acoustic vs electronic drums

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fgelinas
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2009/01/27 10:06:40 (permalink)

acoustic vs electronic drums

I play in a 50's and 60's band and decided to record an homemade cd. I want the drum kit to sound natural. I am able to mike my kit and get a decent sound. Then, the drummer tells me he just bought a Yamaha DTExpress IV electronic drums and would like to use it instead of my acoustic kit. I never worked with an electronic drum kit. Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Of course, I'd really like to be able to record the drums in midi and be able to correct the performance at will... but I already invested in a better set of overheads...

What are your thoughts about electronic drumsets? Anything to say about the DTExpress IV?

54 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 10:40:08 (permalink)
    electric drums coupled with superior drummer 2 (or EZ drummer , Addictive drummer) ... is extremely popular

seems these are the no-brainers for most of us ... especially for us creative drummers.

Acoustic Drums require a professional studio and professional miking techniques ... and you'll likely not even come close to the samplers due to phase issues and overhead mic issues.

OTOH, If you are a seasoned drummer and have a professional that can make you a drum studio, wow! But you'll still resort to samplers in your mixes.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 10:44:49 (permalink)
    agreed with philip - someone who has never played an electronic kit may have a hard time transitioning, but it can be done if you do it then you have much more control over the sound than with an acoustic kit - at least in the respect of being able to change the sounds to different kit sounds with samples.

for someone who's never used one - it will take a lot of work to get used to because you don't hear them the same as you do an acoustic. it's completely different from the drummer's perspective.

of course, it's not ever going to sound the same as a good acoustic set live.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 12:13:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fgelinas

Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Nope. You'll always be able to tell there are samples being played instead of live drums.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 12:29:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: skullsession

Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Nope. You'll always be able to tell there are samples being played instead of live drums.

Which of course in certain cases can be a good thing...

Funnily enough I'm always trying to get close but as Skull says you'll always be able to tell but I just posted this on the songs forum today which is a midi version of the drums and bass from 'Close to the Edge' as a result of my pursuit toward narrowing the gap.

Let me tell you my programming here exceeds my ability to have played the same part and I used to play for a living...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1616080

This is a custom built sample kit using several NN-XT samplers in Reason
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/27 12:46:21

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    skullsession
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 16:59:26 (permalink)
    Yah....you know what? Painfully obvious samples.....

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Jonbouy
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 17:38:23 (permalink)

Yah....you know what? Painfully obvious samples.....

Yah....and ya know?...just as there are some painfully wooden players, I see you've opted for a few of those......

Ahh, I see yes of course drum machines don't pay you studio fees, so it's gotta be worth telling even the most fundamental rookie what a 'great feel' he has then he'll come back for more.

Each to their own is the best bet. I reckon

post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/27 20:32:18

skullsession
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 20:32:42 (permalink)
    No need to take it personally. We were only discussing the differences between samples and a live kit.

There is room for both...and many times samples are very important for supporting a live kit.

Jonbouy
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 21:00:59 (permalink)
    I didn't get any more personal than parodying your style.

And you'll see if you look up that was my original point, whereas at the time you seemed to blanket state samples were no good nothing more...
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/27 21:16:56

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/27 23:29:40 (permalink)
    you can get pretty far with DFHS and some V-Drums. the problem isn't typically the sound of the samples (in most genres no one pays attention), in fact studios will often trigger samples on top of a live performance rather than spend time with gates and compressors and "how did i miss that flub in measure 63".

the problem is that it is very difficult to program a believable groove that fits the song. also, non-drummers tend to not understand how a drummer plays drums, and it shows up in the way they program them - usually little bits of cleverness that no drummer could perform, either because of anatomical limitations or plain good conscience (and that's saying a lot).

sample sounds do make a difference, particularly whether they are right for the song or not. tuning is one issue - drums are often tuned to a particular key that goes well with the song's key. if they've already got reverb, that can also be a problem if it doesn't "go" with the verb you are using for the vocals or whatever. but i would argue that there are samples out there that sound far superior (pun intended) than what many of us could get in a day's time, even if we had a decent-sized and sounding room.

for those of you who run real studios of course, it's a different story. you do this for a living, you know you need to tune the heads and where to place the mics and to keep the drummer's girlfriend in the lobby. we mortals on the other hand, can probably get farther with samples than with a live kit.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 02:19:48 (permalink)

You'll always be able to tell there are samples being played instead of live drums.

