additional VS700R units

Author
Audiodog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2009/06/07 23:35:05 (permalink)

additional VS700R units

Anybody using two VS700Rs in their V-Studio set-up? Does the second unit integrate seamlessly, without any issues? I can see I am going to have to get another VS700R - just too difficult to track a full live band with such limited inputs.

Attached Image(s)

3 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: additional VS700R units 2009/06/08 04:03:21 (permalink)
    Love your dog. I have got a nice dog too but not sure she is going to pose in front of my V Studio system though.

How many inputs do you need for live tracking? Do you realise the ADAT input gives you another 8 input channels with the addition of something like a Behringer ADA8000, which is 16. Then you have the digital inputs (which obviously need some sort of A to D converter working there) and the AUX input on the front for a grand total of 19 inputs.

Of course you may need more than that and that is fair enough if you do. I try to keep the first passes down to 16. With care you can do it but obviously if you have a lot of players and drums going you may need more. I dont run two VS700R's but I believe they do work perfectly together and you get a second Fantom synth in the bargain.

What do you think of the sound of the VS700R. I love it. It is very nice!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Audiodog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: additional VS700R units 2009/06/08 21:17:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. Usually I can get by with 14 inputs for the first pass. Right now I'm using the VS-2480 (the one you see my dog at) as an additional mixer with 8 outputs routed via the Roland R-Bus system through a Roland DIF-AT R-Bus to Adat light pipe converter and sending those 8 tracks to digital input 2 on my VS700R. Besides the pain in the butt of doing it that way, I'm experiencing some kind of digital clocking and/or digital feedback loop that I can't seem to locate yet. I totally get what I'm trying to do, but I'm just not familiar enough with the V-Studio rig to have it come second nature like I do on my VS2480 rig. I haven't had the guts to track anything straight to the VS700R system yet (until I get more confident with it - can't risk a customer sensing I'm figuring out my new system on his dime), so I can't compare the sound to what I'm used to. I primarily track through two Focusrite Red8 pres, four Focusrite Green Voicebox channel strips, and two Universal Audio LA-610s, (and a couple of the pres on the VS2480 if necessary), and straight into the VS2480. Are you primarily using the pres in the VS700R now? What were you using before and how the 700 pres compare?
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: additional VS700R units 2009/06/11 09:24:50 (permalink)
    I am going to try hard to get my dog to operate my V Studio system! Sorry for the slow delay. Have been busy teaching high school kids the virtues of modern technology. It is tiring!

I am assuming you are patching signals through those rather nice outboard things and into your V 700R line inputs. The line inputs dont really bypass the mic pres. They are effectively in parallel with the cannon inputs. (see block diagram in the manual) It is the gain setting that makes them line inputs. You must be patching the other 8 things to your VS 2480 and on into the VS 700R via ADAT.

Let me tell you my setup prior to the V Studio system and there may be some things in there that could help. I used a Yamaha Digital mixer 01V connected to the ADAT inputs on an EMU 1212M soundcard. I also used an Audiowerk sound card. Now one thing I had to do was slave the O1V's digtial clock to the clock coming in from the EMU 1212M sound card. I needed the ADAT connection both ways. Although the 01V was sending 8 channels down its ADAT OUT it needed the clock it was seeing on the ADAT INS. (the 1212M has ADAT and a set of stereo ins and outs. I was not using the analog side of that card at all) Are you setting the 2480 to slave to incoming clock from the VS700R? Without the bi directional ADAT connection I had spitting digital signals getting in the audio. As far as your loop is concerned, the 01V sent the signals from channels direct to the ADAT outs. Make sure whatever input channels you have got things connected to, those direct outs are being sent directly to the ADAT and no where else.

Sonar tracks dont echo the input signal normally so it is easy to avoid a feedback loop on that side of things. So I have not tried something like a 2480 in tandem with the Vs 700R. The reality is I have stopped using the 01V now and yes I do record and very happily in fact straight through the mic pres in the Vs 700R. So do some tests when no clients are around and you will find they sound great. I believe in working on the sound later in the scheme of things. Your outboard things would sit well during a mixdown as well.

But the V Studio can effectively replace your 2480. All you need is a single rack unit that converts 8 mic pres into an ADAT signal. They are around and even the Behringer ADA 8000 does a fine job at that. By removing the 2480 you simplify your setup and there is much less chance of things going wrong. I had a whole room full of gear and now its just down to the V Studio system and it is going great! You can do everything inside there. Using external inserts on Sonar can incorporate your excellent external units into the equation. Just analog signal wise. Dont involve anything else that needs clocking, you dont need it.

I believe the BBC bought heaps of the Roland RSS systems that uses the same mic pres. Also contact Roland if you are still having problems as I am sure they will help too, being both Roland products (VS 2480 and VS700R) and also the connection Roland has with Cakewalk. Hope that has been helpful.

Check out a rather indulgent solo I have done on my myspace. (Solo over a Groove) Its all on the V Studio system. I am doing another mix of it as we speak. (one of the parts did not make it in the mixdown!!)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1