actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK

Author
Hermu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2015/05/10 04:30:36 (permalink)
1 (1)

actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK

on GITHUB https://github.com/Cakewa...lk-Control-Surface-SDK i have found open sources for some Cakewalk surfaces:
ACTMidiController, MackieControl, VS100, VS700

Everyone with C++ knowlege can use this framework to build her own control surface plugins for SONAR

i think this information should be made more public to MIDI hardware controller manufacturers

8 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 05:00:55 (permalink)
    That's why you found it. Cakewalk put the SDK in the public domain a good while ago. Cakewalk have clearly chosen the path of supporting development for touch control rather than hardware controllers.thats the reason why they released the SDK into the public domain.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 05:11:44 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    there's been little change to the initial touch support since x1... however, some useful folks have already picked up the SDK ball and are running with it, see this thread: http://forum.cakewalk.com/You-can-integrate-your-Control-Surface-with-SONAR-as-deep-as-you-want-m3125708.aspx

just a sec

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 05:13:34 (permalink)
    Aszlow3 has been doing really good old work with the SDK. Seems to really know his stuff.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 05:26:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Cakewalk put SDK in the public domain long before they have made the first touch enabled version (before the first touch screen was made). The last UPDATE of this SDK, together with VS/MCU source code, was moved from CW site to github not so long time ago.

Manufacturers are aware and was using the SDK. But most of them (I guess after counting the number of customers) are no longer doing that. The latest example is Naktar. They have made a plug-in for Impakt, but then they have written nothing for Panorama. Novation still use it in Automap.

And not that it was not explained OP in his previous thread...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Hermu
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 11:21:42 (permalink)
    azslow3
    Cakewalk put SDK in the public domain long before they have made the first touch enabled version (before the first touch screen was made). The last UPDATE of this SDK, together with VS/MCU source code, was moved from CW site to github not so long time ago.

Manufacturers are aware and was using the SDK. But most of them (I guess after counting the number of customers) are no longer doing that. The latest example is Naktar. They have made a plug-in for Impakt, but then they have written nothing for Panorama. Novation still use it in Automap.

And not that it was not explained OP in his previous thread...

Congratulate, you have done a great job with your "AZ Controller" MIDI controller config Plug-in
    Now i have tested your "AZ Controller" and i would ask, why is this "AZ Controller" plugin not part of Cakewalk package?
    With "AZ Controller" i can configure now my MIDI hardware after a first settling-in period almost easily.

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/10 13:22:06 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    That is an option I was talking about from the beginning.

AZ Controller is not in Cakewalk package because I am just a user, I am not working for Cakewalk.

As you can see I am also preparing ready to use preset for this plug-in, in case someone has no time/background to configure it the way he/she wants, but has time to test the result and report what is not working (since I do not have any of these devices). That is why I have asked which particular device you have and what you are missing in its functionality. I can try to help then.

The plug-in has like 90% of what SDK provides, the rest 10% I simply do not need myself nor was asked to implement. At the same time, there are many features which do not exist in other plug-ins. If something can be done and is requested, I normally just code it.

There are many bugs in SDK and Sonar which are Control Surface related. There are some parts from Sonar which are not covered by SDK at all (Matrix for example). And CW does nothing in that direction since years. At the same time, what exist and work has sufficient power to cover above average needs.

Note that AZ Controller has no strict device <-> preset relation. So every new feature coded is available to use with any device.

From what I know, there are (successful) attempts to convince Launchkey/pad illuminate pads according to user preferences. The same for MCU (not really)compatible devices. So, apart from some "proprietary" protocols (made by manufacturers to be incompatible on purpose) it is possible to work with modern surfaces in Sonar. Other question who really want spend time for that. At the moment, CW, Manufacturers and ... users show close to no interest.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Hermu
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/12 07:32:58 (permalink)
    azslow3
    That is an option I was talking about from the beginning.

AZ Controller is not in Cakewalk package because I am just a user, I am not working for Cakewalk.

As you can see I am also preparing ready to use preset for this plug-in, in case someone has no time/background to configure it the way he/she wants, but has time to test the result and report what is not working (since I do not have any of these devices). That is why I have asked which particular device you have and what you are missing in its functionality. I can try to help then.

The plug-in has like 90% of what SDK provides, the rest 10% I simply do not need myself nor was asked to implement. At the same time, there are many features which do not exist in other plug-ins. If something can be done and is requested, I normally just code it.

There are many bugs in SDK and Sonar which are Control Surface related. There are some parts from Sonar which are not covered by SDK at all (Matrix for example). And CW does nothing in that direction since years. At the same time, what exist and work has sufficient power to cover above average needs.

Note that AZ Controller has no strict device <-> preset relation. So every new feature coded is available to use with any device.

From what I know, there are (successful) attempts to convince Launchkey/pad illuminate pads according to user preferences. The same for MCU (not really)compatible devices. So, apart from some "proprietary" protocols (made by manufacturers to be incompatible on purpose) it is possible to work with modern surfaces in Sonar. Other question who really want spend time for that. At the moment, CW, Manufacturers and ... users show close to no interest.

if i would have'nt post here, i newer would know anything about AZ Controller and i think most HW developers and CW users have the same problem. It's time to make it more public, maybe a reference on CW MIDI controller support documentation or online documentation and you could also use KVR Forum to present your AZ Controller.
    I think here on this CW forum are mostly CW users and no HW developers...
    Hermu
    Re: actual MIDI controller support with Cakewalk Control Surface SDK 2015/05/12 08:19:54 (permalink)
    I have created AZ Controller presets for:
    M-AUDIO Oxygen 61 3rd gen
    NOVATION Impulse 61 DAW-Mode
    iCON iControls
    these presets could also be used as template for unsupported HW MIDI Controller and only MIDI Commands must be reassigned on Hardware Tab.

presets can be downloaded on:
    http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,171.0.html
    post edited by Hermu - 2015/05/16 03:28:24

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Aspire XC-605, Intel i7 4770K @ 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, Onboard Sound, ASIO4All
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    NOVATION Impulse 61, M-Audio Oxygen 61 3rd, Roland SD-50, EMU Shortboard 49, iCON iControls, Akai APC mini
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1