I'm not sure that's really the issue. Honestly, I'm not sure it even makes sense.

Is the issue the sound of the drums, or the playing of a drum part?

If it's the drum part, then it takes either careful programming or skilled drumming, like JTEC said.

If the issue is the drum sound, there's no such thing as the sound of "live drums" in a recording, only the sound of drums recorded more or less well, and mixed more or less appropriately,

In the context of a record, "live drums" -- as opposed to "live drummer" -- doesn't mean anything, just like "live vocal" or "live guitar amp" doesn't mean anything. It's all recorded. It's all sampled. None of it is "live." Even the engineer and the producer are less concerned with the "live" sound that what comes out of the studio monitors. That's all that matters.

From that point of view, well produced drum samples, carefully selected for a project, should *sound* as good as the "live drums" did when they were sampled. And they will still *sound* good no matter how poorly they're MIDIed or triggered by a live *drummer*.

When these distinctions get obscured, too much of the process remains mystified and bad paths are gone down.

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 02:28:36 (permalink)
    Im sure glad I do a lot of music where it is more about the overall sound of the song and electronic sounds are welcome! To be able to record an actual band is nice and often a great thing, but it isnt needed to do the kind of thing I do and I dont loose anything not haveing the live drums and such.

Now a 50's and 60's band? Well, you can get a great sound with elctronic drums. It will sound cool if you work with the midi and mix it right and use the right samples, but those old bands were all live so ya gotta go live to get the same sound. Still, I think same sound and good sound doesnt have to happen at the same time :)

You can make something very cool and quite "natural", not truly live miced drums, but nice! And, since you are playing and not just programming, your feel will be recorded, which to me is one of the most important parts os it all ;)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    skullsession
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 09:25:53 (permalink)
    No one asked if the sounds would be "good". I never said that samples couldn't SOUND GOOD....just that it is usually obvious when they are being used.

This isn't a question of insulting someone's preference for sampled sounds over the use of a real drum kit. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I listen to music with either or both all of the time. The question the OP had was, will my electronic kit sound "natural". It seemed the question revolved around the decision to use a real drum kit or the electronic kit.

If you want your drums to sound "natural", then the decision is easy to me. Maybe my mistake is in assuming that "natural" means a "real drum kit played by a living drummer at the time of the recording." And it's not a question of "good" vs "bad" sound - rather nuance.

Hit a snare once. Hit it 5 times in rapid succession, and the sound will be different from the single hit. Hit a tom hard once. Hit it soft, and then hit it hard immediately after that......there are nuances there that you can't possibly "program". When the shell of a drum is resonating from a previous hit, the next hit is always affected in a way that is directly related to the dynamic if the previous hit. THESE are the nuances that are not captured by firing off samples on (or off) a grid.

Is there any argument that a "live" ride cymbal has nuance to it which is not possible with triggered electronic samples?

Bill Clinton - "It depends on what your definition of 'IS', is."

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 10:52:57 (permalink)
    I'm gonna hang with Skullsession on this one. I've recorded V-drums and various other electronic drum systems here in the past. I don't remember ever thinking, "gee I can't tell the difference". It's not so much an issue of the quality of the samples themselves (the single hit sounds) but the nuance of the overall performance.

What style of music are we talking about? Some form of nu-metal/techno? Blues? Jazz? Grunge? Britney Spears Pop? In many cases, that sort of artificial, machine-like quality is perfect (or even necessary). But there are plenty of other scenarios where that would never pass muster. Try it and see is the best answer. Do a song and then sit back and listen and decide for yourself.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 11:06:38 (permalink)
    I'm gonna hang with Skullsession on this one. I've recorded V-drums and various other electronic drum systems here in the past. I don't remember ever thinking, "gee I can't tell the difference". It's not so much an issue of the quality of the samples themselves (the single hit sounds) but the nuance of the overall performance.

