since you can already do individual notes (hear the notes that go with the chords that BIAB is playing for you).  then increase your knowledge and skill - start learning to play chords along with BIAB.  I just think you need encouragement to continue learning is all.
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/07/22 08:08:23

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 08:18:05 (permalink)
    bitflipper

If I play cowbell along with a Blue Oyster Cult record, am I creating art or just embarrassing my cat?

Don't fear the reaper...or the cowbell...... just play.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 08:39:25 (permalink)
    BIABDude

I can't play any chords on my acoustic only notes on a single string. I kind of see my music as being the example above. I dont see it as writing only trying to JAM to a selected style of music tracks.  I feel like I'm cheating the musicians that can really play who think I'm playing the instruments when it's really BIAB.  Plus it really sounds to midi or elevator to my ears.

thanks

Not a problem. With all those styles you can have a blast.  I debated over that issue... is it cheating or not. I determined ...not.

No different than you hiring a musician to come in a play drums for you. How many of us here use a VST/Loop based drum program to provide the kit? When you do that... is it cheating because you can not play drums and the chances are pretty good that the drummer is NOT going to play it exactly like you want it played? So is it cheating?  What about a piano player, or a cello player, or a guitar player? All of these are available now from various vendors and they sound pretty good.... is that cheating?  I continue to say no, it's not.

These are simply tools to use to accomplish the art. The carpenter who uses an electric saw, is he cheating over the carpenter who faithfully uses a hand saw? I don't think anyone would think so.

So if you use BB, and have it come up with a chord progress, as it can do...... use that to get started. Alter it a bit.... give it structure, because BB originals are usually not very structured.  Change up sections, delete sections... alter chord progressions, copy, paste...... make it yours.

Use Real Band to render  the sampled instruments. You can make BB sound less midi by working with it.

Either way.... post some stuff that you are doing and let us hear it.... perhaps we can offer suggestions that would help. Several of us here us BB.

All you have to do, if you are concerned about people thinking you might have played the parts is to put a disclaimer in that it's BB doing it.  No big deal there.

BMI/NSAI

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 09:49:18 (permalink)
    Beagle

Bruce Dickinson Moshkiae would think you're creating art and encourage you to "explore the space."

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 11:50:30 (permalink)
    I always thought Band in a Box was for after the show?

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 14:32:03 (permalink)
    bapu

Beagle

Bruce Dickinson Moshkiae would think you're creating art and encourage you to "explore the space."

BIAB?

Nahhh ... I'm gonna play with Emily Howell!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jonbouy
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 14:35:44 (permalink)
    I'm gonna play with Emily Howell!

Does she know?

Moshkiae
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 14:44:29 (permalink)
    bapu

Beagle

It's not that I "think" ... it's that I KNOW.

And it was one of the big learning things about the late 60's and early 70's. Heck, ask Roger Waters ... eventually playing with sounds and effects teaches you to ... use notes!

All it really does is teach you a form of inner freedom that teaches you how to use notes better, more efficiently and in a much clearer and precise way ... than you might have before.

Or you can just go use BIAB! But in my book Emily Howell is better looking!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 15:33:49 (permalink)
    I don't use BIAB. I use Jammer. But if YOU composed the chord progression, it's YOUR song, whether you employ actual musicians or BIAB to fill it out. I only use the drum tracks, but if I thought I could use an instrument track, I wouldn't hesitate. The important thing, to me, is completing MY song the way I like it. I can't turn to other musicians all the time. BIAB is just another tool, no worse than any virtual instrument.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 16:34:25 (permalink)
    mcourter

I don't use BIAB. I use Jammer. But if YOU composed the chord progression, it's YOUR song, whether you employ actual musicians or BIAB to fill it out. I only use the drum tracks, but if I thought I could use an instrument track, I wouldn't hesitate. The important thing, to me, is completing MY song the way I like it. I can't turn to other musicians all the time. BIAB is just another tool, no worse than any virtual instrument.

Hi mcourter,

I don't believe chord progressions are considered a "song"..They are not copyright protectable, as far as I know.

I think it's the melody which is where the "song" established...Besides, a "song" can be harmonized in many ways.

However, one other thing is the execution of a song, i.e,, the song as performed is also copyright-able, meaning the work as done itself can not be reporduced (as copying a CD for instance).

This is from my memory, so any clarifications/corrections would be welcome.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Guitarhacker
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 17:25:59 (permalink)
    No Key... you're right about the chord progression..... you can not "copyright" a chord progression, title, or groove ... if you could, music would end as we know it.... how many songs use the 1 - 6m - 4 - 5 ( C-Am-F-G) progression, or some variant?

