adding compression to track with hardware after recording

Author
stevenbennett19
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2017/05/26 01:11:20 (permalink)

adding compression to track with hardware after recording

hello
I'm a part timer, hoping someone can tell me if this is possible and maybe where to look to learn how to... A track gets recorded, I want to run it through a compressor or perhaps another piece of hardware. Can I run the recorded track through the hardware and maybe onto a new track with the effect added. I'm using Sonar Platinum and M-Audio M-Track8. I have some decent hardware, but not more than 1 or 2 lines of the good stuff is available per performance. So if I record multiple tracks at once like drums, I'm limited to just preamps for the rest. I'd like to go back individually for each track to make improvements using the hardware. Thank you

13 Replies Related Threads

randyman
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 02:25:06 (permalink)
    I assume you could send the audio out to your audio interface and record it's output to another track sort of thing.

Though Sonar has some pretty decent compressors (even some specifically for drums) available.

Yes, I could be wrong so you mileage may vary.

Good luck!

A rack of noisemakers is not a definitive substitute for creativity. (though it does seem to help)

what I spend my lunch time doing:  (don't laugh - its just for fun!) www.soundclick.com/rnewburn

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 03:03:40 (permalink)
    You should see insert external insert when you right click in an fix bin.

Is must be routed to a hardware output of your computer and back in through a returning hardware input.

So you neede to have enough hardware I/o with your interface...

You could do one track at a time and re/record each track individually...?

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 03:39:45 (permalink)
    Personally I see no point in this. Traditionally we use hardware compressors while tracking to tame any overs. Once the track is recorded we can use plug in compressors on a track because you will maintain your signals integrity.

Running audio through A/D   D/A converters instead of staying "in the box" only makes some kind of sense if the converters and the compressors are very very high end. There seems to be a myth that you should run your audio through some analog gear to make it sound better.. This might only be true for the very high end gear. What we have as plug ins, if used properly, blows away most of the hardware that's affordable.   

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 03:41:59 (permalink)
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 03:53:08 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Personally I see no point in this. Traditionally we use hardware compressors while tracking to tame any overs. Once the track is recorded we can use plug in compressors on a track because you will maintain your signals integrity.

Running audio through A/D   D/A converters instead of staying "in the box" only makes some kind of sense if the converters and the compressors are very very high end. There seems to be a myth that you should run your audio through some analog gear to make it sound better.. This might only be true for the very high end gear. What we have as plug ins, if used properly, blows away most of the hardware that's affordable.   

I will say ^This^. But this is Sonar and the great thing about Sonar is that it can pretty much do whatever you want.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 04:01:39 (permalink)
    Yea, it all depends upon the hardware you want to go through.  Converters, most modern converters are good enough so re-converting doesn't hurt the quality of your sound.  Set up an insert as noted above and run a signal (or silence) in and out and re-record it 2-3 times and see if you can tell the difference.  If the quality sounds the same, you should be good to go.

The external hardware compressor (or EQ) should be good enough to add some wow factor to the sound.  Otherwise, digital effects should be fine.  I've done re-recordings with an Warm 76 and WA2A, both takes on classic hardware "effect" compression, where the transformers and circuitry provide a tone or sound to the recording, as well as envelope control of the sound.  Digital emulations get close, mostly close enough, and work well (more for envelope control) when you record through the hardware in the first place.  Playing a take back out and re-recording it is the next best thing and I'll sometimes do that since a "classic' recording chain is going into an 1176 and then into an La2A and some times I don't have both available. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 04:05:17 (permalink)
    Cactus Music

Pieces of analog gear are often used for their characteristic quirkiness and are not necessarily expected to be neutral.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 08:45:19 (permalink)
    Extern hardware makes sense if you have very high-quality equipment. And also very noble digital converters.
    Or with very special effects like analog delays or a flanger from EHX ...
    No problem with SONAR.
    I would play the original track through the equipment and record the output to an other track. No problem.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Psychobillybob
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 16:28:44 (permalink)
    Lots of myths in the mix here...first off the "average" prosumer converter of todays products can handle frequency conversion FAR OUTSIDE the realm of human hearing...heck 10 year old emu converters will convert A>D>D>A with no perceptual loss in human hearing frequency ranges...this is a scientific fact of the Nyquist frequency formula...(see footnote if you doubt this)