What style of music are we talking about? Some form of nu-metal/techno? Blues? Jazz? Grunge? Britney Spears Pop? In many cases, that sort of artificial, machine-like quality is perfect (or even necessary). But there are plenty of other scenarios where that would never pass muster. Try it and see is the best answer. Do a song and then sit back and listen and decide for yourself.

What Larry just said . . .

and also for recording you could try mix and match - use a natural snare and hi hat and then electronic pads to trigger some of the other sounds. I just wish some drummers wouldn't use cymbals quite so much!

Andy
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 11:37:13 (permalink)
    As a regular user of V-Drums, I can tell you that the weak link is the hi hat. Nobody has yet come up with a totally realistic way to play the hat electronically. It's maybe 80% of the way there. But still not enough flexibility to fool everybody.

Snare, kick, toms... no problem usually. Cymbals... the better libraries like BFD are pretty realistic w/ V-Drums, unless you're trying to do a washy thing.

It's all a trade off either way.

IME the least satisfying results are from using "grooves", which are basically just MIDI that some other drummer played and you're cutting up and pasting together. Even with the most skillful editing I think this always lacks "feel" and "vibe". But whatever floats yer boat...
    Jonbouy
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 12:00:56 (permalink)
    Is there any argument that a "live" ride cymbal has nuance to it which is not possible with triggered electronic samples?

No one had any argument with that and it wasn't a puerile case of 'who's hanging with who' or 'who's side are you on' as far as I knew.

My point had already been made in that sometimes resorting to programming or using electronic drums is a better bet than having it played OR recorded....BADLY. There wasn't an issue with your original statement, in fact if you read mine you'll see I completely agreed with you.

You've only got to read back through the thread in the order it unfurled in all honesty in order to see why it took a swerve!

Much like the local hairdresser regularly shampooing the old lady's hair you gotta be nice to your clients I ain't knocking that its an honest living, but I'll bet after you've spent 3 days setting somebody up that can't play when you know you could have laid down a convincing track in a couple of hours that you find it really hard to bite your tongue on occasion, I'll even venture to suggest you have some hilarious memories of some real 'prize' ones.

Like I said its down to who's paying and who's the payee in this case as it's not likely you are stand by your admirable ideals of getting the very best quality when you are gonna lose a weeks worth of paid time by doing so. Surely you'd go broke.

So why is stating that them samples sound 'painfully obvious' any less personal than saying someone sounds like they would be better served resorting to other means than taking up studio time?

You have a valid point that I agreed with at the outset and still do.

But like I said sometimes using mechanical means can be a better bet....as long as you are calling the tune.

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 12:03:35 (permalink)
    All this is true about not sounding 'as real' but for that matter 80% of recorded music WITH LIVE DRUMMERS doesn't sound the same as a 'live' performance because it is sooooooo controlled (recorded separately, or with dual takes ....etc...) and studio perfected. The exception being the rawest stuff like punk and low budget rock/rockabilly bands.

oops... ....i see Jon beat me to the point
    post edited by No How - 2009/01/28 12:13:14

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    tcolton5
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 12:17:54 (permalink)
    I like to record live drums then use a drum-replacement program such as "Drumagog" to replace the kick & snare. So the overheads and tom mics which are real are now mixed with replacement kick & snare. The overall sound is pretty good because the overheads pick up some of the kick and snare as well as the drumagog sample. I've never used electronic drums or midi. Not sayin that those programs are bad, I just don't use them. www.drumagog.com.
    Tom.

TomC
    Lenovo T530 (Laptop)
    Windows 8 (64 bit)
    Intel(R) Core (TM) I7-3430(M) 2.90 GHz
    Sonar Platinum 
    Presonus Firestudio, Faderport
    Universal Solo/610 Audio Pre-amp
    Nektar Impact LX 40
    http://www.tomcoltonmusic.com
    skullsession
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 15:01:06 (permalink)

Sylvan
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 793
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 16:55:25 (permalink)
    The question was: "Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?" The word "It" is refering to the electronic kit.