It's when you add the rhythm to it, that it starts to become unique and the melody sets it completely apart, as a new and copyrightable tune.

(yeah I know you can copyright any song and it is all covered upon recording.... yeah I know that, ... you know what I'm talking about)

BMI/NSAI

Ham N Egz
    • Total Posts : 15161
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 18:17:00 (permalink)
    johnnyV

I always thought Band in a Box was for after the show?

OR THIS?

Green Acres is the place to be
     I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Jonbouy
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 18:19:38 (permalink)
    I'm a bit like Hendrix I guess.

I can play Band in a Box behind my head.......

.....with my teeth.

Moshkiae
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/22 18:56:53 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

I'm gonna play with Emily Howell!

Does she know?
    Actually she does ... you have to believe in the "unknown" and enjoy surprises ... in music ... to have fun with Emily!
    She's good too!

I wanted a chance with the CHB, but ... I'm not Sonar literate! So I went with Emily! I do hear that Bapu makes a mean spaghetti, but I have not tried hers yet!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/22 19:05:11

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/23 16:11:29 (permalink)
    NoKey

mcourter

Hi mcourter,

I don't believe chord progressions are considered a "song"..They are not copyright protectable, as far as I know.

I think it's the melody which is where the "song" established...Besides, a "song" can be harmonized in many ways.

However, one other thing is the execution of a song, i.e,, the song as performed is also copyright-able, meaning the work as done itself can not be reporduced (as copying a CD for instance).

Well, you're talking about the legal aspect. I'm talking about the creative aspect, but, granted, I may have glossed over a few details. So let me re-state: if YOU compose the chord progression/melody/etc, it makes little difference whether a live musician gives you his version of the instrumentaion, or if BIAB does it. The point being, what we're really trying to do is create something, and BIAB is as valid a tool as any.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/23 17:24:08 (permalink)
    mcourter

NoKey

mcourter

Hi mcourter,

Well, you're talking about the legal aspect. I'm talking about the creative aspect, but, granted, I may have glossed over a few details. So let me re-state: if YOU compose the chord progression/melody/etc, it makes little difference whether a live musician gives you his version of the instrumentaion, or if BIAB does it. The point being, what we're really trying to do is create something, and BIAB is as valid a tool as any.

I agree with every thing being a tool, even up to the Mind, the ultimate one.

If anyone compose something that meets the standards already there for a song being accepted for copyright, they won't ask  "how did you create it".

If you use the typewritter, or pen, or pencil, or a wordprocessor to produce a novel, or lyrics, and copyright it, all they care is if it is original to a certain degree..

Otherwise people would have to invent their own language and alphabet.

My comment was limited to the fact that chord progressions don't constitute a song, by what I have read before and should be common sense.

I realize, though, that due to language and space limitations, what we read as posted is not the total meaning.

The truth to much of this is that sometimes even lawyers and judges have trouble in  what is original and what's not, not just in songs.

It seems to me most of what we discuss here is not in that situation, or it does not get discussed here.

So, to me it's play and do. ...If you consider it is original, it is until proven different, seems to me.... If it is contrieved plagiarism, then that's another thing.

Some even say that there's nothing new under the sun, though!
    post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/23 17:29:14

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/23 22:03:35 (permalink)
    My comment was limited to the fact that chord progressions don't constitute a song, by what I have read before and should be common sense.

Because todays society seems so into the nit picky technical side what is a song............?(And everything thing else we  think we are knowledgeable about)

Let me put this out... (nicely) in many circles, where musicians are not limited in their chordal knowledge , by their technique or constrained by main stream thoughts of music.............

Many songs are written and performed using only chordal progressions which within themselves are carrying the melody, not in scaleular sequence, but chordal and tonal relationships ...............some of these progressions are the melody.... and some are melody-less in all ways?  

This has been seen within jazz circles for decades.......... 

There are many prog artists out there doing the same.......

Now some may debate is it a "Song" or an "instrumental"?

But that also opens another argument............

Is it a melody or .............just repeated scale? .... or sequence.........?

The whole idea or realization of a song.........is very open to conversation.........

For me........just because  something can or cannot be copy written or published cannot be taken as absolute law or.......... FACT......................as to what is a "Song"

History has shown many cultures,  Races, Religions an Artists have different ideas of what  ...........

"Song"...............................means to them..

Just my 2........

Better make it  3 cents.............
    Moshkiae
    Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/23 22:05:51 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Bit ... I would say you are bored!

Hehehe!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1