The sound you send TO your compressor is exactly the sound you recorded (provided you did not tweak it in the daw, and even if you did it's still a perfect audio signal) so depending on what you want to do with it outside of the box is completely up to you...I send stuff to my SSL comp all the time and the difference is not subtle compared to my UAD or Cakewalk versions of the same compressor...there is absolutely NO degradation in exporting D>A and back in A>D but there is a TON of confirmation bias in this business so be careful what you believe...

If you want to be free watch the video in the footnote and check out the info...science is better than rumor.

https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

(NwAVguy quoting AES paper:
    Meyer and Moran played SACD content with the ability to switch an A/D –> D/A pair operating at 16 bits and 44 Khz into the signal path. In other words, the high resolution SACD audio was sometimes “down converted” to CD quality. They designed the test to give the listeners “every opportunity” to detect a difference. The testing lasted a year and included 60 members of the Boston Audio Society, many professional recording engineers, fresh eared college students, and a whopping 554 listening trials. After all that, the only way anyone could identify a consistent difference was by cranking the volume unrealistically high during quiet passages exposing the higher noise floor of the 16 bit conversion.
    Think about the implications of the above. Most subjective audiophiles claim to hear differences between CD players, DACs, and indeed most anything that performs a digital to analog conversion. They also consider SACD and other high resolution formats as being plainly superior. Why can’t audiophiles detect any difference at all when the music is subjected to an extra A/D and then another extra D/A process when they don’t know that’s happening?) (here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/subjective-vs-objective-debate.html)

p.s. I built the 02 headphone amp he designed (for less than $100)and it blows everything I have ever used out of the water 

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
    JohanSebatianGremlin
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/26 23:50:00 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    There seems to be a myth that you should run your audio through some analog gear to make it sound better.. This might only be true for the very high end gear. What we have as plug ins, if used properly, blows away most of the hardware that's affordable.   

Affordable is subjective and depends on budget. What's considered affordable to one person might be super high end to another. Likewise what's considered unobtainable high end to one, could be settle for nothing less to another.

If I had a DBX 160a in my rack, yeah I probably wouldn't bother with it. But if I had a vintage DBX160, I'd probably run something through it on every project. If I had a hardware LA2A or 1176 or even just a cheap hardware clone of them, I'd probably at least try it. And if it didn't sound worse but just sounded more or less identical (unlikely) I'd probably use it. Why? Because you never know when the hardware is going to give you extra little bit. My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
    Dickie Fredericks
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 373
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/27 00:04:01 (permalink)
    Outs of the  interface to a D-Box/LT setup to a Langevin DVC to a Daking FET3 back into the interface to a new track which outputs to the D-Box digital in. 
    There are plenty of YT vids on the D-Box and how to integrate it. 

I am also sure you could just get a Mackie mixer and use that as your summing device.
    stevenbennett19
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/27 23:59:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the help. I'll be giving your advice a try over the next couple weeks. I picked up the Warm Audio product line WA76, WA2A, and Tonebeast, along with some new mics, as my gear upgrade. This is really my first major upgrade other than software since around 2005. I've heard such great things about WA that I want to see if I can improve the sound of all my tracks with subtle additions. In the past, the weak link was probably mics and preamps, and poor room acoustics. No matter how many hours I put in, I never could get anything more than a mix that was just ok. Nothing great. Adding all the great software effect options would really bog down my computer. I'm trying to simplify each track, where it sounds great before adding from the effects. I just built a very quiet isolation room. I can't wait to record again, its been such a long, long time. Thanks again!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: adding compression to track with hardware after recording 2017/05/28 01:26:26 (permalink)
    Congratulations.  You got some good kit there.  I found that the better the capture is, in the sense of sounding "finished," the easier mixing got.  A good front end can help with that.  Have fun!

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1