I suppose it might be possible, but obviously if you record acoustic drums with real mics in a room, you will get that "natural" sound. With the electronic kit there is a very legitamate question whether that can be achieved or not. So I guess it is a matter of taste. Experiment and use what sounds good to you.

I know no one asked my personal opinion, but if they did, I would say...

As an engineer I feel a certain amount of pride and accomplishment when I achieve sounds through old fashioned hard work. I feel better about myself and my abilities when I actually use them and am able to get decent results. If I were to use an electronic kit for drums, I would feel as though I cheated or something. I of course use samples to replace kick drum every so often, but when I do, 90% of the time I created the sample myself from that very kick drum. I use Drumagog for that.

But is extremely rare that I would use any replacement on anything else. I figure I will learn more and gain more knowledge by "biting the bullet", "facing the music" or whatever and challenging myself to get usable results without using machines to do it for me.

Anyway, my opinion is unique to my case I and I am aware that it will not fit with many engineers philosophy. Please know I do not mean to say my way of thinking is the only right way. I just mean to say that is the right way for my and I gave my reason why. So please do not be offended.

SONAR Platinum
    RME Fireface UFX
    Tascam US 20X20
    Tascam US 16X08
    Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
    Asus X99-AII
    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
    Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
    Jonbouy
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 17:10:02 (permalink)
    Please know I do not mean to say my way of thinking is the only right way. I just mean to say that is the right way for my and I gave my reason why. So please do not be offended.

Charles

An intelligent, intelligible post from a reasonable stand point how could anyone be offended by that?
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/28 17:14:12

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 21:24:27 (permalink)
    so to the OP's question, will it sound "natural", if by that you mean authentic, then yes you would need real drums to get an authentic sound. if you mean, can you get close, well you can with an electronic kit.

i think i said this before but i'll make it really short and to the point:

bad room + real drums = don't bother.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/28 23:32:57 (permalink)
    LOL! So true!
    bad room + real drums = don't bother

These equations can get pretty tricky!
    What about?:

remote collaborator (percussionist) + real drum studio
    + drum-samplers
    + Sonarite
    --------------------------------
    = drum-heaven

IIRC, in one or more pieces, Mr. Spaceduck did an intro only with real drums and continued with a sampler. It was spectacular to my ears.

I'd certainly love to have a drum collaborator-friend vs. my Superior Drummer 2 for my intros, middle-8s, and/or epilogues! ... or whatever else that real drummer felt he'd want to integrate.

OTOH, as a 2nd year Sonarite, I'll certainly not be ashamed of electric drum-sequencers as the proven golden-standard of percussion ... for wide audience appreciation and/or pop genres.
    post edited by Philip - 2009/01/28 23:53:37

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 00:45:35 (permalink)

I play in a 50's and 60's band and decided to record an homemade cd. I want the drum kit to sound natural. I am able to mike my kit and get a decent sound. Then, the drummer tells me he just bought a Yamaha DTExpress IV electronic drums and would like to use it instead of my acoustic kit. I never worked with an electronic drum kit. Will I be able to get a natural sounding drum sound out of it?

Of course, I'd really like to be able to record the drums in midi and be able to correct the performance at will... but I already invested in a better set of overheads...

What are your thoughts about electronic drumsets? Anything to say about the DTExpress IV?

If you're playing in a 50's and 60's band why not use what you already have? Especially if you're doing covers with a lot of conservatism. Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing Rock Around The Clock with a Jazz Bass à la Geddy Lee.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    fgelinas
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 07:44:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog
    If you're playing in a 50's and 60's band why not use what you already have? Especially if you're doing covers with a lot of conservatism. Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing Rock Around The Clock with a Jazz Bass à la Geddy Lee.

Oldies, but with a modern sound. I'm nowhere close to Geddy Lee at the bass though...

I'll give the electronic kit a chance. From all the posts, it looks like the drum module by itself shouldn't even be considered but that I should load a professionnal sample library. I just listened to EZDrummer Vintage rock kit and it sounds really good... I'll A/B it with my current setup.
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 09:37:48 (permalink)
    well I haven't added my 2 cents in a while, and what a wonderful opportunity to embarass myself - as someone said the weak link in sampled percussion is the hi-hat (and much of latin percussion) - when I first became a drummer (yes, before e-drums, and when the only sampler out there was the mellotron) it took a while to get over the fact that what I heard when I was behind the kit (the 'natural' sound) didn't match up with what I heard on playback. I have yet to hear a recording of anyone playing live that sounds anything like the real 'natural' sound. Someone pointed out that engineers monkey with the sound so that its all, in a sense, sampled. I agree, because that's what engineers and mastering is all about, making the track sound 'good' without regard to 'naturalness'. That being said, I also agree that you can sometimes tell when a drum track has not been played by a real drummer because of various subtleties (although, if you have enough drummers together: see Concert for Bangladesh). I disagree that you can always tell a midi-only piece from a 'live' performance, but even so, who cares? Does the song sound good? That's all that matters... and to the OP - yes, if your drummer is any good, it is possible to record e-drums and make it sound as close to a-drums as you want it to be. Personally, I use e-drums to free myself from the limitations of a-drums, but that's just me... I'd like to think there's room for it all in the musical world... otherwise there would be no death metal or gangsta rap... and wouldn't that be a shame?

CMWright
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 10:50:43 (permalink)
    Right, Mr.Wright.

If your (all of us) drum track is a basic pattern with an occasional fill (not played by an octopus) and it's one of the better sampled products then there is no way on earth the average listener is going to stop the song and say "Those aren't real drums, i'm not listening any more"....ain't gonna happen. If it's a band with a fella like Jon Bonham or the drummer in Red Hot Chilli Peppers than there is a definate presence that is not possible electronically. These ppl are more than basic drum patterns they are artists in their own right.
    For basic drum tracks in a pop or country or even metal song the average listener (the ones who will be listening) will not notice the difference. If the drummer is more than a beat-keeper, like Keith Moon then that is a different story and in that case it wouldn't matter if he was playing garbage cans it would still shine of something different and special.

Just to be clear and dodge a few tomatos....i did not say there was no difference...just that it will not be noticed by the average ears.
    post edited by No How - 2009/01/29 12:03:38

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 11:52:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: serauk

- as someone said the weak link in sampled percussion is the hi-hat (and much of latin percussion)

Just so that my original thought is clear... my comment isn't to the point of the samples quality, it's to the point of playability. Very difficult to get a great performance from e-drum hats. And to attempt to do so takes so much concentration that the rest of the performance suffers, IME. IOW it doesn't flow like a real kit does in performance.
    tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: acoustic vs electronic drums 2009/01/29 22:18:12 (permalink)
    I'm probably one of the few has gone the opposite direction. I sold my DT Express kit and purchased good acoustic drums, mics, etc. It hasn't come easily, but after two years, I can get good drums sounds consistently. I have a good room, and I have have really worked at it.

The difference is really in the timbre, dynamic-response and the decay of the samples vs. live playing on acoustic drums. For example, cymbals produce completely different waveforms depending on stick angle, portion of stick in contact, velocity, etc. The samples don't seem to really offer all of the varieties of the cymbal's timbre. The same goes with the velocity, direction, sticks used, heads, etc. A snare picks up much more of the snare wires when hit towards the center of the head, and rings with less snare wire when hit towards the rim. These are the subtleties that you can really only get from acoustic drums. But, on the other hand, recording them cleanly by one's self takes good tuning, time, patience, etc.

I'm definitely much happier with the drum sound I get now vs. the sounds I got from the DT Express, but it did take just shy of two years to get it where I feel like I know how to do it on demand.

Just my 1.4 cents.

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1